edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Water Bills
594 replies 362.2K views

Replies

• CardewCardew Forumite
    28.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    modoos wrote: »
    definitely if there arnt many of you in a household go for a meter, i did it and im saving already. you have a year to change back I think.

Not definitely!

We get post after post on this subject with people's personal circumstances given as absolute proof that metered water charges are cheaper or more expensive.

Because many properties were last assessed over 40 years ago their Rateable Values(RV) are incredibly low and hence unmetered charges are really low.

Take Severn Trent 2015/16 unmetered charges, there are no standing charges and a minimum charge of £93.80. Bills of £150 are not uncommon.

If metered the average consumption is 55m3 per person.

The standing charges are £43pa and @ £2.36m3 a single occupant with average consumption would pay £173 and a couple £303.
  • matelodavematelodave Forumite
    5.5K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Compare Severn Trent with Anglian Water's charges which are £224.26 + £0.1375 per £ RV for water and £259.50 + £0.1425 per R RV for sewerage so you've got over £480 before you add on the RV element.

Metered its £26 for water, £86 for sewerage and just under £3.00cu.m for water & sewerage combined, which means you've got to use at least 125cu.m just to cover the unmetered standing charges without taking RV into account as well.

So it does depend a lot on where you live and who your suppliers are as well
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • urgoturgot Forumite
    2 posts
    Are there some options to fool the water meter?
  • MojisolaMojisola Forumite
    33.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    urgot wrote: »

Are you asking for ways to commit fraud?
  • lukieboy96lukieboy96 Forumite
    666 posts
    I am glad I have gone over to water meter. I am in credit by over £100 and my DD is now only £1!! Only me who lives here.
    Just waiting to see if the other goes down as a result! Good year as electric DD only £1 as in credit by a lot too!!
  • lukieboy96lukieboy96 Forumite
    666 posts
    kev2006n wrote: »
    In this weeks news letter, 23/3/15, a woman claimed to have her water bill reduced from £65 per month to £4.50 a month. Don't think this can be possible. My standing charges are more than that. Perhaps some claims should be checked before being entered into the newsletter.

We have recently moved to a house (2+ years) with a water meter. Just 2 of us and we spend 5 months of the year abroad. The bills are incredible. So high. I would never pick a meter. We are careful with water usage and still find the bills unreasonable. (We did have a leak which took 14 months to sort out. We know turn stopcock off every time we go away.)

My advice is do not switch. However, if you don't wash, shower or clean then there might be a chance for a small saving.

It is possible because as I am in credit by over £100 my DD is now £1! My water charge for 6 months was £31.85, including standing charge. But only me in property.
  • CardewCardew Forumite
    28.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, reverse the flow
  • King_SlayerKing_Slayer Forumite
    261 posts
    Fifth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭

Ofcourse, Don't turn on the tap. :rotfl:
    £2 savings club 2020 #51 £0

• silvercarsilvercar Forumite, Board Guide
    41.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I have seen people having their driveways jet washed with long hose pipes stretching from neighbours 2-3 houses down, seems they use someone else's non metered supply.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debate House Prices & the Economy, House Buying, Renting & Selling, Mortgages and Endowments, In My Home incl DIY, Overseas Holidays & Student boards.
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.
  • happyandcontentedhappyandcontented Forumite
    2.7K posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just looking to reduce our outgoings and our water bill is over £700pa. From September we will only be a two adult family so I am wondering if we should think about changing over?

Is there a way to calaculate a saving?