Christmas 2014...Savings & Handmade gifts

Options
Okkkk, so I know there's a million and one posts on here about Christmas savings..but here's another :p

SO... after going crazy in 2013 and spending FAR too much of which some I'm still stuck paying off, I have certainly learnt my lesson! This year I am cleansing my gift list & only buying for those important people. In addition I am going to try to make some pressies and do a couple of hampers...how these turn out remains to be seen.

Just wondering if people would share some tips for saving and any cute handmade gift ideas?

I have been doing the Nectar Ad Points but have no confidence in things such as swag bucks/online surveys that claim to pay out. Does anyone use these and can recommend...have they actually paid you out? Obviously I wouldn't be expecting mega bucks but every penny counts!

So far my ideas for hampers are all over the place. I plan on making one for my partners grandparents - although this is a challenge in itself. They aren't the type to give a tea set too, they aren't particularly 'old' ...infact I was thinking more of a can of bacardi & coke! :rotfl: yet this is where my imagination stops :(

For my mums partner and son I am thinking of a movie night or 'boys night' hamper. Also going to make a couple of the 'mistle-toes' packs as stocking fillers and wanting to make my aunt a nice vintage tea cup candle. Then I just come to a brick wall.

Any ideas guys? Sorry for rambling! :rotfl:

Comments

• crystal_fire
    Options
    I'm trying to do more hand made than bought this year (I will buy just not as much as I have done in the past) I'm finding home made a bit hard though I just think "no they won't like that" maybe I'm just talking myself out of it! cookies in a jar: no one bakes like that anymore (in my family) so I have flannel reindeer, snowman soup and pots of gold and that's about it nothing grabbing my interest on Pintrest yet either!!!

Re surveys: I signed up to a few of them and they either "didn't apply to me" or they had reached a quota despite the email just being sent!
    :starmod:If you dance with the devil, the devil don't change. The devil changes you:starmod:
  • ALou19
    ALou19 Posts: 50 Forumite
    Options
    Yeah I have the same problem. I don't want to give pointless gifts or something they won't like and making it by hand makes me worry they may look tacky.

I don't have a lot of kids to buy for just the nephew and niece but their probs the hardest as they already have everything! Although I did see the other day some personalised Santa sacks I could attempt. Pinterest is like my best friend at the min - seriously getting addicted! Haha
  • crystal_fire
    Options
    yeah I know what you mean! I had a go at sock monkeys last year they looked awful!
    Flannel reindeers looked cute though( I did one last year as a test run then stored the stuff in the attic until nearer Christmas!!!) and the pots of gold went down well

I have my little boy to buy for he should be easy, everyone else is over 20 you ask for ideas and it's "I don't know" it's like trying to squeeze blood from a stone! I hate giving money too because you always feel it's not enough or a lack of thought!

My brother should be easy he's into cooking and home brew.

Sorry I haven't been any help to this thread really :D
    :starmod:If you dance with the devil, the devil don't change. The devil changes you:starmod:
  • Rummer
    Rummer Posts: 6,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We now rarely buy people "things" instead we pay for experiences and memories for example we use Groupon and similar discount places to get vouchers for:

Afternoon tea
    Theatre Trips
    Sports experiences
    Days Out

There are some real bargains to be had and it is lovely giving something unusual.
    Taking responsibility one penny at a time!
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,509 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi,

We,re doing a handmade (mostly) christmas this year again.

for the kids (teens) I did this last year - they loved it

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/234398355580849429/

For the grown ups, I made sloe gin, lemoncello, truffles, cakes etc and made up little hampers in various boxes, baskets I bought throughout the year.

Really want to try making some bags this year 'for the ladies' liking the look of these, just need to learn to use my sewing machine :D

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/234398355580860780/

I,m a pinterest addict, and if I did everything I pinned, i,d be a size 8 amazing cook, with a beautiful house and garden who sucessfully spends her time on various hobbies - errrrm maybe one day :rotfl:
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • mrsd1984
    mrsd1984 Posts: 144 Forumite
    Options
    I was looking at scrabble frames the other day and they were a bit too expensive for my budget, so am going to attempt to make my own. I craft a little anyway, so have pretty much everything I need to make them.
    SCS Carpets 0% finance: [STRIKE]£1331.84[/STRIKE] £132.90
    SCS Sofa 0% finance: [STRIKE]£1732[/STRIKE] £455
    Barclaycard:[STRIKE]£4657.57[/STRIKE] £4657.57
    MBNA Card:[STRIKE]£4413.45[/STRIKE] £4413.45
    Total Debt: [STRIKE]£12134.86[/STRIKE] £9658.92
    August Grocery Challenge: £132.92/£160
  • Athome1
    Athome1 Posts: 345 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    mrsd1984 wrote: »
    I was looking at scrabble frames the other day and they were a bit too expensive for my budget, so am going to attempt to make my own. I craft a little anyway, so have pretty much everything I need to make them.

Ooh, what's a scrabble frame please? Is it really scrabble tiles stuck on a picture frame, like it sounds?:o
  • VintageBelle
    Options
    I always struggle with handmade gifts for blokes, so I'm hoping to do hampers with scratch cards, beer, socks, pants etc. I also want to decorate a wine glass for my dad as he is a wine lover and I've had this etching paste for ages which I've yet to use so this seems like the perfect time.

For my mom I've done a paper cut family tree type thing which I need to frame, but I have no idea what to make my sister.

I love Pinterest and could spend all day on there.
    http://www.pinterest.com/theblackout/homemade-crafts-and-gifts/

With regards to surveys etc, I've had a payout from Global Test Market but I am now struggling with their surveys. I also use Opinion Bar which I like as if you aren't eligible for the survey, as long as you click on it you get 10p, most of my credit is made up of 10p ones.

Also I strongly suggest downloading Qmee. You get money just from clicking on ads relating to your searches. (It explains it better on the site). All you need is Paypal and I don't think it works on a tablet or phone.

:)
  • mrsd1984
    mrsd1984 Posts: 144 Forumite
    Options
    Athome1 wrote: »
    Ooh, what's a scrabble frame please? Is it really scrabble tiles stuck on a picture frame, like it sounds?:o

That's basically it! I'm using deep frames. Will put a nice backing paper in the back and then arrange the tiles so they're a bit like a crossword, with everyone's names together (if that makes sense). They're over £20 to buy, I'm thinking I can do them for under £10 each.
    SCS Carpets 0% finance: [STRIKE]£1331.84[/STRIKE] £132.90
    SCS Sofa 0% finance: [STRIKE]£1732[/STRIKE] £455
    Barclaycard:[STRIKE]£4657.57[/STRIKE] £4657.57
    MBNA Card:[STRIKE]£4413.45[/STRIKE] £4413.45
    Total Debt: [STRIKE]£12134.86[/STRIKE] £9658.92
    August Grocery Challenge: £132.92/£160
  • IrishRose12
    IrishRose12 Posts: 1,732 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    With regards to surveys etc, I've had a payout from Global Test Market but I am now struggling with their surveys. I also use Opinion Bar which I like as if you aren't eligible for the survey, as long as you click on it you get 10p, most of my credit is made up of 10p ones.

Also I strongly suggest downloading Qmee. You get money just from clicking on ads relating to your searches. (It explains it better on the site). All you need is Paypal and I don't think it works on a tablet or phone.

:)

Thanks Have just signed up for the 2nd two survey sites. Never heard of those before. And what's better they didn't want my address details! I'm very fussy about who I give my address details to.

I'm new to Pintrest and still trying to work it:o But I'm loving some of the ideas on here. Love the jar idea above with money in the middle.
    Pay all debt off by Christmas 2024 £537/£3,500£1 a day challenge 2024 - £91/£730 Declutter a bag a week in 2024 6/52Lose 24lb - 3/24lbs Read 1 book per week - 5/52Pay off credit card debt 7/100%
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure