Bank says no - could lose new job

Options

Comments

• Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,694 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Is there somewhere on site you can wait between shifts? It's obviously staffed 24/7, so should have a 24/7 break room.

Whilst not ideal, if you can get the last bus/train there for midnight, and wait until 6am for the first bus/train, you'll be able to travel much cheaper.

It would involve a few hours waiting about, but you can probably just nap or read or whatever. Then after payday you can look at getting a cheap car, and work up from there.
  • Lungboy wrote: »
    Jumping on a moped if you've never ridden before with zero training is a recipe for disaster.

That's how I started, and on a (21 bhp) 125 at that.
    James_B. wrote: »
    I'd really, really not recommend it without a CBT, though, or at least a couple of lessons from a professional instructor.

Bear in mind, the OP isn't a total novice on the roads.

They've held a full car licence, for at least 13 years.
  • gwin
    gwin Posts: 102 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm blown away with the response and the advice. Did not expect this.
    I intend seeing how the family can help first off. I had no idea you could ask the job centre for a loan. Another avenue I can explore.
    Everyone has been so helpful. Really appreciate it.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's a thirty mile round trip which will have to be made in all weathers and in the early hours both before and after a shift. Depends how fit the OP is.
    I think a moped is the most reasonable suggestion. All will involve some cost, though.

Hmm, if only I was speaking from experience......
  • lexington013
    Options
    Can't add any extra advice to what everyone else has already said, but wanted to say well done in getting a job and best of luck.:)
  • cavework
    cavework Posts: 1,992 Forumite
    Options
    Lungboy wrote: »
    Jumping on a moped if you've never ridden before with zero training is a recipe for disaster.

A 50 -125 cc moped ridden by an experienced car driver is not exactly the same scenario as the isle of Mann TT.

Although with the winter coming I would be inclined to get any transport avaliable , go to work and find out if anyone else on your shift lives near by and can help with shared lifts for a few months until you can afford a car of your own
    PS
    I jumped on a moped aged 16 in 1976 with no training and survived ..
  • Peter333
    Peter333 Posts: 2,035 Forumite
    Options
    gwin wrote: »
    Sorry, guys, should've explained, it's shifts that can go from 4am start to 2 am the following morning. Depot is around 15 miles away.

a 22 hour shift?! :eek: Maybe I am misunderstanding.

Have to say, expecting someone to cycle a 30 mile round trip for their job is rather absurd. I would wager that anyone who says that would NOT do that themselves. Especially in the dark!

Maybe a moped though?

Or maybe you could ask a local taxi firm if they could do a special offer for you for the 3 months til you can get a loan.

Not being horrible, but I think it was somewhat foolhardy to apply for a job so far away from home, and hard to get to by public transport (because of the awkward hours.) I would imagine anyone and everyone with no car, would try to find a job that is accessible by public transport, or that is closeby, so you can get there on foot or by bike.

Short of getting a lift, or getting a taxi to give you a special rate for 3 months, I don't know what to suggest. It doesn't surprise me that the bank said no to the loan though.
    You didn't, did you? :rotfl::rotfl:
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    cavework wrote: »
    I jumped on a moped aged 16 in 1976 with no training and survived ..
    So did I, and I still have the scars to remember it by...right kneecap and left buttock (not sustained in the same incident!).

You do, however, heal quickly at 16...but not so quickly at 53!
  • cavework
    cavework Posts: 1,992 Forumite
    Options
    Peter333 wrote: »

Have to say, expecting someone to cycle a 30 mile round trip for their job is rather absurd. I would wager that anyone who says that would NOT do that themselves. Especially in the dark!

Maybe a moped though?

Or maybe you could ask a local taxi firm if they could do a special offer for you for the 3 months til you can get a loan.

Not being horrible, but I think it was somewhat foolhardy to apply for a job so far away from home, and hard to get to by public transport (because of the awkward hours.) I would imagine anyone and everyone with no car, would try to find a job that is accessible by public transport, or that is closeby, so you can get there on foot or by bike.

Short of getting a lift, or getting a taxi to give you a special rate for 3 months, I don't know what to suggest. It doesn't surprise me that the bank said no to the loan though.

I don't agree.. I really admire the OP for going out and getting a job.
    15 miles each way is pretty much the norm around where I live ..I worked shifts and had about the the same travelling distance on rotating shifts
    Once OP starts work , I bet there are others on the same shift pattern who live close to him who would be happy to share a lift for a small contribution towards the cost
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Peter333 wrote: »

You would wager wrong.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport