🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Staring it in the eye

Options

Comments

• ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    Options
    C.W wrote: »
    So I've heard! It felt like a revelation when I started back on whole milk. Totally different and so full of flavour, so I'm quite excited about finding some unhomogenised.

Woah, no need to get excited over it - it is only milk after all. Thirty years ago just about all milk was like that.

I would warn you however - "shake the bottle". You'll find out why the first time you put single cream on your cornflakes... ;)

Also, you will also find that unhomogenised milk "ages" while in storage. It doesn't go off any faster than homogenised milk, but the cream tends to clump together after a time. You can tell approximately how long it has been in the food supply chain after a while. In my mind that's why the supermarkets were so keen to homogenise, so they can sell you old stuff and you'd never know.
    We're certainly odd creatures in that we do need to feel satisfied with our existence in that we have a purpose.

I don't think we are odd. Most of the animal kingdom, and good proportion of the human kingdom have a purpose in common - the next meal. Once you take that away from people (and animals), then things become problematic.

I'm sure you've seen the - frankly awful - video of a bear in a zoo swaying it's head back and forth all day long. Driven out of its mind by boredom.

There was also a case a while ago (again in a zoo), where someone threw a traffic cone into the enclosure of a large mammal (IIRC it was a polar bear, but don't quote me). That animal then used to throw the cone out, for people to throw it back in - making it's own entertainment. I'd be very surprised if that was allowed to continue, if it's not health and safety fretting over someone getting clattered over the head with a traffic cone, it would be "animal welfare" people denouncing an apex predator throwing a traffic cone around as "degrading".

Then there's the now infamous "Rat Park" (linky) and the rather dirty secret that Circus tigers live longer than Zoo tigers.

We're not that different from animals. Or is it that they not that different from us?
    I suppose activism, fanaticism etc helps some to feel there's a purpose for them. Some I agree with, others I don't.

That's to be expected. If everyone thought the same, they'd all think like me, and the world would be perfect - like me... :grin:
    I agree in the sense that Faith can make life easier (even when troubled). You don't have to question or work things out because the path is always paved with stories, morals and there's a man in a box who'll steer you on the right path should you stray... Because you believe there's a reason for everything, even when it's awful. That "things are sent to try us", maybe to see if you're "worthy".

Now you're believing the man in the box (Jack? ;) ) actually does speak to God and is perfect. No, it doesn't work like that. What religion does do is tend to focus people down a bit, so their responses to "challenges" are a bit less wild than they could be.

So people don't believe they're having problems which can be cured by sitting under crystal pyramids. Or that they're due to mis-deeds in a past life. And so on.
    But I actually like that I am accountable for my own life. That I do have morals, and pretty strong ones at that, but I don't defer to a higher being when making decisions. I don't hand over the reigns to a man who believes he talks on "God's" behalf.

It doesn't matter if he believes he talks on God's behalf, only that you do... ;)
    My issue is not with religion as I believe that's a pretty good guide book for anyone wanting to know the basics of being a decent human being (though it's somewhat outdated in some areas).

Well to be fair to most religious books, they have very little to do with religion. If they did, they'd be quite short and would say:

The beginning. Believe in God. The End.

Instead they have to lay down rules for all sorts of situations, not really personal rules, but rules for organisations and societies (going for the numbers as it were). The two main themes running through them all are resolution of conflicts, and control of disease.

Now you could claim some things are out of date, but many things change cyclically. So, to choose a slightly contentious theme - promiscuity.
    • Bible: Do not be promiscuous, or you will die and burn in hellfire.
    • After Pasteur's Germ Theory: Do not be promiscious, or you will catch something and you'll die.
    • After the development of antibiotics: It's fine to be promiscious, because if you catch something you'll get antibiotics and it'll die.
    • After the age of AIDS: Don't be promiscious, or you'll catch AIDS and you'll die.
    • After the development of antibiotic resistance in STDs (coming soon...): Don't be promiscious, or you'll catch something, your bits will feel like they're burning in hellfire, and you'll wish you died...

Is the bible behind the times or ahead of them? ;)
    It's with those who don't "love thy neighbour" unless their neighbour agrees with them or are mirror images of them.

You will always get that. Religion or none. The Borgias apparently were not nice people, despite being Pope...
    But I think I'm going off track here...

You can talk about whatever you want. The daily chat sometime would throw up some deep and meaningful subjects - but that died a death, a long, long time ago.
    How do you suppose they "ensure maturity is lacking"?

A number of ways. Probably the most insidious is Post-Modernism, where everything is relative, including truth and morality. So it says: You're not wrong, it's just that the circumstances were wrong - if circumstances were different, you'd have been right. You're a victim of circumstances, and it's not your fault you're wrong, because you're not wrong, just a victim - and so on.

This has led to generations of people incapable of standing by and being accountable for their own actions. Just like small children.
    The bully mentality?

Indeed, stemming from the spoilt child mentality.
    It may give you pause, but I don't think everyone thinks like that. I think some just like followers to make them feel powerful.

Yes, and that inflates their ego, so they get their followers to do more and more extreme things, until some poor soul gets in their way and dies.
    It does depend. Especially on what it is that mobilising them. I feel media has a lot to blame in this sense. They have a lot of sway and few people seem inclined to question what they're being spoon-fed,

I don't think that at all. I think the media think they have a lot of sway, and I think politicians think the media have a lot of sway. But they don't. If the media says something that the public is already thinking, or that conforms to publicly held values, then it appears like they're doing a lot. But it is like a boat being dragged along by a tidal wave.

Think of it this way. You're driving along in a 30 zone - your speedo says "35" - what do you do? You slow down.

You're stopped at traffic lights. Your speedo say "35" do you slow down? No - you go "Damn thing is broken" and continue on your way.
    not to mention their sources aren't always the most reputable. I don't think I'll be mobilising on anything I hear about by way of the Sun/Daily Mail etc.

Most people don't. Virtually all I would say. There are the "ooh ain't if awful" people, but that's hardly a mobilised force. When wind turbines came out, the chattering classes loved them, the media loved them, the politicians loved them, and the public hated them.

Now the media are turning against them, the politicians are turning against them, and the public has barely moved in their dislike.
    I'd like to see people using those 'powers' for good...

Well if you're wanting people to not be motivated by power, not motivated by strong beliefs - what would you want them motivated by?

The last time that happened, it was the American revolution and they were motivated by money - avoiding taxation to be exact.

Why don't you go for it? Become an orator, a leader.
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • C.W
    C.W Posts: 135 Forumite
    edited 22 August 2014 at 7:32AM
    Options
    My apologies as not much time to jump on and chat but I certainly intend to post a more thorough reply!

Right, payday has been and so far my budget holds. I went back on and re-edited my shopping order before it came and managed to reduce by another £10 as some of the stuff wasn't really needed this month, like crushed garlic when I have garlic cloves in the fridge.

Cat carrier found for £8 on For Sale or Swap on facebook.

I got a little more on my wage than expected which covered a couple of expenses I forgot about, like my Microsoft subscription. I need it for my course so there's no way of getting around that unfortunately, though it's ridiculously expensive. Not to mention I needed to buy the rest of my set books as I get my course material at the end of this month for 2 modules starting in October. I need to get a head start on studying or I'm going to drown (definitely a challenge having full time work AND taking on a full time degree).

Also, just found out how Vodafone's change of payment structures translates when I went to pay my bill. My bill is normally £25 but this was £45! Think I'll be keeping that internet switched off then my bill should be £17 - so shove that in your pipe and smoke it, Vodafone! Hence not having time to reply.

I made a veggie lasagne which has lasted about 4 meals (and that's with generous portions). Going to make a veggie bean curry at the weekend for next week.

A visit to the vet's tomorrow, then I'm meeting a friend for cheap fun (crazy golf!)

Paid all the bills I needed to and put money into my ISA. I think it's the first time I've gotten a few days after payday and there's still more than £100 left!

As it stands, I have £195.22 (providing my account reflects 'true' balance right now) and out of that I have to pay:
    *Vets
    *4 week bus travel
    *Day out with a friend
    *Next month's phone bill as it falls just before payday and want to avoid late payment charge
    *Top-up on groceries
    *Probably another bag of kitty-litter

I also have a ladies night on Monday so *fingers crossed* a bit of extra money from that and there's another booking start of September.
    If you don't believe you can ever do it, you never will.
  • ChopinonaBudget
    Options
    Well done on your budget being stable :) that's always an achievement in my book :)

In our house, when things break, we just pretend they still work
  • ZTD
    Options
    My apologies as not much time to jump on and chat but I certainly intend to post a more thorough reply!

Don't worry about it. Many people find life gets in the way... ;)
    Right, payday has been and so far my budget holds. I went back on and re-edited my shopping order before it came and managed to reduce by another £10 as some of the stuff wasn't really needed this month, like crushed garlic when I have garlic cloves in the fridge.

Cat carrier found for £8 on For Sale or Swap on facebook.

Well that's good news, or it would have been a cardboard box... ;)
    I got a little more on my wage than expected which covered a couple of expenses I forgot about, like my Microsoft subscription.

Have you updated your budget with that?
    I need it for my course so there's no way of getting around that unfortunately,

What course is it? That wasn't in your budget either.
    though it's ridiculously expensive.

All Micro$oft stuff is... ;)
    Not to mention I needed to buy the rest of my set books as I get my course material at the end of this month for 2 modules starting in October. I need to get a head start on studying or I'm going to drown (definitely a challenge having full time work AND taking on a full time degree).

A challenge is one word for it. :eek: Do you have flexible hours?
    A visit to the vet's tomorrow, then I'm meeting a friend for cheap fun (crazy golf!)

See, if you hadn't explained yourself, we could have had all sorts of fun speculating.
    I also have a ladies night on Monday so *fingers crossed* a bit of extra money from that and there's another booking start of September.

Well that's looking good then.
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • C.W
    Options
    ZTD wrote: »
    Well that's good news, or it would have been a cardboard box... ;)

haha. Yes! She didn't like it much in the beginning but she was no trouble and very brave at the vets. She was pretty knocked out by the evening though after the injection, parasite and worm treatment... poor kitty. Seems much happier this morning though, even if a bit tired.
    Have you updated your budget with that?

I will be. Posted it on here so I remember to! :D
    What course is it? That wasn't in your budget either.

It's an Open University degree so generally there are no fees for me to pay etc. But forgot about set books for the start of the academic year. Got them all now (the five week month I forgot about really came in handy!).
    All Micro$oft stuff is... ;)

It's disgusting! Can't afford to change systems/laptop though so microsoft it is.
    A challenge is one word for it. :eek: Do you have flexible hours?

Nope. I work full time. After summer it goes back to Mon-Fri 9-5.30. I get the bus in and out of work so I get most of my set book reading done then. I don't watch TV so I know there are big chunks of time I can use productively as, when I do apply myself, I can get lots done! The Ann Summers thing is an as and when parties come up/when I book them so there's flexibility with that.

The degree is flexible hours though as I can essentially do as little or as much as I want, providing I still submit assignments on time. You can request extensions but I try to avoid that as you just end up getting bogged down with overdue assignments and stuck playing catch-up.
    See, if you hadn't explained yourself, we could have had all sorts of fun speculating.

So should have! haha. Well, the crazy golf was pretty cheap (£11 for 2 games which last about an hour each). It's dinner afterwards that always takes a big chunk of the social budget. Need to find some super tasty but budget friendly eateries!
  • C.W
    edited 24 August 2014 at 10:36AM
    Options
    Keep mulling over ideas on how to bring in a little extra money that I have more control over (ie/ provide a service I can earn from) OR something that saves me money. I already have a functioning sewing machine and have spent £20 of the extra monies this month on fabric, zips and an "easy" 5-style skirt pattern that will save me money as I can make something that actually fits both my budget and my figure. Not to mention that, if I get a standard I'm happy with, I can offer made-to-measure skirts. Then move onto other garments.

It costs £7-9 for the pattern and £6-9 for enough fabric for the skirt. I was thinking that when making for someone else I could charge, say, £25 for the first skirt but I save their pattern and any future orders are £5 cheaper providing I don't need a new pattern.
  • ZTD
    Options
    haha. Yes! She didn't like it much in the beginning but she was no trouble and very brave at the vets. She was pretty knocked out by the evening though after the injection, parasite and worm treatment... poor kitty. Seems much happier this morning though, even if a bit tired.

It'll be like any medical treatment - a bit of a shock to the system. Even worse when you're that small.
    It's an Open University degree

...in..?
    so generally there are no fees for me to pay etc. But forgot about set books for the start of the academic year. Got them all now (the five week month I forgot about really came in handy!).

Are there any other expenses like tutorials/visits/stuff like that?
    It's disgusting! Can't afford to change systems/laptop though so microsoft it is.

What were the options?
    Nope. I work full time. After summer it goes back to Mon-Fri 9-5.30. I get the bus in and out of work so I get most of my set book reading done then. I don't watch TV so I know there are big chunks of time I can use productively as, when I do apply myself, I can get lots done!

It's still a fair chunk of time, you'll be tired at times.
    The degree is flexible hours though as I can essentially do as little or as much as I want, providing I still submit assignments on time. You can request extensions but I try to avoid that as you just end up getting bogged down with overdue assignments and stuck playing catch-up.

Yes, that's something to avoid.
    So should have! haha.

You don't want me speculating. You'd end up denying it for years... ;)
    Well, the crazy golf was pretty cheap (£11 for 2 games which last about an hour each). It's dinner afterwards that always takes a big chunk of the social budget. Need to find some super tasty but budget friendly eateries!

Do you use Groupon? Or do you look at Martin's newsletter - it sometimes has offers in.
    I was thinking that when making for someone else I could charge, say, £25 for the first skirt but I save their pattern and any future orders are £5 cheaper providing I don't need a new pattern.

Yes, that seems reasonable.
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • ChopinonaBudget
    Options

So should have! haha. Well, the crazy golf was pretty cheap (£11 for 2 games which last about an hour each). It's dinner afterwards that always takes a big chunk of the social budget. Need to find some super tasty but budget friendly eateries!

Do you have a tesco clubcard? I eat out loads on the back of their boost scheme; ate at Prezzo yesterday and it cost me £16 for me and my daughter for a main meal, dessert, drink each and 10% tip. When I'm really skint I forgo the drinks (ask for jug of iced water and two glasses instead) and no dessert and it only costs me a couple of quid. Hardcore maybe, but we eat out quite often doing that, so pfft. :)

In our house, when things break, we just pretend they still work
  • C.W
    edited 24 August 2014 at 12:27PM
    Options
    It'll be like any medical treatment - a bit of a shock to the system. Even worse when you're that small.

It sure would! She's happily chasing my stepdad's squeegee up and down the glass whilst he's cleaning the windows so I think she's recovering well :D Next appointment in 3 weeks for the second dose (covered by yesterday's payment).

The vet was so salesy though! Basically telling me if I didn't switch back to dry food her teeth would rot and fall out. Glad it'll be a different vet next time as I didn't really like him. One of those that comes across as having a thinly veiled sardonic nature.
    ...in..?

English language and literature. I did the first year full time (3 modules), the second year part time (1 module). This year is going to be mixed level study to cover the remainder of my second year (1 year) and starting my third year (1 module). Then one module to go after that in my fourth year.
    Are there any other expenses like tutorials/visits/stuff like that?

Nothing compulsory. They used to do monthly tutorials which wouldn't be an extra expense if I got two buses into town rather than the one train. They've since switched to 2-3 tutorials per academic year, the rest of the tutorials being online. Depends on the module and the tutor's level of commitment for the most part though.
    What were the options?

Essentially a relatively new module computer (2008 or newer) that has software that can be accessed via the electronic submissions process. I tried a free word program in the beginning and it wasn't compatible. I used to get around this by emailing the assignment to myself and setting the final draft on the work's computer for submission. That was when I worked night shifts at a hospital. I can't really do that now as I work somewhere else and on day shifts.

The general specs are:
    You will need a computer with internet access to study this module as it includes online activities, which you can access using a web browser.
    • If you have purchased a new desktop or laptop computer since 2008 you should have no problems completing the online activities.
    • If you’ve got a netbook, tablet or other mobile device check our Technical requirements section.
    • If you use an Apple Mac you will need OS X 10.7 or later.
    Tech requirements:

Processor 3.0GHz Pentium 4 or 2.0GHz dual core or similar Memory 1GB (2GB for 64-bit Windows) Operating system Windows Vista/7/8 or Mac OS X 10.7 or a recent Linux distribution DVD Drive N
    It's still a fair chunk of time, you'll be tired at times.

I know but it's not so new to me anymore. I know I'm studying at a higher level now but the process I pretty much have sorted now and I think I've made a pretty good foundation through my previous modules. I was actually hitting high seconds and firsts with my last module and, if I'm honest, I didn't apply myself as much as I could have. Left a lot of things until the last minute when I did have the time earlier to do it. Don't plan to do that this time.

I don't plan on wasting my time not getting the work done only to find I have to spend more time repeating modules to complete, since failure is not an option. It's get it done now or repeat the process until you get it right.

I can definitely see why so many people feel distance learning isn't for them though as you do have to be very driven and motivated as it's so easy to slip through the cracks. You may get a little nudge here and there from your tutor if they're the decent kind and want to push you to succeed. But, given they're only contracted to about 4 hours a week and this includes forum time, emails, marking etc... that may not always happen.
    Do you use Groupon? Or do you look at Martin's newsletter - it sometimes has offers in.

Actually I haven't. When I've looked at the emails etc they never seem to have the coupons/offers I want and it'd be so easy to get carried away with the idea of new clothes, beauty products etc... so I tend to avoid most offers now. You can search groupon for specific vouchers, can't you? Most offers I've seen aren't for the weekends though.
    Yes, that seems reasonable.

I thought so too! I didn't want to price myself out of the market but think that's good value for a made-to-fit garment. Practice is needed first though.

Think my auntie has some other patterns too so going to pick her brain (and supplies) for ideas.
  • C.W
    Options
    Do you have a tesco clubcard? I eat out loads on the back of their boost scheme; ate at Prezzo yesterday and it cost me £16 for me and my daughter for a main meal, dessert, drink each and 10% tip. When I'm really skint I forgo the drinks (ask for jug of iced water and two glasses instead) and no dessert and it only costs me a couple of quid. Hardcore maybe, but we eat out quite often doing that, so pfft. :)

How do you get on the boost scheme? We have a tesco clubcard as a family, so it's not in my name.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport