Cancelling Sky and using Freeview

Options

Comments

• do_i_give_up
    Options
    tracey3596 wrote: »
    As said earlier, just stick to your guns.
    My contract finishes 21st August and cancellation - though a little lengthy - went okay, PLUS I got email AND written confirmation.
    I did my cancellation like this:

1 - cancel online. It will give you a 'phone # & tell you that they will 'phone. The probability is that they won't.
    2 - after a day or two, phone up - NOT the "cancellation #" they gave you; I don't think anyone ever answers that. Phone customer services & ask to transfer to Cancellations.
    3 - here you HAVE to be firm. They'll offer you all kinds of incentives SO - if you're sure you want to cancel - stick to your guns. They'll leave you on hold a while, to "process the request" or some-such.
    4 - finally, they will confirm cancellation; give you a "switch-off" date and tell you your last debit ammount and date. Oh, PLUS give you more "blurb" about cancelling and so on.

So it CAN be done.
    HTH

1) you dont need to cancel online (it doesnt really cancel it just leaves it open for someone to contact you as no one can cancel online without DPA being fully confirmed.... after all you wouldnt want your spouse partner kids or worse after an argument getting access to private bank accounts and transferring all your monies would you... so why would any other account be different)

2) just call them direct and be transferred to cancellation/ retentions.

3) Be polite but firm stick to your guns... (being on hold means they ar elooking for any other alternative if you have rejected all prior options given or speaking to their manager (or face the sack if they dont) it really isnt meant to upset or annoy you. Take details of who you spoke to and i.d (just in case system error happens )
    4) you will recieve confirmation of the cancellation if you havent recieved this in 5 days call back (although it cant be back dated they can apply crdit to cover the additional days when it should have been cancelled so your not out of pocket)
    5) double check any payments left and if keeping additional services like broadband or telephone any additional charges for not having the tv service. If you do accept an offer that is available confirm contract details )
    6) you dont have to wait till end of your contract to cancel you can give notice AT ANY TIME although generally notice is 31 days:T
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Re: Monetineptitude's post. Sorry, but the clue IS in the OP's title.
    Ha Ha Ha :D
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    if you need to know more indepth workings of it PM me.
    Why would you invite personal messages rather than simply continue the discussion on the forum so that others might benefit?

Are you selling something?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Everyone has been very helpful - thanks! I called this morning, and it was very easy to process. I've always rated their customer service highly and this was no exception.

I'm very interested in the various options that have been mentioned (e.g. freesat), as I was unaware of them. (We've booked for a quote from a aerial company - circa £87 less 20% promotion). We're quite interested in recording and rewind a la Sky+ but initial searching indicates a box costing £400+ is required. I understand from this thread that our Sky+ box and card can be used for Freeview but not recording. That'll make a decent start.

I've got 31 days to review options and thanks again for all your suggestions.
  • Mylo_The_Moggy
    Mylo_The_Moggy Posts: 278 Forumite
    edited 11 August 2014 at 10:24AM
    Options
    Doubly make sure they have cancelled EVERYTHING on your package.
    And that includes the pause, rewind & record feature.
    We cancelled our multi-room subscription with Sky, yet we were still be charged an extra tenner a month, even though we were only recieving free channels through the box. When I rang to quiery this, I was told I was being charged for the rewind, pause & record. Even Sky couldn't fathom out why this was being charged as it was showing on my account that I'd cancelled the whole package & the pause, rewind & record didn't even work.
    They refunded me the few payments thankfully, admitting it was their fault.
    So just make sure you don't get any surprise payments after your cancellation period has expired!
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 3 April at 2:12PM
    Options
    [quote=[Deleted User];66233605]Everyone has been very helpful - thanks! I called this morning, and it was very easy to process. I've always rated their customer service highly and this was no exception.

I'm very interested in the various options that have been mentioned (e.g. freesat), as I was unaware of them. (We've booked for a quote from a aerial company - circa £87 less 20% promotion). We're quite interested in recording and rewind a la Sky+ but initial searching indicates a box costing £400+ is required. I understand from this thread that our Sky+ box and card can be used for Freeview but not recording. That'll make a decent start.

I've got 31 days to review options and thanks again for all your suggestions.[/QUOTE]

We cancelled sky and got a humax freestat box. No need for a new ariel or anything, just plugged the existing dish and ariel cables straight in. Now have rewind, pause, series link and TV on demand with no subscription charges. The box cost around £200 but they have come down in price

Our TV has free view built in so I think I have all bases covered
  • terra_ferma
    terra_ferma Posts: 5,484 Forumite
    Options
    Once you get rid of your cable/sky package the possibilities are endless.. :)

I ditched Virgin Media today (they were charging me a higher price than new customer, would have haggled if I wasn't fed up that we need the cable replaced and it's been impossible to get it done).

I've not gone for Freeview or Freesat for practical reasons (no external ariel/dish) and also because we've not watched live tv for a least 2 years, except sports (it was all mainly recorded programmes and a few catch-up/on demand).

So now we watch tv via our ps3, mainly netflix and bbci (we also have 4od, 5od, itv players and bbc sports).
    So our routine is to relax watching tv series on Netflix, watch very interesting programmes and documentaries on BBCi, the occasional film night with some indie/foreign movie from Netflix, and use our android tv box for he odd sport event (it's a pain to use, very fiddly to find anything on it...).

Now I'm considering trying freeview with an indoor aerial, it may not work but worth trying.
    If I didn't have a ps3 I would have bought a tv dongle/box, maybe two so that one would use unblock-us to watch USA netflix and free apps.

The possibilities are endless, so glad I got rid of the v+ box, I had never managed to record full series without a glitch, and browsing OD or catch up was a real pain.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    One last question, at the risk of boring everyone! We've settled on the idea of Freesat, as we already have a Sky dish and cabling. Our dish isn't very old (approx 3-4 years). We're also looking at a Humax HDR-1000S recorder @ £184, as it has double recording.

An aerial guy who did a quote told us that new dishes work best, as they are 'current technology'. My instincts were to raise my eyes to the ceiling.

Does anyone have experience of using a not-so old Sky dish? At £184 for the box, I reckon that'll beat the £400 quote we were given...
  • Sun-Is-Fun
    Sun-Is-Fun Posts: 243 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 3 April at 2:12PM
    Options
    [quote=[Deleted User];66261036]One last question, at the risk of boring everyone! We've settled on the idea of Freesat, as we already have a Sky dish and cabling. Our dish isn't very old (approx 3-4 years). We're also looking at a Humax HDR-1000S recorder @ £184, as it has double recording.

An aerial guy who did a quote told us that new dishes work best, as they are 'current technology'. My instincts were to raise my eyes to the ceiling.

Does anyone have experience of using a not-so old Sky dish? At £184 for the box, I reckon that'll beat the £400 quote we were given...[/QUOTE]

Your old dish will work fine - he's just trying to make a sale.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Agree. For proof - go and look at the signal info on your Sky box in the settings. If the bars for both inpots look good, and you don't get picture or sound break up except in the worst weather, you'll be absolutely grand.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure