Added Value Account complaint rejected - what now?

edited 5 September 2014 at 7:39PM in Reclaim Bank & Credit Card Charges
8 replies 1.9K views
Dan6666Dan6666 Forumite
2 Posts
edited 5 September 2014 at 7:39PM in Reclaim Bank & Credit Card Charges
Will re word once letter received to be clearer

Replies

• edited 6 September 2014 at 4:24PM
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    edited 6 September 2014 at 4:24PM
    Dan6666 wrote:
    I recently sent a letter of complaint regarding the added value account I have with Lloyds which I opened in 2002

The basis of my complaint was I wasn't fully aware what I had signed up to, the bank never checked that it was suitable for me, I wasn't aware of the full cost of the account, and that I signed up following a pushy sales technique where it was told to me this account was good for my (internal credit score with Lloyds TsB if I wanted other services.

Sadly today I have heard back it's been rejected.

The reasons given are the following, in 2003 and subsequent years I went on holiday and therefore the travel insurance bundled could of been used, as I explained I wasn't aware travel insurance was on account until 2009 when I phoned to enquire about it (recordings of calls were not listened too) and because I signed up to a further upgraded account in 2007 online, having looked at my expenditure and based on the fact I had a mobile phone and had the odd holiday, I had made an informed choice and the package was suitable for me.

Was it right for me? Possibly ? Did the bank check at the time, defo not, I'm tad concerned the bank is now rejecting My complaint saying it was suitable for me based on looking back in history yet never bothered to make sure it was whilst collecting the money each month

Furthermore in phone calls with the bank I have tried to cancel it, only to be told to visit a branch ( I live in Northern Ireland with no branches, so unless I travel back to GB it's a long trip to take for a bank visit) of course I can't demonstrate proof of this and they have said they have found no evidence of this, however in my original complaint letter I asked for the added value part of my account to be closed/removed and have been told the only way I can do that is phone them up separately in a call that will take about an hour

I informed in the original complaint letter I intended to pursue any rejection with the ombudsman, but I am keen to hear any thoughts some wiser then me may have, do I continue on or do I suck it up and scratch this one off to experience ?
    Whether you refer this to the Ombudsman is up to you, but your complaint is hardly compelling.
    How can you say you weren't aware of the costs involved? This would have been detailed on your monthly statement.

You complain that the Bank never checked the suitability of the account, but then admit that the account was suitable and that you subsequently used many of it's "features and benefits".

You complain about the "pushy sales technique", but this is a hearsay accusation for which you can provide no evidence. The fact that you subsequently subscribed to another "added value" account a few years later weakens this aspect of your complaint still further.

The Bank will not have recordings of telephone calls in which you "enquired" about travel insurance that you apparently already had. Regardless, this would not be irrefutable evidence that you weren't aware of it several years earlier, more likely that you had forgotten.

Basically, what I'm saying is that you presented a weak complaint to the Bank that reads like a template letter, without any evidence to back it up your complaint was an easy rejection for the Bank. Sorry if that's too blunt.

Finally, why would a cancellation of this account take an hour over the 'phone? You could write them a letter or send a secure message via your online account and achieve the same result. You really have little extra to complain about there.
  • Dan6666 wrote: »
    Hi

I recently sent a letter of complaint regarding the added value account I have with Lloyds which I opened in 2002

The basis of my complaint was I wasn't fully aware what I had signed up to, the bank never checked that it was suitable for me, I wasn't aware of the full cost of the account, and that I signed up following a pushy sales technique where it was told to me this account was good for my (internal credit score with Lloyds TsB if I wanted other services.

Sadly today I have heard back it's been rejected.

The reasons given are the following, in 2003 and subsequent years I went on holiday and therefore the travel insurance bundled could of been used, as I explained I wasn't aware travel insurance was on account until 2009 when I phoned to enquire about it (recordings of calls were not listened too) and because I signed up to a further upgraded account in 2007 online, having looked at my expenditure and based on the fact I had a mobile phone and had the odd holiday, I had made an informed choice and the package was suitable for me.

Was it right for me? Possibly ? Did the bank check at the time, defo not, I'm tad concerned the bank is now rejecting My complaint saying it was suitable for me based on looking back in history yet never bothered to make sure it was whilst collecting the money each month

Furthermore in phone calls with the bank I have tried to cancel it, only to be told to visit a branch ( I live in Northern Ireland with no branches, so unless I travel back to GB it's a long trip to take for a bank visit) of course I can't demonstrate proof of this and they have said they have found no evidence of this, however in my original complaint letter I asked for the added value part of my account to be closed/removed and have been told the only way I can do that is phone them up separately in a call that will take about an hour

I informed in the original complaint letter I intended to pursue any rejection with the ombudsman, but I am keen to hear any thoughts some wiser then me may have, do I continue on or do I suck it up and scratch this one off to experience ?

If you have good reason to disagree with the bank's rejection, then it's probaby worth contacting the bank with those reasons.

e.g. did you buy additional travel insurance for each holiday you made between 2003 and 2009? If so, can you prove it?

The fact you admit you "signed up to a further upgraded account in 2007" would suggest to me your claim is ill-founded, if for no other reason than it would now probably be timed out.
  • ...Note that Ombudsman referrals take in excess of eighteen months, so don't expect any quick resolution if you do decide to refer....

Cobblers.

I recently (last month) had the FOS review a claim of mine and it took them about 3 months from submission of claim to me accepting their proposed resolution.
    Most of that time admittedly seemed to be in a queue before they even looked at the claim (but I did get an acknowledgement within about 1-2 weeks of the claim saying it might be about 3 months before I hear from them again). Once they got on the case, it took about 1-2 weeks to get to a resolution. I accepted the adjudicators proposal after a bit of negotiation as it was better than I originally hoped for anyway, so it never went to the real ombudsman, but indications were that if I wanted it to go for a final review that could take possibly another 2-3 months.

I think only very complicated cases, and where it does go the final review can, on occasions, take up to 18 months depending of the circumstances. But that would definitely be the exception, rather than the rule.
  • edited 6 September 2014 at 4:28PM
    0 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    edited 6 September 2014 at 4:28PM
    Cobblers
    You're right :)

I was referring to PPI referrals, which this isn't.
  • AtidiAtidi Forumite
    943 Posts
    Even the FOS website advises that the queue is in excess of a year.

Your experience would therefore appear to be the exception rather than the rule. Perhaps your Bank accepted the opportunity to settle without incurring the FOS fee?
    The "complexity" of the cases has nothing to do with how long the queue for an adjudicator is.

Where? :huh:

complaining to the ombudsman

how long does it take?
    how long will the ombudsman service take to consider and resolve my complaint?
    We look at each case carefully - and the time it takes varies significantly. It can depend on:
    • how complex the case is and
    • how long it takes us to get the information we need, to get to the bottom of your complaint.
    This means we can sort out some complaints within just a few months. But some cases can take longer. For example, because of the large number of people asking for our help, complaints about mis-sold payment protection insurance (PPI) are likely to take up to two years to sort out.

Complaints can take longer if you or the business raise particularly complex issues - or you want a final decision from an ombudsman. ...
    http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/faq/answers/complaints_a6.html

And from their Annual Review 2013/2014
    http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/ar14/index.html

For cases other than PPI, we resolved 44% of complaints within three months.

;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Atidi wrote: »
    "complaints about mis-sold payment protection insurance (PPI) are likely to take up to two years to sort out."
    And from their Annual Review 2013/2014
    For cases other than PPI….

I rest my case.

Waiting time for PPI is typically and currently eighteen months unless the financial institution decide to avoid the FOS fee by agreeing to pay redress without a FOS adjudicator actually looking at the complaint.

If complainants take their referral to the actual Ombudsman and appeal stages, then it takes considerably longer.
  • AtidiAtidi Forumite
    943 Posts
    I rest my case.

Waiting time for PPI is typically and currently eighteen months unless the financial institution decide to avoid the FOS fee by agreeing to pay redress without a FOS adjudicator actually looking at the complaint.

If complainants take their referral to the actual Ombudsman and appeal stages, then it takes considerably longer.

In case you hadn't noticed, this sub-board is for matters related to reclaiming bank and credit card charges.

The main board for matters relating to reclaiming PPI and other insurance can be found here.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=169

As I understand it, and based on the thread title, this thread is about reclaiming added value bank charges. Nothing to do with PPI at all. :huh:

Time to breathe new life into that case you have rested ;)
  • edited 6 September 2014 at 1:19PM
    0 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    edited 6 September 2014 at 1:19PM
    Atidi wrote: »
    As I understand it, and based on the thread title, this thread is about reclaiming added value bank charges. Nothing to do with PPI at all. :
    Okay, a valid point. Serves me right for haunting both forums.

I stand corrected (and I've edited my earlier posts accordingly).:o
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

PCR tests to end for fully vaccinated

Travellers returning to England in Oct

MSE News

Free Homebuilding & Renovating Show tix

London, Harrogate & Shepton Mallet

MSE Deals