Bank says no - could lose new job

Options

Comments

• cavework
    cavework Posts: 1,992 Forumite
    Options
    So did I, and I still have the scars to remember it by...right kneecap and left buttock (not sustained in the same incident!).

You do, however, heal quickly at 16...but not so quickly at 53!

But at 53 you really should know how hard that road is when you land on it and make allowances..even when the last experience was a push bike when you were 10
    At 16 you were invincible.. at 53 you might be a little more careful .. but you are not ancient FGS..
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Peter333 wrote: »
    a 22 hour shift?! :eek: Maybe I am misunderstanding.
    You are misunderstanding. The obviously eight hour shifts can start at 4am or finish at 2am. This clearly precludes public transport for those particular shifts. No one has to work 22 hours.
  • GaleSF63
    GaleSF63 Posts: 1,536 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    If it is an 8 hour shift or maybe a bit more, then public transport would be available at one end of the shift or the other, and sometimes both.
    Take into account the cost of taxing and insuring a car for 3 months, and using a taxi when you have to may be more expensive but not out of the question if it will let you take the job.
    Once started, you could well find there is someone who can give you a lift part or all of the way.
  • James_B.
    Options
    cavework wrote: »
    But at 53 you really should know how hard that road is when you land on it and make allowances..even when the last experience was a push bike when you were 10
    At 16 you were invincible.. at 53 you might be a little more careful .. but you are not ancient FGS..

Yes, you might get away with it, but, in my opinion, it's a stupid risk to take.

I bike to work across London every day, and it's a very, very long time since I had an accident, but bikes are different to cars. Road positioning, grip levels, balancing front and rear brakes, dealing with ice, these are all different skills.

People can of course do what they want, but it's a rare biker who'd recommend a car driver just hops on a powered two-wheeler without at least a half a day's introductory instruction.
  • I took to the roads, on a motorcycle, with absolutely no formal instruction.

Not only that, but I passed both my Part 1 and part 2, at the first attempt.
  • Prothet_of_Doom
    Options
    http://auto!!!!!.com/topic/18243-anyone-want-to-lend-someone-they-dont-know-a-car/

I have asked at my favourite car related website whether any member can help you out.

Replace the !!!!! with etihs in reverse order.
  • cavework
    cavework Posts: 1,992 Forumite
    edited 29 September 2014 at 8:56PM
    Options
    James_B. wrote: »
    Yes, you might get away with it, but, in my opinion, it's a stupid risk to take.

I bike to work across London every day, and it's a very, very long time since I had an accident, but bikes are different to cars. Road positioning, grip levels, balancing front and rear brakes, dealing with ice, these are all different skills.

People can of course do what they want, but it's a rare biker who'd recommend a car driver just hops on a powered two-wheeler without at least a half a day's introductory instruction.

First was a Puch moped .. hit the road on ice and gravel more than once... second was a Honda express (with the basket on the front LOL) both when I was 16
    learned very quickly from these that the road is a very hard surface
    I have a full motorcycle and car license, I am a 54 year old woman and all I can say is , no matter how much training you get when it comes to riding a motorcycle ,at the end of the day it all comes down to experience learned while riding.
    PS
    what the heck are grip levels?
    AHH you mean tyre adhesion to the road.. blimey I am getting old!
    x
  • Prothet_of_Doom
    Options
    http://auto!!!!!.com/topic/18243-anyone-want-to-lend-someone-they-dont-know-a-car/

I have asked at my favourite car related website whether any member can help you out.

Replace the !!!!! with etihs in reverse order.

If you had £280 http://auto!!!!!.com/topic/18234-renulat-rennolet-renalt-kangoo-for-sale/
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    This idea will probably get shot down in flames but if cycling isn't an option and public transport is out (although I think this would be the best option if it's at all possible with your shifts) then you could get a PDL for a few hundred quid and buy a banger IF you are confident that you could repay the PDL in full on your first pay day and won't have to get another one to see you through the following month.

Usually I wouldn't advocate using a PDL but this might be an exception to the rule.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    A pay day loan is a recipe for financial disaster. As someone else pointed out, taking a taxi would be cheaper!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure