Cancelling Sky and using Freeview

Options
Hi all

We don't watch a lot of TV these days, so Sky's packages make even less sense financially than when we used to watch less than 10% of the channels they offer.

I've read in the media (Telegraph earlier this year, plus other money-saving websites) that it can be extremely difficult to ditch Sky.

I plan to follow the letter of the law in terms of what they say I need to do, plus keep evidence of contact with them, and if necessary, cancel my direct debit after the 31 days so they can't take any more of our money than they're entitled to.

I'd welcome the wisdom of members' experiences and tips.

Thanks

Chris

Comments

• Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    They certainly try to retain subscribers by keeping them on the phone when they ring to cancel - but, if you stick to your guns and start the 31 days notice period, you will then only get offers of discounts to try to keep you.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • tracey3596
    tracey3596 Posts: 661 Forumite
    Options
    As said earlier, just stick to your guns.
    My contract finishes 21st August and cancellation - though a little lengthy - went okay, PLUS I got email AND written confirmation.
    I did my cancellation like this:

1 - cancel online. It will give you a 'phone # & tell you that they will 'phone. The probability is that they won't.
    2 - after a day or two, phone up - NOT the "cancellation #" they gave you; I don't think anyone ever answers that. Phone customer services & ask to transfer to Cancellations.
    3 - here you HAVE to be firm. They'll offer you all kinds of incentives SO - if you're sure you want to cancel - stick to your guns. They'll leave you on hold a while, to "process the request" or some-such.
    4 - finally, they will confirm cancellation; give you a "switch-off" date and tell you your last debit ammount and date. Oh, PLUS give you more "blurb" about cancelling and so on.

So it CAN be done.
    HTH
  • jessmist
    jessmist Posts: 701 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I just rang and said i wanted to cancel.
    The lady on the phone kept on telling me how good sky was but never offered me any discount.
    In the end she confirmed my 31 days notice gave me the date that the tv service would be switched off.
    A couple of days later i did receive a call offering me 20% off but i just confirmed i wanted to cancel.
    I received my final bill after the service was stopped.
    So it wasn't really a lot of hassle cancelling.
  • lammy82
    lammy82 Posts: 594 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    And finally, when you cancel, your Sky subscription card will become a 'Freesat from Sky' card, which means you can continue watching all the 'free' channels through your existing set-up.

If you have Sky+, you'll lose the ability to record, and you won't be able to play back existing recordings, either.

I just mention this because you refer to Freeview in your post, but almost all the Freeview channels plus a few extra ones will be available to you through the Sky box.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    lammy82 wrote: »
    you refer to Freeview in your post,
    No one mentions Freeview in this thread?
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I don't watch a lot of Tv but i have Freeview in the lounge and Freesat in the back kitchen. There are one or two channels that are different, if i had to choose i'd say the Freeview is better but there's not much in it.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • Cherokeebluesome
    Options
    Re: Monetineptitude's post. Sorry, but the clue IS in the OP's title.
  • ariba10
    ariba10 Posts: 5,432 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    There are more channels available on Freesat than there are on Freeview.

We have both, but have never had anything from Sky.
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
  • do_i_give_up
    do_i_give_up Posts: 25 Forumite
    edited 3 April at 2:12PM
    Options
    [quote=[Deleted User];discussion/5035461]Hi all

We don't watch a lot of TV these days, so Sky's packages make even less sense financially than when we used to watch less than 10% of the channels they offer.

I've read in the media (Telegraph earlier this year, plus other money-saving websites) that it can be extremely difficult to ditch Sky.

I plan to follow the letter of the law in terms of what they say I need to do, plus keep evidence of contact with them, and if necessary, cancel my direct debit after the 31 days so they can't take any more of our money than they're entitled to.

I'd welcome the wisdom of members' experiences and tips.

Thanks

Chris[/QUOTE]

As long as you are outside any contract with them they will try and ask you to stay (after all they are a business and alot of customer issues can be resolved) They may make a concessional offer (be aware some offers do have new contracts to them ) they may apply a 31 days notice to cancel but be aware also cancelling your direct debit will not cancel your sky subsription and if they are missed payments this can effect your credit rating if passed on to debt collection agencies. Also good to remember the people answering your call are only trying to do their job and not to take any prolonged questions or silences as anything personal. Be firm that you wish to leave but would come back if your circumstances changed eg you were to watch more also make sure that you dont use any of the services like pause rewind record even on the free to air channels and any programmes you do have recorded are watched as you will not get access to them after wards..

if you need to know more indepth workings of it PM me.
  • do_i_give_up
    Options
    SailorSam wrote: »
    I don't watch a lot of Tv but i have Freeview in the lounge and Freesat in the back kitchen. There are one or two channels that are different, if i had to choose i'd say the Freeview is better but there's not much in it.

there are numerous options freeview freesat freesat from sky (previous subscribers with valid viewing card) FTA (free to air) its really dependant on what you watch and want to see and how you used services in the past (eg recording facilities) its all about choice..... theres also alot online and smart TVs can give you access as long as you have a good internet connection and speed but onus is on you to find them and to make sure they are legal :cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure