Money Moral Dilemma: Should I charge my Mum for my old phone?

Options

Comments

• Guenevire
    Options
    As a mum and grandmother, I agree with the other posts but in particular, the ones who suggest you sell your phone and buy your lovely mum a brand new one which is straightforward to use and yes, expect to help her with it as well. After all, I'm sure she's helped you with stuff all your life!
  • jgriggle
    Options
    It's your MUM! The person who raised you, fed you, clothed you.
  • dickavis
    Options
    It's quite clear from some of the comments here that not all of us had great relationships with out mums, and that's a great pity. This is not the right place to lecture anyone on that subject. However, my relationship with my Dad was never brilliant, but as I got further from my teens I realised more and more that he was doing the best he could, bearing in mind his own upbringing, so I began to put some effort into making things work. If you're in a similar situation, handing over the phone may be a step toward building bridges. On the other hand, some people are just after something for nothing. If you know your Mum would be grateful, pass it over. If not, flog it.
  • whistler58
    Options
    Just done the same for the Mother in Law along with a £10 pay as you go on it.
  • clarryd
    clarryd Posts: 636 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This should be a no brainer.

GIVE IT TO YOUR MOTHER.

If it was her she would not have thought about it she would have just gave it to you there and then.
  • Teacher2
    Options
    My son, when he was 14, bought me a Nokia for a tenner for Christmas and then a couple of years back my daughter gave me her old Blackberry when she got an i-Phone. In return, as well as all I have given them so far, I shall leave them a house and my endless gratitude.

i would say, give your mum the phone.
  • Lucy_Lastik
    Options
    Listen to a recording of "No Charge". (Versions have been recorded by Johnny Cash, Tammy Wynette and JJ Berrie.)
  • kryssykk
    Options
    You need to ask!!!!
    What sort of daughter are you?:(
  • MR777
    MR777 Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    There are some questions that just shouldn't need to be asked, only hope your Mum doesn't get to read this thread.

I was fortunate enough to get an iPhone 6 last week, so I gave my 8 month old iPhone 4S to my Mum and set up a £7 per month SIM card contract in my name to put in it.

I guess the answer will depend on how well off you are, and how you feel about your Mum. I really love my Mum :-)
  • wiogs
    wiogs Posts: 2,744 Forumite
    Options
    MR777 wrote: »
    There are some questions that just shouldn't need to be asked, only hope your Mum doesn't get to read this thread.

I was fortunate enough to get an iPhone 6 last week, so I gave my 8 month old iPhone 4S to my Mum and set up a £7 per month SIM card contract in my name to put in it.

I guess the answer will depend on how well off you are, and how you feel about your Mum. I really love my Mum :-)

And that is they key point.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport