Can a PS3 12gb HDD be upgraded?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Gaming MoneySaving
9 replies 1.3K views
ferryferry Forumite
1.9K Posts
Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Gaming MoneySaving
Seems like my son's 12gb unit is just not enough for him these days so wonder if there is any way I can upgrade the HDD to say 80 or even 120gb?
If so could I please have a type/ spec on the HDD I need and how to install it please?

Many thanks as usual
F
:j

Replies

• PenguinJimPenguinJim Forumite
    844 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Almost. You cannot upgrade the 12GB internal memory. When you install a HDD, you will no longer be able to access that 12GB. So back everything up first. Some save games are copy-protected so you can never transfer them, in a stroke of astounding genius by Sony.

But yes, you can lob in pretty much any 2.5" HDD as long as you have a screwdriver. You'll probably be able to get a 1TB HDD for roughly the same price as a 120GB HDD! ;)

Be careful not to get a 3.5" HDD as it will be too big and require too much power to be supported.
    Q: What kind of discussions aren't allowed?
    A: It goes without saying that this site's about MoneySaving.

Q: Why are some Board Guides sometimes unpleasant?
    A: We very much hope this isn't the case. But if it is, please make sure you report this, as you would any other forum user's posts, to [email protected].
  • ferryferry Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks
    Does it need to be SATA or do the 2.5 hdd only come in one type?
    844 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be extremely surprised if you could find an IDE 2.5" drive still for sale, but you're right, it should be SATA. Any SATA, 1, 2 or 3 is fine.

Edit: if you're not in a mad rush, I'll keep an eye out for a good price for a drive for you between now and Friday. Window shopping is fun! :)

A: We very much hope this isn't the case. But if it is, please make sure you report this, as you would any other forum user's posts, to [email protected].
    844 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I think this 2.5" 500GB Momentus Thin for £33.56 delivered should fit the bill pretty well. The PS3 can take 7mm or 9.5mm drives, and this is 7mm. It's a bit faster than its 9.5mm M8 cousin, too - probably due to its 16MB cache (compared to 8 on the M8), and it should be near-silent in operation.

You're looking at £46+ for 1TB. 500GB should be more than enough for a PS3, though. However... if you're feeling confident (and possibly own a rotary multi-tool :D) you could open up the case on this external 2.5" drive and have a 1TB drive for £30.24. Cut it carefully and you could use the USB interface for other drives in future! It will probably be slightly slower than the above Momentus, though.

• ferryferry Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for getting back to me on this.
    I'll take a look at your recommendations

F
  • ChickabiddybexChickabiddybex Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Intrepid Forum Explorer Savvy Shopper!
    ✭✭✭
    Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the Gaming, Consumer Rights, Ebay and Praise/Vent boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
  • Interesting thread,i was also curious about this topic, thanks for sharing guys.
  • ferryferry Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to drag up an old thread-would anyone know if once I instal the new hard drive I can transfer everything from the flash drive to the new one without any loss of data?

Thanks again
    F
    844 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    No, you cannot. You will lose access to the 12GB once you have a hard drive in there. You will need to copy everything onto a USB drive or back up to the Cloud first.

This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals