Money Moral Dilemma: Should I charge my Mum for my old phone?

Options

Comments

• menshevik
    Options
    My son gave his Mum his out-of-contract i-Phone 4 for Christmas. Plus a year's contract for calls, texts and some mB. Except she promptly changed the direct debit from his bank account to hers saying he couldn't afford to pay for her contract on top of the one for his own new phone. They still fight but his room is there if he wants to come home. It's only when you have kids of your own that you understand how this game works.
  • patm_2
    Options
    duchy wrote: »
    And for next week's moral question MSE style

"My Mum is joining us for Christmas dinner should I charge her for her meal ?"

Sheeesh !

This happened to a friend. His sister-in-law charged him and his elderly mum and aunt for Christmas dinner. He offered to pay for all of them, s-in-law said no, they had to pay for themselves, to make sure they appreciated it. And no, she wasn't hard up. After dinner she picked up the dish of leftover turkey and THREW IT IN THE BIN! [Cue row of annoying smilies]

Back to the main question. Give your mum the phone. Don't tell her you turned down £50 for it.
  • mamagill
    Options
    I paid the contract for my son's phone and he wanted to sell it when he upgraded.........er no, gave it to my grandson and he was well happy........be nice to your mum!
  • debbiesmum
    Options
    Seriously? You had to ask others about this?
  • Maryspacecat
    Options
    Omga
    Can't believe you even wondered about this
    Where's the dilemma
    She's your mum durbrain
    Give give give
    Love love love her
  • Mark654385
    Options
    pjsmiffy wrote: »
    Err given that you have been offered £50 for the phone and you love your mum....
    No
    Sell the phone at the best price you can and buy your mum the best new phone with the money (add some money). The Moto G is a great starter smart phone for parents (my parents both over 65 have one each)

And wrap it up as a Christmas/birthday/other gift.

This exactly what did. Got a great price for my Nexus 4 and got my mum a brand new Moto G. Didn't add a bunch of flowers though...
  • jillmarie
    Options
    I've heard the phrase 'tight as a duck's !!!!' but never heard of anyone this tight. She's your MOTHER!!!!! for God's sake.
  • commandomum
    commandomum Posts: 18 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 25 September 2014 at 9:42AM
    Options
    How tight are you? You should be ashamed of yourself. Why haven't you already bought her a phone before now? Mobile phones have been around a long time. Sell the phone to your friend and buy your mum a nice new one and give it to her as an early xmas present.

On another note, I am personally insulted by these people who seem to assume that anyone over the age of 30 cannot get to grips with technology. I am 59 and have had several smart phones and if I have a problem I go into a mobile phone shop and get them to help me.
  • forzaitalia
    Options
    What is it with people who expect to make money from close relatives. She's your mama - of course you should just give it to her - doh!
  • IsaOli
    Options
    Your Mother will have undoubtedly supported you all your life and foregone luxuries such as Smartphones so you could get nice things. It's not a lot to ask for seeing as she's never had one and clearly it's not worth a fortune so do the nice thing and gift it to her! It'll make you feel good too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure