Is there any way to collect train tickets.......

Options

Comments

• Axial
    Axial Posts: 76 Forumite
    Options
    For the TOC I work for:
    TVMs require a card, but it can be any card.
    Ticket offices issue by reference and the card is no longer needed as a change of supplier a few months ago means that we can no longer recall by card number
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Axial wrote: »
    For the TOC I work for:
    TVMs require a card, but it can be any card.
    Ticket offices issue by reference and the card is no longer needed as a change of supplier a few months ago means that we can no longer recall by card number
    No help unless you tell us who this TOC is.
  • Axial
    Axial Posts: 76 Forumite
    Options
    Greater Anglia.

I believe the same system is used nationally so should apply everywhere
  • stclair
    stclair Posts: 6,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 21 September 2014 at 10:47AM
    Options
    Just call up and say you no longer have the card you paid with.

Then they can do something their end so you can collect the tickets from the machine.

I did this personally a few weeks ago with no problems at all.
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
  • jbuchanangb
    Options
    If the station where the tickets are to be collected has a ticket office, it should be possible to quote the booking reference to the clerk, who can retrieve the booking and print the tickets without reference to any credit or debit card.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    Whether the card used for payment is required is determined by the selling TOC or agent. If the 'flag' on the booking is set to require payment card then the clerk should not (and may not know how to) over-ride this; however bookings on corporate accounts etc are set to 'card not required' and can be collected using reference number alone.

An alternative is to ask your local station office to process a SILK ticket (which will be a full fare single or return ticket and will have a £10 admin fee added) to be collected at a distant station.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,363 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Always buy my sons tickets on redspottedhanky using my card and he uses his card to pick them up from the machines
  • SiskaFiasco
    Options
    I had a problem recently where I bought a train ticket online in advance using a credit card for £25. I received an email with a code but stupidly forgot to record it. When I arrived at the train station, my credit card was recognised, but as I didn't have the code, I ended up having to buy a new ticket for £63.
    Isn't the security over the top? Wouldn't it be sensible if EITHER you had the security code (if you haven't got the credit card with you) OR once you have the credit card you just confirm the from and to destinations?
    With Lufthansa and Swiss Air, I have to give them my passport number. When I collect the ticket I just put my passport on the machine OR I give my full name. Then I am asked to confirm the destination.
    In the train scenario, if somebody else stole my credit card, how likely is it that they would know I had booked an online train ticket on a particular day to a particular destination? Isn't it totally and sickeningly stupid?
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,363 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    I had a problem recently where I bought a train ticket online in advance using a credit card for £25. I received an email with a code but stupidly forgot to record it. When I arrived at the train station, my credit card was recognised, but as I didn't have the code, I ended up having to buy a new ticket for £63.
    Isn't the security over the top? Wouldn't it be sensible if EITHER you had the security code (if you haven't got the credit card with you) OR once you have the credit card you just confirm the from and to destinations?
    With Lufthansa and Swiss Air, I have to give them my passport number. When I collect the ticket I just put my passport on the machine OR I give my full name. Then I am asked to confirm the destination.
    In the train scenario, if somebody else stole my credit card, how likely is it that they would know I had booked an online train ticket on a particular day to a particular destination? Isn't it totally and sickeningly stupid?

think you are just annoyed that you lost your code.....it isnt always someone elses fault
  • The_Groat_Counter
    Options
    Isn't it totally and sickeningly stupid?

No.

Next question...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family