Is there any way to collect train tickets.......

Options
.......at the station without having the card you used to pay?

I want to buy a ticket for my son to travel home with my card but he won't have the card with him to collect the tickets at the station.

I won't be know whether he'll need a ticket for Sunday or Monday until Friday afternoon so there won't be time to have it posted to him.

Has anyone found a way around this?
Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear

Comments

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,825 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Transfer some money to his bank account and let him buy the ticket himself....
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • cookie365
    cookie365 Posts: 1,809 Forumite
    Options
    I've collected tickets using a library card in the past. don't know if it still works.

Certainly when my company buys train tickets for me through a 3rd party agent I can collect from the machine with my credit card even though that wasn't used to pay for them. It's possible it's comparing the surname only, so if he has a debit card in the same surname that might be enough.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    edited 17 September 2014 at 9:10PM
    Options
    cookie365 wrote: »
    I've collected tickets using a library card in the past. don't know if it still works.

Certainly when my company buys train tickets for me through a 3rd party agent I can collect from the machine with my credit card even though that wasn't used to pay for them. It's possible it's comparing the surname only, so if he has a debit card in the same surname that might be enough.

Is that the surname of the booking or the surname of the card you used to pay? He has a Santander ATM card with him.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • peachyprice
    Options
    McKneff wrote: »
    Transfer some money to his bank account and let him buy the ticket himself....

He doesn't have a debit card with him, only an ATM and can't get to the station until the day of travel.
  • peachyprice
    Options
    I guess it may have to be a coach then. Why do train companies make it so difficult to buy tickets for someone else?
  • skaterboy
    Options
    Hi, I am able to buy vouchers for Redspotted Hanky, at a discount from my companies RewardGateway, or through Tesco Club cards.

This enables you to buy tickets, and when you go to collect you just use any debit or credit card, to start the collection process. It does not charge your card.

I do this for exactly the same reason as you. It works very well

Cheers
  • Mids_Costcutter
    Options
    He doesn't have a debit card with him, only an ATM and can't get to the station until the day of travel.

So withdraw the transferred money from a cash machine and pay for the train ticket in cash?
  • The_Groat_Counter
    The_Groat_Counter Posts: 475 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 17 September 2014 at 10:35PM
    Options
    .......at the station without having the card you used to pay?

I want to buy a ticket for my son to travel home with my card but he won't have the card with him to collect the tickets at the station.

I won't be know whether he'll need a ticket for Sunday or Monday until Friday afternoon so there won't be time to have it posted to him.

Has anyone found a way around this?

You can buy an East Coast Gift eVoucher, then use it yourself (gift it to yourself!) in order to buy the ticket.
    www.eastcoast.co.uk/special-offers/travel-savings/gift-vouchers/

I think your son will need to have a debit/credit card to insert in the ticket machine in order to collect the tickets, but that can be any card as you'll have already paid for the tickets - he wouldn't be charged. He will need to enter the booking reference though in order to collect the tickets.

You can buy a Gift eVoucher for a custom amount, so buy it for the exact same amount that the ticket costs.

---Edit---
    I've just read that he doesn't have a debit card, I'm not sure if the above would work with just the ATM-only card (aka cash card) that he has.
  • peachyprice
    Options
    So withdraw the transferred money from a cash machine and pay for the train ticket in cash?

The walk up fare on the day is considerably more than an advance fare!!!
  • peachyprice
    Options
    I think your son will need to have a debit/credit card to insert in the ticket machine in order to collect the tickets, but that can be any card as you'll have already paid for the tickets - he wouldn't be charged. He will need to enter the booking reference though in order to collect the tickets.

So the name on the card just has to match the name on the booking, is that correct? Not the name on the card that made the booking.

So if his friend has a debit card with him I can book a ticket in the friends name, using my debit card, the friend can use his debit card to collect the ticket to give to my son, the tickets don't have a name on anyway.

I don't know if you can tell, but I don't use trains very much :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure