Financial Ombudsman have lost my paperwork!

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaim Bank & Credit Card Charges
4 replies 1.1K views
sharon19713sharon19713 Forumite
4 Posts
I recently received an email from the Financial Ombudsman stating that during the changeover to their new their new "system", all my PPI claim information had been lost. Although extremely apologetic to me, the FOS did not offer any solutions and simply told me to re-submit all my PPI claims, which I originally submitted approximately 3 years ago. All claims were "being processed" by FOS and I have moved home and am unable to locate my original paperwork.

Is there anything at all I can do about this please

Replies

• dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    106.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    If you didnt add any new information to the FOS when you referred the complaint to them then there is nothing extra to supply. Tell them to refer to your complaint letter to the firm you are complaining about.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • I recently received an email from the Financial Ombudsman stating that during the changeover to their new their new "system", all my PPI claim information had been lost. Although extremely apologetic to me, the FOS did not offer any solutions and simply told me to re-submit all my PPI claims, which I originally submitted approximately 3 years ago. All claims were "being processed" by FOS and I have moved home and am unable to locate my original paperwork.

Is there anything at all I can do about this please

Sounds like a typical spam/phishing email attempt.

Do not respond to the email.

Call the individual who was processing your claim on the individual direct number that has previously been advised to you.

If all else fails contact the FOS on the number given on the FOS website.

I'm sure they will gladly tell you the position, and in the unlikely event there is any truth in this, how best to proceed.

Do not call any number given in the email. Only call the FOS on a number you are certain is correct.
  • Please reproduce the email. I believe even though the FOS have computers, they still have a paper case filing system.
    If you have an open case at the FOS and the email is genuine, this link will help:
    http://www.fos.org.uk/publications/factsheets/complaints-about-our-service.pdf
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    The Ombudsman is unlikely to have "lost" anything. As others have said, contact FOS via their website or official telephone numbers and do not respond to any such E-Mails now or in the future.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Ultrafast broadband upgrades

Being made available to more English counties

MSE News

30+ ways to stop scams

Incl tips to spot 'em & what to do if you're scammed

MSE Guides

£37 of No7 beauty products for £12

Available online and in stores

MSE Deals