Ikea kitchen hell - review

Options
newbie30_2
newbie30_2 Posts: 2 Newbie
I can not even start to discribe the hellish experience I have had with my ikea kitchen. So i thought I would share with the internet to give everyone a fair warning what they are letting themselves in for.

I ordered an IKEA kitchen from your Croydon store on 12 June 2014. During the ordering stage I was informed that 4 of the doors for the kitchen where out of stock and I would have to reorder them another time but I could put them on my finance packet. I was told that these doors would be back in stock in a matter of days. I was then given a number to call to confirm the delivery dates.

After calling the delivery line, as instructed in store, the customer service agent told me on the phone that the kitchen would be delivered on 24 June. I then arranged my kitchen fitters to start on 25 June. About a week later I called IKEA again just to confirm the delivery dates and to see if the doors where back in stock. It was then told to me that the first customer agent had got the dates incorrect and that the kitchen was not due for delivery till 1 July. This meant that I now had kitchen fitters in the house with nothing to do for 3 days and as they were travelling from Somerset, there was nothing I could do to rearrange that.

I then spoke to one of IKEA customer service agents about the doors, she informed me that they were back in stock and she would put in on my order and I would have to go to store to show proof of payment as they were part of my finance agreement. I confirmed with her on 3 separate occasions that this would not affect my delivery date or put the first order on hold. She assured me that it would not. I then drove the 1.25 hours to store to be informed that they could not process the payment for this and that this had then push by kitchen back to the delivery date of the 5 July. We were not able to get the doors on that order as the store could not process this payment and the doors where not available in store.

I then called the customer services to see if anything could be done to fix this mistake and get my kitchen delivery date back to the 1 July, what happened then is that the delivery had to be split into two deliveries in order to get the kitchen to me. This meant that I had to take 2 days holiday in order to receive the kitchen rather than 1.

Then 2 days prior to the first deliver I was informed that 2 off the parts for the kitchen would have to be delivered to me on 5 August as they were not in stock.

Once both those first deliveries had arrived it was then clear that the cupboard for the hob was not included in this delivery. This means that the fitters could only work for a couple of days before they then had to down tools again, seeing as this was a critical element to the kitchen. This hob unit arrived on 7 July where the fitters could carry on work, which again was another day’s holiday I had to take in order to receive the kitchen.

Once the kitchen had been installed it was then clear the dishwasher was not working. This meant that F&M services had to come out to fix the dishwasher. This was booked in for the 17/7/2014. This was another day that I had to take as holiday. IKEA then gave the service company an incomplete address which meant that they were unable to fix the dishwasher on that date, please find an email confirming this attached. The next available date was not till 31/7/14. I then had to take another day’s holiday in order to let the workmen in to service the dishwasher. Which was done and the issue fixed.

The next saga that was regarding the missing 60x80 bobyn doors, despite constant phone conversation and visits to the IKEA store it took 8 weeks for these doors to be available in distribution. I could not order these over the phone due to the finance package being used to pay for them, and as you can imagine there was no option of paying in capital as I had spent an additional money due to having to pay fitters for standby days. I then went back again to the store where I ordered them with the kitchen department and arranged another delivery, which again was another days holiday to take. The kitchen planner at store told me that this is a real problem with this kitchen and almost everyone was having the same problem with the doors.

Eventually on 5 August all my kitchen was delivered to my house. This was 53 days after I place the kitchen order and 41 days after I was told it would turn up. I have spent a lot of money on men doing nothing as there was no product, I have had to take 7 extra days holiday to receive this kitchen, I have had to drive into store 2 twice (which is a 3.5hour round trip) and I have spent hours and hours on the phone on hold waiting for one of your customer service agents to become available. Despite all the customer services agents being polite and helpful and the end product being good for the price, I would never recommend an IKEA kitchen to anyone as it has been a giant headache.

I have complained many times to IKEA and they could not give a monkeys. I have never received a reply from a email and every time I call I am told a manager has to call me back and they never do.

DO NOT BUY A IKEA KITCHEN UNLESS YOU WANT TO ADD A MASSIVE AMOUNT OF STRESS TO YOUR LIFE.

Comments

• SuzieSue
    SuzieSue Posts: 4,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    That is why, since having had a similar experience to yours several years ago, but nothing like as bad, I always get the fitters to supply the items they are fitting.

It might cost more as they usually put a mark-up, but if something isn't delivered or is faulty, it is their problem not mine. I would rather pay a bit extra for a stress free installation.
  • jc808
    jc808 Posts: 1,756 Forumite
    Options
    newbie30 wrote: »
    During the ordering stage I was informed that 4 of the doors for the kitchen where out of stock and I would have to reorder them another time.

This would have set alarm bells a-pealing.
  • problemcashback
    Options
    you seem to have had a bad time but in laws have had two ikea kitchens, one for their home they now rent and another for their new house and both are still amazing quality even in the rental. sometimes things go wrong hopefully you will get it sorted quickly and I would send a email to their CEO to get things sorted.

And just to balance things further, it took a local company 6 months to finish our kitchen 10 years ago, and it cost a fortune and didnt last.
  • newbie30_2
    Options
    SuzieSue wrote: »
    That is why, since having had a similar experience to yours several years ago, but nothing like as bad, I always get the fitters to supply the items they are fitting.

It might cost more as they usually put a mark-up, but if something isn't delivered or is faulty, it is their problem not mine. I would rather pay a bit extra for a stress free installation.

You are completely right. Next time that will definitely be how I go about it.
  • Mallotum_X
    Mallotum_X Posts: 2,588 Forumite
    Options
    We put an ikea kitchen in last year, everything arrived without any problems.

After it arrived we decided we didn't like the worktops, and they collected them free of charge and refunded the amount onto the credit agreement.
  • OMG we were going to go down the IKEA route for a kitchen. No chance now
    With love, POSR <3
  • Waterlily24
    Options
    We didn't have any problems either. I don't think I would have arranged for fitters to come until I had the complete kitchen though.
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    In the family we've had 3 kitchens from Ikea all of them have been without any complaints. The self-employed kitchen fitter who came to put them in had worked on contract for all the big Diy warehouses and said that Ikea quality was much better than any of the others, so much so that when he renewed the kitchen in his own house he went to Ikea.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • jennifernil
    Options
    We have purchased loads of units from Ikea, equivalent to 7 kitchens (but not all used for kitchens), we have had very few problems. Certainly nothing serious.
  • vansboy
    vansboy Posts: 6,483 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You have been let down, that is really unfortunate. Hope they make some sort of offer to recompense you.

Had 3 Ikea kitchens, never any problems' except a dented sink, but that was replaced straight away and they didnt even want the old one back.

Last installation was 175 seperate pcakages and, as I say, all delivered together.

Will buy the next one from them, too.

VB
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family