MSE News: Plusnet to hike phone costs – but you can leave penalty-free if you're hit

in Phones & TV
34 replies 6K views

Replies

• edited 9 August 2014 at 3:59PM
    HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 9 August 2014 at 3:59PM
    Unfair possibly but fairly standard (BT does the same).
    Things you need to know

Line Rental Saver is payable in full, in advance
    1. Line Rental Saver provides 12 months standard phone line rental. Call plans, non-inclusive calls and call features will be billed each month
    2. In the event of a house move, Line Rental Saver can be transferred to the new phone line without penalty
    3. If you cancel Line Rental Saver within 14 days of your order you will get a full refund of your advance payment. If you cancel after this time, Line Rental Saver is non-refundable.
    To see the full terms for Line Rental Saver, please see our Terms and conditions
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • LRS is only worthwhile if you are intending to stay the 12-months. Its worth noting that the price increase wont affect you until you hit your 12-month maturity anyway, as your line rental has already been paid.
    My Goal: June 2015 - Drive something Sportier.
    Currently: 2012 Aygo on PCP
  • buglawtonbuglawton Forumite
    9.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    waqasahmed wrote: »
    Agree with you there. We had Plusnet at the flat I was in during my placement year, because VM werent going to do some digging to install cables

Virgin Media won't even connect to a new block of flats that's adjacent to a VM junction box. Nowadays a very shortsighted company.
  • Whilst Virgin Media may be "doing well" - its new owners will be unlikely to invest until they've got their money back and then some. It's also highly unlikely to do anything whilst it's got this on its financials...

Completed the refinancing of £2.1 billion of debt with lower interest rates and longer maturity*

* above taken from Virgin Media investor relations Q2 2014 report. Unfortunately as a new member of the forums I can't link you.

Making < £50m/Quarter in Turnover - it's going to take some time for them to pay this off, let alone investing in NEW infrastructure - they already pay enough in updating their existing one.
    My Goal: June 2015 - Drive something Sportier.
    Currently: 2012 Aygo on PCP
  • waqasahmedwaqasahmed Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Matt_2k34 wrote: »
    Whilst Virgin Media may be "doing well" - its new owners will be unlikely to invest until they've got their money back and then some. It's also highly unlikely to do anything whilst it's got this on its financials...

* above taken from Virgin Media investor relations Q2 2014 report. Unfortunately as a new member of the forums I can't link you.

Making < £50m/Quarter in Turnover - it's going to take some time for them to pay this off, let alone investing in NEW infrastructure - they already pay enough in updating their existing one.

Just google searched that. Do you mean this?

http://www.libertyglobal.com/pdf/press-release/Virgin-Media-Q2-2014-Selected-Operating-and-Financial-Results-FINAL.pdf
  • Was considering changing anyway. Got a 12 month deal with BT with cashback and sainsburys voucher it brings the cost right down. Will change again in 12 months,......
    Always on the hunt for a bargain.
  • callum9999callum9999 Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Roger1 wrote: »
    Pity that they only cover part of the country. I can't see them digging up the rest of the country to install cable.

We're excluded so Virgin is no-go territory for us.

And I HATE the Virgin Media ads featuring RB in a supposedly humorous capacity even though Liberty bought Virgin Media a few months ago and VM is theoretically a Branson-free area.

Rather a bizarre reason to "HATE" them! Though as Branson owns shares in the company it's not really a "Branson-free area", and he basically comes with the Virgin branding that Liberty pay for (no different to David Tenant or Usain Bolt featuring despite not owning the company).

Unless you just don't like Branson?
  • minislimminislim Forumite
    355 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    its getting rather annoying that line rental keeps on going up and up.

i cannot understand why? the infrastructure is already in place for standard lines. other than general maintenance what other costs are there?

its not going towards fibre lines as that's already being funded by the government.

i suspect its BT using their monopoly on the landline network (as its all BT for general landlines) and hiking their costs to fund their Sports channel.

what else could it be?

anyway i'll just wait and see what Plusnet can do for me come November. if they can't do a good deal i'll go else where
  • minislimminislim Forumite
    355 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I have been with Plusnet foe a few months. When I joined, I paid my 12-month line rental in one go to save some money.

Plusnet are telling me that if I cancel my contract due to their price increases, they won't refund me any of this 12-month payment. Is this correct cos it seems very unfair ?

Many thanks.

why would you want to leave now? you took out line rental saver to protect against line price rises for 12 months.

at the end of you 12 months then you should leave.
  • Did the line rental saver when I signed up to Plusnet, which expires in November. They'll be getting the "thinking of leaving" call from me unless they can come up with a better offer for my BB, as I don't intend to subsidise their introductory offers by paying full whack for my BB and landline.
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND DEALS