We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
What are you Old Style goals? (longer term)
Comments
-
Makes you feel good doesn't it? When you can put a plateful of food down on the table and think to yourself "I made that!"
Better still when all the plates come back wiped clean
Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
0 -
have you always lived the oldstyle life then squeaky or ust started since joining here?0
-
Any longer term goals I would make are all dependant on getting my health back to a state of being able to realise any of them, so that's my first priority, and as such I don't tend to look very far into the future ... a day at a time

But ... if dreams were to come true then I would have a small property, preferably on West Coast Ireland, with enough land to raise my own animals and grow my own produce, and be as self-sufficient as possible. I'm not a materialistic person so I could live a basic, frugal lifestyle quite happily as long as I had my health
Some shorter term goals are to re-learn how to use my sewing machine that has sat idle since I bought it 6 years ago
... learn how to make my own jams/chutneys/marmalades and teach my children the ways of the Old Style 
My youngest son laps it all up now and often thanks me for getting back to basics with cooking/baking etc despite his initial groans at eating healthy foods LOL! ... but I fear my eldest two are a lost cause, eating fast junk food, easy-come easy-go with money/possessions etc, but hopefully they'll wake up to reality once they have families of their own to look after!
"An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
~
It is that what you do, good or bad,
will come back to you three times as strong!
0 -
I know some of you are keeping chickens so I have a couple of questions please.
Are they likely to annoy the neighbours
e.g
flying over the fence
do their droppings smell offensive
do they make a mess of the garden
would two hens be enough to supply eggs for one person
are they much trouble to keep
We always had then when I was little but can't remember the ins and outs of caring for themWomen and cats will do as they please and men and dogs should get used to it.;)
Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself.
Ralph Waldo Emerson0 -
needmoney wrote:Are they likely to annoy the neighbours
e.g
flying over the fence
Possibly, a couple of mine managed to breach a 5ft fence and land in the neighbours garden a few times, much to her dismay as she was scared of them
do their droppings smell offensive
If you don't clean them out regularly then yes, they do smell
do they make a mess of the garden
Most definitely :rotfl:would two hens be enough to supply eggs for one person
They should supply an egg a day each if in good health and receive a good diet, but this tends to drop off slightly in winter and as they approach old age. It depends how many eggs you normally use, but two hens will give you on average a couple of dozen eggs a week
"An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
~
It is that what you do, good or bad,
will come back to you three times as strong!
0 -
Not so much "old style" as "never moved on" style.
I have "never" worked anywhere where I couldn't walk to work. It wasn't planned this way, it just happened.
True, I have suffered some truly awful, unrewarding jobs, in my time, but by walking to walk I have managed to keep my health, and more importantly, financial independence.
By working locally, I have lost out on the opportunities to move up the career path, but I havn't needed to ever buy a car, so must have saved thousands of pounds! I have also benefitted from not wasting time commuting.
I went to college when I left school and got distinctions in various subjects, and have also successfully studied since then part time, so it's not as if I didn't have the qualifications to move on. It just seemed that everything I looked at would have been a "detriment" - i.e. buying a car or moving away would not have been compensated by the increased wages!
I can't honestly say that I feel to have missed-out. I have been (and still am) happy with my lot. I wonder just what people these days get out of demanding jobs with lots of stress, long hours and unimagineable commuting - I wonder if they really are "better off". With congestion, increasing oil prices, etc., I am sure that there will be a trend back towards "working on your doorstep" before too long.0 -
needmoney wrote:I know some of you are keeping chickens so I have a couple of questions please.
Are they likely to annoy the neighbours
e.g
flying over the fence
do their droppings smell offensive
do they make a mess of the garden
would two hens be enough to supply eggs for one person
are they much trouble to keep
We always had then when I was little but can't remember the ins and outs of caring for them
You could clip there wings that would stop them from flying.
Do you want a garden left as you will not have one once they are let free.
You can feed them your left over veggie scraps.
Before you got any you might want to check that you don't have any convenats(sp?) on you house. Some say that you can't keep non-domestic animals on the property. e.g hens, pigs, sheep etc.
Yours
CalleyHope for everything and expect nothing!!!
Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz
If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin0 -
Thanks for replies to you all, then they're not for me as I do want a garden left, shame about that, I don't suppose a run would work because then they wouldn't be free-range,Women and cats will do as they please and men and dogs should get used to it.;)
Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself.
Ralph Waldo Emerson0 -
You keep them in a run most of the time, my hens are happy to be in there most of the time and get let out for a rummage for slugs/woodlice etc. 5 foot by 4 foot at a wild guess for two hens is pretty good in terms of space, and I KNOW they are looked after properly. If you have 100% 'free range' hens than you also have to consider you are gifting them the freedom to be run over or attacked by foxes or have pot shots taken at them by the local village (or city) idiot. Clipping their wings is easy, i just typed in 'how do you clip a hen's wings' into ask jeeves.Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
I have done reading too!
To avoid all evil, to do good,
to purify the mind- that is the
teaching of the Buddhas.0 -
Thanks for that SS something to think about the other thing I've just remembered is we have a few cats living next door who are in my garden daily.Women and cats will do as they please and men and dogs should get used to it.;)
Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself.
Ralph Waldo Emerson0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards