Rise of the Tomb Raider to be Xbox exclusive!

edited 12 August 2014 at 3:11PM in Gaming MoneySaving
32 replies 3.2K views
TropezTropez Forumite
3.7K Posts
edited 12 August 2014 at 3:11PM in Gaming MoneySaving
http://kotaku.com/the-next-tomb-raider-is-an-xbox-exclusive-1620022328

Crystal Dynamics have announced at Gamescom that the follow up to the successful Tomb Raider reboot will be exclusive to Microsoft's platform.

Darn it. I was looking forward to this game but I'll be damned if I'll buy an Xbox One just to play it, or play an Xbox 360 version with poorer graphics than what my PC can provide for the predecessor.

Replies

• SeduLOUsSeduLOUs Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    It was literally just announced at GamesCom. Well done MS for securing another excellent exclusive!

Especially now that I can pre-order and pre-download it digitally. Hi-Fives all round!
  • TropezTropez Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    Yes, I do have to admit it's a pretty big win for Microsoft. They must have waved a lot of cash in front of Crystal Dynamics though to alienate such a large part of their fan base.
    2.2K Posts
    That's fine by me :beer:
  • ifstarifstar Forumite
    485 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Not game related but MS have also announced that the X1 will be able to play numerous video file formats, including MKV files.
  • Takeaway_AddictTakeaway_Addict Forumite
    6.5K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    SeduLOUs wrote: »
    It was literally just announced at GamesCom. Well done MS for securing another excellent exclusive!

Especially now that I can pre-order and pre-download it digitally. Hi-Fives all round!
    why would you predownload it when you can't then sell it on surely?
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
    2.2K Posts
    why would you predownload it when you can't then sell it on surely?

Why would I want to sell it on? I want to pre-download it so it's ready to play at midnight on release and get pre-order bonuses that could only previously be obtained by pre-ordering a disc from a retailer.
  • Andy_89Andy_89 Forumite
    245 Posts
    SeduLOUs wrote: »
    Why would I want to sell it on? I want to pre-download it so it's ready to play at midnight on release and get pre-order bonuses that could only previously be obtained by pre-ordering a disc from a retailer.

I can't see the advantage of downloading games that I will not play when I have completed it. With a disc I have an asset I can sell on, and recoup a % of my initial outlay back.

Is downloading it worth it? IMO, nope I have been to about 4 midnight releases of games. I got home played 30mins and fell asleep.
  • Crazy_JamieCrazy_Jamie Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's certainly a decent move from Microsoft; notable exclusives are getting harder to secure as time goes on. Whether they get value for money from it is questionable because I doubt it will be the system seller that they want it to be, but it certainly benefits them. On the other side of the fence, I don't quite understand the move from Crystal Dynamics' perspective. I can only assume they were paid an extreme amount of money for the exclusivity; all of the other reasons in their open letter for keeping it exclusive are laughably disingenuous.
    "MIND IF I USE YOUR PHONE? IF WORD GETS OUT THAT
    I'M MISSING FIVE HUNDRED GIRLS WILL KILL THEMSELVES."
  • scoot7scoot7 Forumite
    27 Posts
    It looks pretty God damn awesome! Gutted for the Tomb Raider fans with a PS4!
  • edited 13 August 2014 at 12:05PM
    SeduLOUsSeduLOUs Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    edited 13 August 2014 at 12:05PM
    Andy_89 wrote: »
    I can't see the advantage of downloading games that I will not play when I have completed it. With a disc I have an asset I can sell on, and recoup a % of my initial outlay back.

Is downloading it worth it? IMO, nope I have been to about 4 midnight releases of games. I got home played 30mins and fell asleep.

I have two Xbox Ones in my house (me and my partner) and downloading digitally allows us to both play a game online together at the same time by only buying one copy - massive advantage. Saving £55 on buying the game in the first place is usually a bigger saving than whatever pre-owned price I'd get for it later on.

Plus I don't trade in games anyway. I don't like retailers making a massive profit on pre-owned titles by selling them for basically the same price as new, and forcing the publishers/developers to come up with new tactics to get our money like online passes etc.

I also switch games a lot when playing with friends and it is a big convenience never having to go look for discs on the shelf, everything is immediately ready to play.

Re midnight thing, if it' a big game I've been looking forward to I'd book the next day of work and have a nap at about 10pm so I'm good to play it after the midnight release with all my friends :D
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals