Lloyds Credit Card PPI - Claim Rejected, what next?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaim Bank & Credit Card Charges
26 replies 9.5K views
Border_Collie_2Border_Collie_2 Forumite
19 Posts
I phoned Lloyds PPI claim line regarding PPI on various credit cards I had over a 12 year (I think) spell. I told them that I was unaware that PPI existed at the time of receiving the cards. A few days later I received a letter stating that Lloyds Bank had already been investigating those accounts and that I would be informed of their decsion within 8 weeks. Today (12 weeks later) I phoned Lloyds to find out what was happening and was informed that I had been sent a letter (which I never received) to inform me that as I didn't have any PPI on those cards, my claim had been rejected. I have asked for that letter to be re-sent to me, along with all terms and conditions of each card account and their reasons for rejecting my claim.
I have in my posession, a document from 2012 - "Annual Review of Payment Protection Insurance on Your Credit Card" which, among other things shows "Monthly cost of Payment Protection Insurance for every £100 of monthly benefit = £15.80".
Am I doing this right or am I way off track with my understanding of how Credit Card PPI works? What next?
Thanks for any help anyone can give.

Replies

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    "Monthly cost of Payment Protection Insurance for every £100 of monthly benefit = £15.80".
    That monthly cost would only have been paid by you when your account had a balance, however the Bank informing you of the cost of PPI is not the same as actually charging you.

If your statements do not show any actual payments of PPI (they would be itemised on a separate line) then the Bank are correct and you didn't have it.
  • Thanks. I no longer have any statements for those accounts, although I was maxed on one card at nearly £10,000. I guess I'll never know now.
  • Ask them for statements of your account even if you have to pay £10 for a SAR. Lloyds are colossally inept with their record keeping and the PPI case handlers are targeted on case volume and not quality.They only have 40 minutes in total to look at a complete case from start to finish, including drafting the final response letter.
  • edited 3 September 2014 at 9:20AM
    AquamaniaAquamania Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 3 September 2014 at 9:20AM
    I phoned Lloyds PPI claim line regarding PPI on various credit cards I had over a 12 year (I think) spell. I told them that I was unaware that PPI existed at the time of receiving the cards. A few days later I received a letter stating that Lloyds Bank had already been investigating those accounts and that I would be informed of their decsion within 8 weeks. Today (12 weeks later) I phoned Lloyds to find out what was happening and was informed that I had been sent a letter (which I never received) to inform me that as I didn't have any PPI on those cards, my claim had been rejected. I have asked for that letter to be re-sent to me, along with all terms and conditions of each card account and their reasons for rejecting my claim.
    I have in my posession, a document from 2012 - "Annual Review of Payment Protection Insurance on Your Credit Card" which, among other things shows "Monthly cost of Payment Protection Insurance for every £100 of monthly benefit = £15.80".
    Am I doing this right or am I way off track with my understanding of how Credit Card PPI works? What next?
    Thanks for any help anyone can give.

You'd have been better off asking this on the main Reclaim PPI and other insurance board as this sub-board is specifically for those wishing to Reclaim Bank and Credit Card Charges as the name suggests ;)
    Perhaps you should ask the Board Guide here to move this thread to the more appropriate main board where you will hopefully obtain an improved response?

Anyway, if I were you and had evidence to the contrary of the response received, I suggest you respond with a copy of such evidence. :)

If you have no evidence of having paid PPI (and are unable to obtain any) then you will have to accept their version of events in that you never paid for any.
    Check out the MSE article for more details.
    0 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Aquamania wrote: »
    Perhaps you should ask the Board Guide here to move this thread to the more appropriate main board where you will hopefully obtain an improved response?
    Since I frequent both boards, I can't see any likely "improvement" in the likely responses if the thread were to be moved.
    If the Bank are stating there was no PPI and the OP isn't even certain himself then, without evidence to the contrary, there is nowhere to progress the complaint.
    Ask them for statements of your account even if you have to pay £10 for a SAR.
    A Subject Access Request (SAR) letter will not provide actual statements. However, paying the £10 for such a search should certainly be able to set the OP's mind at rest that the Bank are not mistaken in their assertion that there was no PPI.
  • edited 3 September 2014 at 11:35AM
    AquamaniaAquamania Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 3 September 2014 at 11:35AM
    Since I frequent both boards, I can't see any likely "improvement" in the likely responses if the thread were to be moved....

Although you may find this hard to believe, this site is not just set up for you to post your responses alone.

This is an open forum - anyone can post :)

If the OP wishes to receive an improved response then posting on (or moving this thread to) the appropriate board would be a good idea, in my humble opinion, as people tend to read boards (and so may respond) that are on subjects that interest them.
    0 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Aquamania wrote: »
    Although you may find this hard to believe, this site is not just set up for you to post your responses alone.
    The point I was trying to make was that the answers given on this thread already (by you, myself and another) are as comprehensive as possible already. I was in no way trying to imply that my answers alone are in any way conclusive.

Regardless, the thread remains on this board… ;)
  • Thanks for the replies guys, I've been away so only just read them.

Here's a copy of the document that I have that made me think that I did have PPI. The original certainly has the correct address and the correct credit card number. If I'm incorrect in my thinking that I had PPI then I'll give up.
    111344334.jpg
    0 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Well, that certainly shows that you held a PPI policy and the cost of it in 2012. Why didn't you include this evidence as part of your original complaint?

However,

You had an average outstanding balance of £8.47!
    You paid a PPI grand total of 86p in the whole of 2012!

If you have conducted your account in that manner during the whole 12 years you've held the card, then any PPI refund will be tiny.

If I were you I'd wait to see exactly what the rejection letter from the Bank actually says before taking any other action. It may be that you misunderstood the operator who apparently told you that you didn't have PPI and that your rejection was for another reason entirely.

If you find that they have indeed rejected on the basis that you had no PPI, then you'll have to send a Subject Access Request (SAR) letter to see what records they have kept on file for you.

Unfortunately, although your evidence is pretty conclusive that you had PPI, it's not going to help you recover payments from other years if the Bank no longer have records.

See what their letter says first
  • Well, that certainly shows that you held a PPI policy and the cost of it in 2012. Why didn't you include this evidence as part of your original complaint?

However,

You had an average outstanding balance of £8.47!
    You paid a PPI grand total of 86p in the whole of 2012!

If you have conducted your account in that manner during the whole 12 years you've held the card, then any PPI refund will be tiny.

If I were you I'd wait to see exactly what the rejection letter from the Bank actually says before taking any other action. It may be that you misunderstood the operator who apparently told you that you didn't have PPI and that your rejection was for another reason entirely.

If you find that they have indeed rejected on the basis that you had no PPI, then you'll have to send a Subject Access Request (SAR) letter to see what records they have kept on file for you.

Unfortunately, although your evidence is pretty conclusive that you had PPI, it's not going to help you recover payments from other years if the Bank no longer have records.

See what their letter says first
    Thanks for the advice.
    I didn't include my document because my complaint was deal with over the phone & I didn't know I had it until a I found it recently.
    Anyway, I've received the bank's reply and spoken to an advisor on the phone. Their take on it is contradictory...one letter states that that the case is closed, yet another one weeks later says they are still investigating, Their reason for rejection is that I didn't have PPI. The last advisor I spoke to said that I hadn't any PPI, but contradicted herself by telling me that the bank had offered me a small sum 2 years ago which I had accepted......I know nothing of this and they certainly haven't given me the money. I wasn't aware of PPI on credit cards 2 years ago.
    I've drafted a letter to challenge their decision. If it was just a few pounds I wouldn't bother, but as I said, I was near maxed out on one card for a couple of years (many thousands) & if they can make so many mistakes they need to check everything again properly.
    Don't know how others on here have found Lloyds, but I think they're a bit crafty. 3 years ago I claimed PPI refund on a loan I had and they had put the money in my account before I received their decision by post giving me little chance of rejecting their offer.
    Thanks again for everyone's advice, it's helped a lot.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Avro Energy and Green cease trading

What it means for your gas & electrity

MSE News

Energy mythbusting

What really makes a difference?

MSE Guides

Free £6 Amazon credit for some

When you add £50 to gift card balance

MSE Deals