Advice needed on cancelling Tesco phone

Options
moidoid
moidoid Posts: 18 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
Hello all, hope someone can help.

I signed up for a 2 year contract with Tesco Mobile in June 2013 with a Samsung handset. I paid a bit more for data because that was my real need, not calls. I found that the data reception was erratic and that the network reception indicator bore no relation to the ability to get a signal for data.

I reported this to them in Feb this year when it became impossible to use at all. We spent a while altering settings to no avail and then I had to send them the phone a couple of months ago for repair. They returned it and said the fault was fixed, which it seemed to be initially.

I have recently been on holiday in the UK and the reception in towns, anywhere in fact, has been non-existent - although it occasionally works for a short time. The reception indicator shows full signal and calls can be made, but no internet.

I feel as though I have not had use of this phone for months now and am paying £20 a month for the privilege. I am thinking of writing to head office to say that I want to end the contract but I'm not sure this will work. There seems to be little in the contract that says what I should expect from them but plenty the other way round.

Any advice?

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I would factory reset thne phone first .
  • gjchester
    gjchester Posts: 5,741 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds like a phone fault. Samsung have a two year warranty so send it back for service. Have you tried the sim in another phone to try and diagnose if it's the contract or account settings or the phone?

You are unlikely to get any refund on past unused data, and you can end the contract at any time but there will be early termination fees due.
  • moidoid
    Options
    Thanks Guys...

I have been through the settings with them a number of times and alread sent it back to be fixed - which they said they had done but the same fault keeps appearing.

I reported this fault in Feb 2014 and since they have not sorted it yet I think I have a case. Maybe I need to ask for a new handset since this one keeps failing.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Its the contract for the network not the phone .
    You can try using the sim in another phone to see if its the network or the phone .
  • gjchester
    Options
    moidoid wrote: »
    I reported this fault in Feb 2014 and since they have not sorted it yet I think I have a case. Maybe I need to ask for a new handset since this one keeps failing.

Who doing the repair Tesco or Samsung?

You can ask for a new handset but you only have the right to get one of the same condition ie 14 months old but working.
  • moidoid
    Options
    It's the phone, not the sim. I'll try to get a phone that works. Only 10 months to go and I would advise anyone to avoid Tesco like the plague. Their customer service is as poor as any I've had in recent years. They seem to have no interest in keeping customers, presumably because they have you signed up, but that is very short-sighted. They will soon get a reputation for this.
  • gjchester
    Options
    moidoid wrote: »
    It's the phone, not the sim. I'll try to get a phone that works. Only 10 months to go and I would advise anyone to avoid Tesco like the plague. Their customer service is as poor as any I've had in recent years. They seem to have no interest in keeping customers, presumably because they have you signed up, but that is very short-sighted. They will soon get a reputation for this.

I'd disagree I find them far better than Vodafone ever were, but I have a SIM only contract. My experience with all networks is most don't care beyond the customer signing up to be honest.

However you didn't answer the prior question, have you tried sending the phone to Samsung to have it looked at?
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,906 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I have issues with their internet off and on, between 12-12:30 it doesn't work
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • moidoid
    Options
    I've sent it to Tesco - I don't know if they sent it on to Samsung but in any case they returned it as repaired. It seemed to work initially but the same fault has re-occurred.
  • moidoid
    Options
    Well I called them and they will take it back for exchange, which I am happy with. I will be writing to head office to ask for a refund of a reasonable amount of the charges for non-functionality over 6 months too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure