🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

At what age did you stop getting asked for ID?

Options

Comments

• WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I am 34 years old and was ID'd in Morrisons when buying a bottle of wine yesterday. I was so shocked when he asked that I must have seemed rather rude when I almost shouted "NO!" at the cashier and laughed hysterically!
  • GobbledyGook
    GobbledyGook Posts: 2,195 Forumite
    Options
    I still get ID'd regularly. I'm 33. I hate it, I always have. When I was 19 I was refused buying alcohol in the supermarket even with ID because the cashier (and manager) were worried my ID was fake. The only local pub I didn't have a problem in was one run by my school friend's parents because they knew me.

Everyone always says 'Oh you'll be grateful for it one day' but I still don't like it. It is a pain, especially at work - very few people take you seriously when you look about 14 (which I did until I was about 20). The fact I'm only 5'2 doesn't help either!

Although as much as I hate it I understand it, especially in the supermarket. If someone turned out to be under 18 then the fine is huge (plus they'll lose their job), but I believe there are also test customers checking that people are checking under 25 and not under 18. In their shoes I'd rather ID a couple of obviously over age people than have anyone slip through the net and cost me my job.
  • Lily-Rose_3
    Lily-Rose_3 Posts: 2,732 Forumite
    Options
    People being asked for I.D. in their mid 30s??????? Seriously? ;)
    Proud to have lost over 3 stone (45 pounds,) in the past year! :j Now a size 14!

You're not singing anymore........ You're not singing any-more! :D
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lily-Rose wrote: »

Late 40's in my case. Seriously ;)
  • Lily-Rose_3
    Lily-Rose_3 Posts: 2,732 Forumite
    Options
    Late 40's in my case. Seriously ;)

:rotfl::rotfl: Never! The checkout operators must be on crack. No WAY would someone in their late 40s look under 18!!! :rotfl:
    Proud to have lost over 3 stone (45 pounds,) in the past year! :j Now a size 14!

You're not singing anymore........ You're not singing any-more! :D
  • GobbledyGook
    Options

I don't think it's that surprising when you think shop staff are ID'ing people who are/could be around 25. People don't change that much between 24 and 34 really. I doubt anyone thinks even I'm under 18 now, but I probably only look 26ish so close enough to 25 to make it understandable.

One of my biggest objections as a teen/early 20's was because my passport photo was horrific :rotfl:
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    :rotfl::rotfl: Never! The checkout operators must be on crack. No WAY would someone in their late 40s look under 18!!! :rotfl:

You are making erroneous assumptions.

The age limit for buying alcohol in that particular supermarket was 40. No joke! :p
  • Amara
    Amara Posts: 2,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've been asked for ID a month ago, I'm 37. That's nothing though: my late father-in-law was 77 , when he was asked, while buying a four pack of ale. He laughed at first, but it wasn't a joke.
  • GobbledyGook
    Options
    Amara wrote: »
    I've been asked for ID a month ago, I'm 37. That's nothing though: my late father-in-law was 77 , when he was asked, while buying a four pack of ale. He laughed at first, but it wasn't a joke.

There's a small shop near my cousin's house where anyone buying alcohol or cigarettes must have ID regardless of how obviously over 18 they are. They got caught out once before and the couple who run/own it say they simply can't afford the risk.
  • Buzzybee90
    Buzzybee90 Posts: 1,652 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options

Alexis Bledel is 33 but could still pass for 21!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport