First plunge with Investment trusts

Options

Comments

• masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,485 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Norderney wrote: »
    My head tells me just to ride it out and not to panic into selling, but it's not always easy in markets like this to sit on your hands and do nothing.
    It's easier when you don't look. Strategic ignorance works wonders for those of a nervous disposition.
  • takesyourchances
    Options
    Any thoughts anyone on Standard Life Investment Property Income Trust?

I have a smaller income / dividend based portfolio in my fund and share account, with a couple of IT's City of London and Murray International, along with Woodford Income and Newton Asian Income as funds.

I was thinking to add a property investment trust with a reasonable dividend as a bit of diversify with a smaller allocation and was looking at this Standard Life one.

Thanks
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    masonic wrote: »
    It's easier when you don't look. Strategic ignorance works wonders for those of a nervous disposition.

I was in France during the big summer crashes in 2008/9. I had no internet access and no tv. I had radio 5 live to tell me the world was ending, I just ignored it lol.
  • Glen_Clark
    Glen_Clark Posts: 4,397 Forumite
    Options
    When I am thinking of trading I try to remember the investors whose portfolios do best tend to be those who have died - because the dead don't tinker with their portfolios incurring extra fees, get panicked into selling when the market is low, or encouraged into buying when the market is high. The dead simply ignore market noise from vested interests telling them to sell this or buy that.
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” --Upton Sinclair
  • Glen_Clark
    Options
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Family owned and controlled was my concern. Unlike other investment trusts they cannot buy back the shares to narrow the discount against NAV. As would then effectively have to take full control.
    That was my concern too, but at least it means someone has enough skin in the game to hold the management to account. In the end I was swayed by the large discount and bought in on 2.10.13, so Caledonian has done well for me, covering my losses on EM trusts.
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” --Upton Sinclair
  • Rollinghome
    Rollinghome Posts: 2,677 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Glen_Clark wrote: »
    I try to remember the investors whose portfolios do best tend to be those who have died...
    I'm all for maximising returns but as a ploy that seems to be overdoing it.
  • Glen_Clark
    Options
    I'm all for maximising returns but as a ploy that seems to be overdoing it.
    Perhaps ;)
    But a guy I know has built and kept his his entire £600k portfolio in FRCL, another has built and kept his entire £1m+ in ATST, just adding what spare cash they have. Both are large general Investment Trusts that haven't done all that well, but I wouldn't be surprised if they have both done better than most of the traders on here.
  • Norderney
    Norderney Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    Glen_Clark wrote: »
    Perhaps ;)
    But a guy I know has built and kept his his entire £600k portfolio in FRCL, another has built and kept his entire £1m+ in ATST, just adding what spare cash they have. Both are large general Investment Trusts that haven't done all that well, but I wouldn't be surprised if they have both done better than most of the traders on here.

They have not done too badly either. Looking at Morningstar the NAV and share price performance was negative in 2008 and 2011 but they made gains in all other years. Both are down about 3% so far this year which may not be too bad considering what we went through in January.

Over a 10 year period you are unlikely to have lost money with either of them, but may have made some gains overall.
  • takesyourchances
    Options
    I am looking at HICL Infrastructure IT for my separate income based portfolio of IT's etc in my Fund and Share account, would the dividends still be within the yearly £5000 allowance etc with this being a Channel Islands based company?

Anyone hold this IT?

Thanks

• TCA
    TCA Posts: 1,530 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 24 February 2017 at 8:31PM
    Options
    would the dividends still be within the yearly £5000 allowance etc with this being a Channel Islands based company?

The £5k 0% band covers all dividends, whether UK or overseas.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure