First plunge with Investment trusts

Options

Comments

• InvestInPoker
    InvestInPoker Posts: 1,356 Forumite
    Options
    bowlhead99 wrote: »
    Not sure Ryan is still around

He left us with this gem, which I almost made my signature but decided best not to.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=67948273&postcount=55
  • BrockStoker
    BrockStoker Posts: 917 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    bowlhead99 wrote: »
    His call of the bottom, which he had been calling for a while, was BEFORE a 30-40% fall.

I guess I missed that rather important "little" detail! :D

Thanks for pointing it out bowlhead.

Can I ask what you think about what he said regarding regions with slower growth actually giving better returns over time? If that is true, it might sway my portfolio allocations slightly.

--

InvestInPoker - Thanks. I was wondering what happened to him!
  • takesyourchances
    Options
    I have not posted in a while, but still been reading most days on the forum and drip feeding my portfolio each month.

I hold Murray International Investment Trust in my smaller fund and share account as one of my IT's that I have been building up, is anyone else topping up on Murray International IT during this downturn with the prices at the moment?

This is a long term hold for me, from I started to put into Murray International it is -20% (I don't mind movement as I hold for the very long term) at the moment in my account so looking to increase some of this at a discount to what I was buying at before.

Thanks
  • talexuser
    talexuser Posts: 3,500 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Murray International? I topped up a grand in for each grandchild a couple of months ago looking at a 15 year timescale (in their Mum's ISA). It would be nice if it started to show some upturn in the next couple of years, if not I'll have to rethink sticking with it.
  • bigfreddiel
    bigfreddiel Posts: 4,263 Forumite
    Options
    BLB53 wrote: »
    I am a big fan of ITs and hold several mainly for income - similar situation to yourself. I hold City of London, Edinburgh and Temple Bar from your list - also Murray International, Finsbury Gr & Income and New City High Yield. The average yield is around 4.5% compared to less than 2% on my cash savings. I am sure the others you mention would be just as good.

The only thing I would say is that the share prices can swing around quite a bit - mostly up over the recent years but be prepared for some years when the markets turn down.

Having said that, the income stream is very reliable and rises each year to keep ahead of inflation.

A good site to check out is diy investor http://www.diyinvestoruk.blogspot.co.uk/ lots of articles on various investment trusts and portfolio summaries... also have a look at the John Baron Autumn/Winter portfolios http://www.johnbaronportfolios.co.uk/

Good luck!

John Baron does it for me, you can also read his monthly article in the Investors Chronicle each month, usually the first issue of the month.

fj
  • george4064
    george4064 Posts: 2,817 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 7 February 2016 at 9:48PM
    Options
    Any people here invested in BlackRock Comms Income IT (BRCI)?

Been thinking about investing in it, to get a broad exposure to the undervalued commodity stocks that have taken a hammering lately...
    "If you aren’t willing to own a stock for ten years, don’t even think about owning it for ten minutes” Warren Buffett

Save £12k in 2021 - #027 £15,268 (76%)
  • JohnRo
    JohnRo Posts: 2,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It's been on the radar for a couple of years, decided against thankfully, I already have significant commodity exposure elsewhere and buying BRCI now is, for the most part, a punt on oil price rises and the dividend payout being maintained, neither of which I'm convinced is going to happen in the foreseeable, given the global situation. Could well be wrong of course, nothing ventured etc.
    'We don't need to be smarter than the rest; we need to be more disciplined than the rest.' - WB
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    george4064 wrote: »
    Been thinking about investing in it, to get a broad exposure to the undervalued commodity stocks that have taken a hammering lately...

Why are commodity stocks undervalued? Taking oil in isolation there's currently an over supply. Nor are prices likely to return to recently seen levels for 20 years. Personally I see little attraction in a broad sense. As Glencore has shown many of these companies are burdened with high levels of debt. Selling off assets is a necessity to simply stay solvent. For others it's a cut back in exploration and capex. Which will result in lower future revenues. I'm waiting until the mist has cleared and there's a little more certainty.
  • Norderney
    Options
    I have not posted in a while, but still been reading most days on the forum and drip feeding my portfolio each month.

I hold Murray International Investment Trust in my smaller fund and share account as one of my IT's that I have been building up, is anyone else topping up on Murray International IT during this downturn with the prices at the moment?

This is a long term hold for me, from I started to put into Murray International it is -20% (I don't mind movement as I hold for the very long term) at the moment in my account so looking to increase some of this at a discount to what I was buying at before.

Thanks

I'm investing monthly with Hargreaves Lansdown into a SIPP. I currently have the following in my SIPP
    FUNDS
    Woodford Equity Income
    Fundsmith Equity

ITs
    City Of London
    Perpetual Income & Growth
    Caledonia Investments Plc
    Henderson Far East Income
    Schroder Oriental Income
    Murray International
    Finsbury Growth & Income
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Norderney wrote: »
    Caledonia Investments Plc

I've been following this trust for a while. But remain undecided. What do you find appealing if I may ask?

I assume that they've taken a sizable hit on their holding in Rolls Royce. Which goes to show even professional managers get exposed to the unforeseen.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure