Money Moral Dilemma: Should I charge my Mum for my old phone?

Options

Comments

• vixen1500
    Options
    Give it her, she's your mum - so why are you even asking the question?

Seems like you are putting money before anything else
    Typically confused and asking for advice
  • Augustus_the_Strong
    Options
    Just give her the phone, if you think she will be able to use it - don't be such a miser.
  • Natasha_H
    Options
    Did a double take at this so called 'dilemma'. I'd be embarrassed to contemplate let alone ask my mum to pay. Perhaps you should have got her a new phone for birthday/Christmas/mother's day before it even got to this. Anyhow, give her the phone no charge or sell it and get her a lovely new phone, again no charge. Jeez.
  • sclare
    sclare Posts: 66 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can we have less of the patronising "but can she use it?" posts, please? Us mothers of young adults (and even the not so young) are not THAT old, you know. OP's mum might be 40 or less. And this 58 year old (and many a decade or two older than me) are perfectly tech savvy, thanks.
  • jl_max_l41_p24
    Options
    Sell the old phone to your friend for £50 and get your Mum a new phone.

Especially if you old phone is most likely at least 12 months old with the onset of problems such as keeping the battery charged, no instructions and no support. Ask yourself why you are getting rid of it and would you be happy keeping it for another 12 months.

Get your Mum a brand new handset with an instruction booklet if at all possible. I have recently had a touchscreen phone for the first time and needed all the support I could find from family, friends and the phone manufacturer website and "chat" support.

If you are giving someone a piece of technical equipment they have never had, remember you will most likely be explaining things on a regular basis so having things like instructions available as well is going to help everyone.
  • meknowalot-51
    Options
    This is your mum,give her the phone with plenty of help as to how to use etc.Help your mum whenever you can at no charge.This is advice from someone who'se 54 and can only say from the question you ask you must be about 18.Certain decisions you make in life should not be about financial gain.....this is one.
  • Dilly
    Dilly Posts: 122 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What a brat!!!
    This is a no brainer You only get one Mum so make the most of her
  • hyacynth_2
    Options
    Do you really need to ask?
  • matt2baker
    Options
    How shallow to even consider selling it to her!!!!!!!!!!!! At any price.
  • gloriouslyhappy
    Options
    Seems a bit mean to think of selling the old phone to your mother - if you've been able to upgrade then presumably you're financially OK and the £50 you could get from your friend won't mean as much as the pleasure your mum will get from her first smartphone.

It's up to you as you know your family circumstances, but if there's nothing more to this MMD than is stated in the original post, then it's another one of these weird no-dilemma dilemmas!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure