We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Tesco Groceries Delivery

Options
Hi all,

I have my food delivery weekly by Tescos. Mostly they are fine, the drivers are always polite and replacements are clearly pointed out. I have occasionally had the odd issue but when I've called their customer services they have always been polite and fixed the issue.

However yesterday.. I was feeling unwell, husband took delivery of food. I came down while he was unpacking and asking if everything was OK.. Noticed a MASSIVE shoulder of pork, it was on half price deal and I ordered a bit about £5 but the bit that was delivered was nearly twice that at £9.96. I normally let it go if its a pound or so out but this was a large error so I called up CS. I've had this happen before and they have just refunded the difference (the lady was really nice before and even suggested I cut it in half and freeze the other bit which I did!). This time the chap was really rude, telling me I should have checked before the driver left etc I said that my husband took delivery and that the item was buried in a bag and not pointed out like replacements are so you don't think to check... He then said I should put a note on the order saying the size of meat I will accept. Very grudgingly he said just this once he'd refund the difference...

So, has anyone else had a similar experience? It worries me that I might overlook ordering a "counter item" and end up with a massive load of something I don't want in future... Do I have to start ticking off everything on the order before the driver leaves?

I think its wrong that they expect you to take an extra step of adding a note when there is no warning about this on the site. When there is a lot of shopping its hard to go through everything when its delivered, I've always trusted Tesco to do just do as I've ordered (or point it out like a sub...) until now.

Comments

• marcarm
    marcarm Posts: 1,205 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The EXACT same thing happened to me.

Ordered 1.4kg and was deliver nearly 4kg.

Complained and was told the same thing, and I could take to the store for a refund, but told them I'm not paying to travel on a 25 mile round trip to return it.

Begrudgingly they gave me £10 refund, meaning I got the whole joint for 28p.

Was told they picked the smaller joint on the shelf, and I also should have checked before the driver left. Luckily had enough room in the freezer so could split it into three and freeze what we didn't want over the weekend.
  • RuthnJasper
    RuthnJasper Posts: 4,032 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had this with Sainsburys online, but the other way around. I don't usually use the service, but I had the 'flu. I ordered a Taste the Difference beef joint, enough to serve at least 7. They were "out of stock" apparently so, as a replacement, they chose for me... two frying steaks.

I was fuming. They refunded the money in the end, but it didn't make for a very satisfying Sunday lunch.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I had this with Sainsburys online, but the other way around. I don't usually use the service, but I had the 'flu. I ordered a Taste the Difference beef joint, enough to serve at least 7. They were "out of stock" apparently so, as a replacement, they chose for me... two frying steaks.

I was fuming. They refunded the money in the end, but it didn't make for a very satisfying Sunday lunch.

Think it comes down to how good/intelligent your picker is.

I've ordered a pack of 28 for £5 before....and in its place they sent 2 x 10 packs for the same price. Customer service rep kept insisting there was no problem as the 2 x 10 packs had been reduced so I only paid £5 for them.

Eventually she managed to understand my point....that 20 for £5 is more expensive than 28 for £5, but it took a good 10 minutes for her to grasp.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • SlowCooker
    SlowCooker Posts: 234 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A similar problem I have with online orders is when they replace a part of a meal or multi-buy offer and charge me full price for everything. This happens mostly with Asda.
  • Paully232000
    Paully232000 Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    Options
    I have never had any major problems with tesco delivery, sending back items with the driver, or getting a refund on items not delivered or wrong when I email cs. Must have been lucky as I remember a thread on here a while back (cant find it now) on bizarre substitutions people have received. I am sure some of them were made up but i remember it being a very funny thread.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I've never bought anything from Tesco online, but I might have to shortly. Do they give you a choice at the checkout: accept substitutions or go without?
  • Paully232000
    Paully232000 Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    Options
    jack_pott wrote: »
    I've never bought anything from Tesco online, but I might have to shortly. Do they give you a choice at the checkout: accept substitutions or go without?

You can specify if you want them to substitute, or just not deliver anything if they dont have it.
    Also, if you choose substitutions, which I do, the driver always gives you the list of items substituted on your receipt and you can send them back with the driver for a refund.

Personally, never had many probs with substitutions, so always ask for them, as, like I say, you can send them back with the driver.
  • picklekin
    picklekin Posts: 889 Forumite
    Options
    The subs are often weird, if they are out of chives you get thyme instead for example, not really gonna go in my recipe! However I have no real complaints about it, you get them clearly set out at the top of your receipt, and they come in yellow bags on top of your shopping so you can have a look. The driver points them out too. You can even make a little note to your picker (I did that when they started putting one lone onion in a massive onion bag!)

However compare this to the mahoosive lump of pork I've had to jam into my freezer and the way that's treated is very different, not clearly marked, not pointed out, and NOT the same price as your ordered!
  • frugal_mike
    frugal_mike Posts: 1,687 Forumite
    Options
    My kitchen is currently being replaced so I currently only have a microwave and no work-surfaces. I've spent the last few weeks ordering nothing but ready meals. One of the ready meals was two microwaveable baked potatoes with cheese on top. This was replaced with a bag of mashed potatoe. Needless to say that was sent back.
  • lucy03
    lucy03 Posts: 520 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

I had a delivery with Sainsbury's where I ordered a product that was, say, 1kg and on offer at £10. They said it was out of stock and sent me two 500g packs of the same product which weren't on offer and cost £20. I sent the items back so it didn't matter, but when I e-mail Sainsbury's I was helpfully told that their IT system was not as sophisticated as that of some other supermarkets and the staff weren't allowed to change prices.

It wasn't a great issue but something similar happened with Tesco shortly afterwards and they did use their initiative and gave even better value than I had ordered. The end result was that I just moved to Tesco.

Personally I do think that supermarkets should offer substitutes at no extra cost to the customer to what was originally ordered, not from a legal angle but just in terms of customer service.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport