Ver greedy cat

Options
Hi All,

I have a 7 year old British Blue boy and I am a little concerned about his behaviour at the moment.

For about 3 months he has become extremely greedy, he has always been a little greedy and loves food, however in the last 3 months or so, he is really bad and has really started to annoy me.

He gets fed twice a day, a mixture of wet and dried food, all premium foods. He has been fine with this up until a few months ago, when he decided that he will stop eating. In order to get him to eat again we started to give him raw chicken which he loves so he started eating again. We have always fed him a little raw chicken from time to time and we know he eats it, this is why we started giving it to him.

Now the problem is that he eats everything, he gobbles his food down in the morning as soon as I give it to him, he then moves to eat my other cat's food, he then starts to beg for more. As soon as we move towards the kitchen, no matter what timeit is, he runs to start begging even if he has just been fed. We cannot walk without him thinking he is going to be fed.

He has started stealing food if we leave anything on the table. It looks like he has been rummaging through the bins as I have come downstairs and found bones on the floor. If anyone is eating anything he starts crying begging for it.

About 3 weeks ago we got a puppy, he now goes into her crate to eat her food. It's almost as if he has become obsessed with food and it's all he thinks about. I would have thought that the puppy might have something to do with his attitude, however it started before she arrived. He has always been a greedy chops, but now its really bad. I dont think its hunger as he begs straight away after eating and at times when he still has food in his bowl, his meaows sound really desperate as if he was starving but we know he is not.

Can anyone shed some light on what it might be? 3 months ago nothing different happened, apart from him going off his food and losing weight, which he has now put back on after we fed him raw chicken for a few weeks and he has started eating again, he just seems to have quadrupled his appetite.

I am planning a visit to the vets but just trying to get any ideas as to what might be causing this.

Thanks

Comments

• gettingready
    gettingready Posts: 11,330 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You say "premium food" - what brands?
  • redfragglebiker
    Options
    Sounds simple but have you had him wormed recently. Eating in that manner can sometimes be due to the fact they have worms. I had a beautiful lurcher rescue puppy for a short while (kind of an unofficial foster if you will) as he was being desperately mistreated. He came to me one evening and just ate and ate and ate like no tomoorw. It was a couple of days before we could get him some worming tablets and boy was he riddle with them. Poor mite looked like he was pooing spaghetti after he's had the meds. The wolfing down of food did stop after being wormed tough. Xx
    He's now with a lovely family who have two other rescue dogs, He;s bright, happy and full of beans!
    Everyone has a dark side... apparently mine is called Harold?!? :huh:
  • CATS
    CATS Posts: 286 Forumite
    edited 29 August 2014 at 11:35AM
    Options
    Hi redfragglebiker, it has been at least 6 months so have just sent hubby to get some, I hope this helps, I didnt even think about that, thank you.

By the way poor little mite, I dont understand how people can be so cruel, so glad to hear he is now happy
  • CATS
    Options
    He is on Hill's science plan for dry and applaws for wet
  • GobbledyGook
    GobbledyGook Posts: 2,195 Forumite
    Options
    Does he go out?

We had a similar problem and it was months before we connected his increased appetite with the fact a lovely old lady down the road moving away. Turns out she fed all of the local cats!
  • jenny-wren
    jenny-wren Posts: 838 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We have the same problem. Our cat is always hungry and races towards where we put her food dishes anytime we go anywhere near them. However, she is getting rather overweight.

She was on a renal diet for a couple of months but is now back on 'normal' food again. I feed her as a 4kg cat (on the vet's advice) but she is now about 5.7kg. I can't understand why she is constantly hungry and doesn't appear to be losing weight. She can't possibly have worms because she is so overweight and our vet doesn't seem overly concerned.

She's inside all day when we are at work so I'm guessing her apparent obsession with food could be because she is bored. We're making an effort to play with her more but she's so lazy! Perhaps we just have a fat lazy cat!

Does your cat get plenty of attention and play time?
    Norn Iron Club Member 330 ;)
  • gettingready
    gettingready Posts: 11,330 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    jenny-wren wrote: »
    I feed her as a 4kg cat (on the vet's advice) but she is now about 5.7kg. I can't understand why she is constantly hungry

ermm.. because she WANTS to eat for her 5.7 weight....

Feel for you though, getting a cat to lose weight is a nightmare.

Back to OP though - one of mine, Fred.. he is 4 yo and just over 6kg. He is not fat, just a big cat. He is on k/d diet now but he ALWAYS was the greadiest cat and will eat his food and then finish off what the other 3 left and then beg for more - all the time. But he has always been like that.

If it is new with your cat and if it does not coincide with arrival of the puppy (when that could be stress) - I am afraid a trip to the vets may be necesary...
  • Azmataz
    Azmataz Posts: 137 Forumite
    Options
    At age 7, I'd be taking him for a full blood screen, along with a T4 to rule our hyperthyroidism. While you're at the vets, I'd also ask for a prescription quality wormer like Milbemax. It takes out tapeworm too, unlike many wormer tablets and pipettes available off prescription.
    If all else fails, there are satiety control foods available from Royal Canin (and others, I'm sure) which use fibre to bulk out meals and make feline tummies feel fuller.
    Most importantly, please don't be annoyed with him. He's trying to tell you that something isn't quite right and he obviously needs a bit of help. :)
  • CATS
    Options
    thanks all, he has always been bit greedy but at the moment he is just over the top. I am going to book him in for an MOT at the vets. He is a big cat 6.9kg, he has always been big and lazy also.

He is an indoor cat, only goes to the garden for a little while but does not leave the garden so he couldn't have been getting food anywhere else. I think a trip to the vets is needed
  • kb_soma
    kb_soma Posts: 270 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Agreeing with worming him. My cat gets all fussy then eats everything. Feel his tummy, if it is a little plump that could be a sign. Also worm your other pets too.
    LBM: NOVEMBER 2011 || debt free date:30/06/15 || The Fighting Debt Army: #442 || Frugal Living Challenge 2018 || January 2018 Grocery £1.22/£100 ||
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure