Money Moral Dilemma: Should I charge my Mum for my old phone?

Options

Comments

• Brian_Steele
    Options
    Shouldn't be charging her, but on the other hand, you can get a smartphone for way less than £50 and she may not want anything too powerful if she has no great need of it. How about selling yours for £50+, then buying your mum a brand new one for less.

Then she has her smartphone, more up to date than yours, and you have made a few quid too.
  • lucyclare
    Options
    I'm sure you've only got one mother.
    You've got more than one mate
    You'll get more phones!

Your mum willingly made sacrifices that were her choice when raising you. Your sacrifice is £50. Is your mum really not worth it? If you are well paid then consider getting your mum a nice little Virgin sim only deal which is £15 a month on a rolling 30 contract.

Peace of mind that your mum is safe. Mums are priceless. Phones are for 24 months.
    :T wealth is a state of mind :T
  • dickavis
    dickavis Posts: 28 Forumite
    edited 24 September 2014 at 11:51AM
    Options
    It depends on how capable your Mum is with what may be for her new and strange technology. Believe it or not there are people out there for whom a smartphone could be more trouble than it's worth. If you're confident that she would be OK with it, give it to her with your love. The debt you owe to your parents can never be repaid, but a gesture like this would show that you appreciate her. Plus, if she does have problems with it, as it's one you're familiar with, explaining it to her and sorting out problems with it would be much easier than if she bought one that you are unfamiliar with.
  • I hate to say this. But i blame your mother for bringing you up to be the kind of person who would even consider charging her for your old phone. It makes me sad that some children are so ungrateful for what their parents have done for them over the years. Taking them to school, to the swimming baths, to gymnastics, to brownies, guides etc etc etc. It has probably cost her ten times that ammount in petrol to ferry you around.

We have two beautiful caring daughters, and it has never entered their heads to do anything or think of anything as selfish. We are so proud of them for that and many other reasons.
  • jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    pjsmiffy wrote: »
    Err given that you have been offered £50 for the phone and you love your mum....
    No
    Sell the phone at the best price you can and buy your mum the best new phone with the money (add some money). The Moto G is a great starter smart phone for parents (my parents both over 65 have one each)

And wrap it up as a Christmas/birthday/other gift.

This is the best idea, if you can sell it and get her something better, more suited to her needs putting some Christmas present cash towards it too.
  • mr-mixalot
    Options
    Charging her should not even come into the decision, its your Mum

Give it to her, over your lifetime I'm 110% sure she'll do more for you
  • h15t0r1an
    Options
    Can't believe you're even asking.:mad:

She's your Mum, for ***'s sake.

Get her a new one that's at least as good as yours if you can afford to. If you can't hand over your old one and be prepared to replace it for her if it breaks.
  • Cazarooni
    Options
    OMG - you cannot be serious - just give it to your mum and maybe give a thought to everything she has done for you over the years!!!:)
  • roubiliac
    Options
    hmm... should I leave anything in my will to my money grabbing son who is so mean he won't give his mum his old phone?

let me think...
  • Acremead
    Options
    Give her the phone. If you are so strapped for cash that £50 would mean the difference between eating and not eating then perhaps give it her as her birthday or Christmas present?

As others have said- do check she'll be able to use it. I've helped my mum buy all kinds of gadgets; some she can use and some she's never 'got her head around', so it's worth checking. If it is a problem, sell the phone and put the £50 towards something more mum-friendly.

[Not wishing to stereotype older people as always technophobes; I'm 70 myself]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure