MSE News: Plusnet to hike phone costs – but you can leave penalty-free if you're hit

in Phones & TV
34 replies 6K views

Replies

• PincherPincher
    6.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    No e-mail yet. Usually get one second week every month about direct debit happening soon. I think my contract is up around November 2014

Assuming the EE deal with Amazon vouchers comes round again, probably do that. I already know what I want to buy with the vouchers. The problem is, the vouchers will probably take three months to turn up. So if I get the MAC in November, so the actual switch happens in December, I won't get the vouchers till March 2015.
  • waqasahmedwaqasahmed Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Roger1 wrote: »
    Pity that they only cover part of the country. I can't see them digging up the rest of the country to install cable.

We're excluded so Virgin is no-go territory for us.

And I HATE the Virgin Media ads featuring RB in a supposedly humorous capacity even though Liberty bought Virgin Media a few months ago and VM is theoretically a Branson-free area.

Agree with you there. We had Plusnet at the flat I was in during my placement year, because VM werent going to do some digging to install cables
  • ediedi Forumite
    39 Posts
    Spoke to someone in PlusNet only to be told that by cancelling / moving the phone line (which I can), I'd be charged £2 extra every month for the fibre broadband as a standalone product. Apparently this is in their T&C's. As I'm tied up for another 10 months into the broadband contract, have no option but to swallow my pride and pay the £1.50 extra every month.

Cheeky !!!!!!s.. they know how to play with T&C's (although hardly surprising as PlusNet is now owned by BT )
  • CaddymanCaddyman Forumite
    342 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    michaels wrote: »
    Anyone know why all the phone companies shave been increasing their prices like mad over the last few years - is it that the previous prices were loss leaders, have BT Openreach line provision charges gone up a lot or are they trying to be cleverer, rather than having low prices they are now playing lure people in with cashback/discounts and then charge them much more once the special has expired?

They'll be a number of reasons why the monthly line rental for instance has gone up. I suspect a lot of the reason is because of the roll out of fibre optic broadband, it has to be paid for somehow and so the laying of fibre optic to the street cabinets will undoubtedly cost a lot of money.

Also, there are now many, many people who are no longer exercising the option of even having a landline, so the amount of line rental being paid has probably fallen over the years. I gave up my landline because I can get decent internet speeds on mobile broadband dongle even at home. I have no interest in pay TV through internet, I have Freesat/Freeview and that is enough for me. What's more, not having a landline means I don't get fools 'phoning me all the time telling me my computer has a virus or I'm owed thousands in PPI. Clearly there are advantages for many maintaining a landline, but in this modern age, I personally don't require one.

Sadly, I forsee the £20 a month line rental scenario in just a few years. I won't be one of those paying for it!
  • jamesg123jamesg123 Forumite
    22 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Ok so a few people have told me to ditch my landline with these price rises and get mobile broadband however the maths simply don't add up. we use approx 10gb a month as a family (not massive, and not small I would say average). So here is the thing

Cheapest dongle via u switch comparison today

1gb £7.50pm
    3gb £15.00pm
    15gb £19.99pm

So i would need to spend £20 for mobile broadband with a 15gb cap or stick with my negotiated deal with talk talk for £141 (12 months upfront line rental equivalent £11.75 per month + £1.75pm for half price and here is the thing unlimited broadband. The stability and speed is better than mobile broadband and you also get a landline as an emergency thrown in. Ok these mobile deals may work if you are in short term accommodation or move about a lot but can someone tell me why it would be better to ditch a landline right now?

Most people can get deals on landline and broadband here is the latest one from money saving expert (This is actually plus net)

B'band and line rental, equiv £11.31/mth inc £50 cashback*
    If line rent's paid upfront. Pay monthly and it's equiv £14.27/mth

So don't ditch landline just yet..........
  • Peter999_2Peter999_2 Forumite
    778 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    edi wrote: »
    Spoke to someone in PlusNet only to be told that by cancelling / moving the phone line (which I can), I'd be charged £2 extra every month for the fibre broadband as a standalone product. Apparently this is in their T&C's. As I'm tied up for another 10 months into the broadband contract, have no option but to swallow my pride and pay the £1.50 extra every month.

Cheeky !!!!!!s.. they know how to play with T&C's (although hardly surprising as PlusNet is now owned by BT )

You can completely leave Plusnet, including the broadband with no penalty (you do not have to stay with the broadband).

See post 51 on the below official Plusnet forum confirming that you can leave both the phone and broadband without penalty :

http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,129255.48.html
  • waqasahmedwaqasahmed Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    jamesg123 wrote: »
    Ok so a few people have told me to ditch my landline with these price rises and get mobile broadband however the maths simply don't add up. we use approx 10gb a month as a family (not massive, and not small I would say average). So here is the thing

Cheapest dongle via u switch comparison today

1gb £7.50pm
    3gb £15.00pm
    15gb £19.99pm

So i would need to spend £20 for mobile broadband with a 15gb cap or stick with my negotiated deal with talk talk for £141 (12 months upfront line rental equivalent £11.75 per month + £1.75pm for half price and here is the thing unlimited broadband. The stability and speed is better than mobile broadband and you also get a landline as an emergency thrown in. Ok these mobile deals may work if you are in short term accommodation or move about a lot but can someone tell me why it would be better to ditch a landline right now?

Most people can get deals on landline and broadband here is the latest one from money saving expert (This is actually plus net)

B'band and line rental, equiv £11.31/mth inc £50 cashback*
    If line rent's paid upfront. Pay monthly and it's equiv £14.27/mth

So don't ditch landline just yet..........

OOR you do like me and get a VoIP phone - made a guide here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4940517&highlight=

Dont pay much at all
  • vouch0rvouch0r Forumite
    203 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    penalty free, does that include if you have BB also?
  • If the contract is for Phone & Broadband, it should be for both I'd of thought?

It's worth noting that the line rental increase still only really puts them in line with others? doesnt it? and if you can pay for the LRS its cheaper than BT and TalkTalks yearly line rental plan.

Sometimes you get what you pay for, I wouldn't swap my PN subscriptions for EE/TalkTalk/Sky or anyone lese. Sometimes its nice to have something that just works? :D
    My Goal: June 2015 - Drive something Sportier.
    Currently: 2012 Aygo on PCP
  • edited 9 August 2014 at 3:03PM
    stephenliverpool1stephenliverpool1
    1.3K Posts
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    edited 9 August 2014 at 3:03PM
    I have been with Plusnet foe a few months. When I joined, I paid my 12-month line rental in one go to save some money.

Plusnet are telling me that if I cancel my contract due to their price increases, they won't refund me any of this 12-month payment. Is this correct cos it seems very unfair ?

Many thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND GUIDES