MSE News: BT to refund customers after Fon wi-fi blunder

"If you received a higher than usual BT broadband bill in June or July, you may be due a refund this week"...
Read the full story:

BT to refund customers after Fon wi-fi blunder

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Since I had it installed my BT data transfers were going up and up and up ..... then I moved house and didn't have a service (they c0cked up the moving bit) ... and I had to use a dongle... and found that by doing the same stuff my data usage was 1/10th of when BT were measuring it. Something's not right with their systems....
  • "We're also manually correcting impacted customers' July usage data in the background, so no-one will receive an incorrect charge for this month because of this issue."

Plenty of other reasons to get an incorrect bill though!
    Thinking critically since 1996....
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 5 August 2014 at 7:31PM
    Being in a residential area probably helps. I don't get any usage issues at all. I expect you get inundated by mobile phones if you live on top of a KFC.
  • Iain_L
    Iain_L Posts: 151 Forumite
    Of course if BT say you weren't amongst the affected then you have to take their word for it. Their stance through Customer Service is always "If we say you have used it, you have" followed by "Of course you can always upgrade to unlimited".

If you look on the BT Community forum you'll see the tales of woe from so may people who have suffered from excessive usage figures.

Unfortunately BT have no method apparently of telling you how much you have used daily apart from the previous 7 days; ask about a time period before that they say "Our system doesn't have that information".

A law unto themselves, and we just get told to trust their information..........

Iain (a disgruntled customer getting billed for June, but BT say we must have used it)
  • I had this problem earlier on this year (Dec 13 -Jan 14), my broadband usage started going through the roof, it took ages for me to get BT to accept it was their problem and not mine.

I did get it fixed in the end though and my charges refunded.
    Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out to it.
  • GD46
    GD46 Posts: 4 Newbie
    Refund if overcharged isn't good enough. BT emailed me to warn me I was about to exceed my limit. So for several days I drastically cut down my usage. I also emailed BT to query my usage. Their response showed just how bad and incompetent their Customer Service operation is. Thankfully I'm nearly at the end of my contract and can change provider in 4 weeks.
  • MataNui
    MataNui Posts: 1,075 Forumite
    BT are and always have been a joke. The customer service is pathetic and the technical advise they give is plain wrong. I had fone disabled but had a job to do it. The moron on the other end of the line couldnt get the fact that if i have a low bandwidth (about 3 meg) then i cant really afford to be sharing that with some random user. He kept saying it doesnt use my bandwidth. Hang on, Its only one phone line, one internet connection, of course it uses my bl***y bandwidth.

The thing is they dont EVER make it clear that if you have a BT homehub then by default your internet connection is open and available to fone customers and there is nothing you can do to prevent it other than phoning BT and telling them to turn it off.
  • vofs007
    vofs007 Posts: 49 Forumite
    edited 6 August 2014 at 10:23PM
    Iain_L wrote: »

Unfortunately BT have no method apparently of telling you how much you have used daily apart from the previous 7 days; ask about a time period before that they say "Our system doesn't have that information".

This is not true. The latest version of the BT Online usage monitor gives the daily usage for the last 31 days.

It also gives the monthly usage for the last 12 months.
  • alf
    alf Posts: 116
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I had 2 mobiles and 1 tablet using the BT wifi app, after upgrading these devices I can no longer login on the new devices even though I have uninstalled the app on the old devices.
  • Iain_L
    Iain_L Posts: 151 Forumite
    edited 7 August 2014 at 2:48AM
    vofs007 wrote: »
    This is not true. The latest version of the BT Online usage monitor gives the daily usage for the last 31 days.

It also gives the monthly usage for the last 12 months.

Sorry, my post was correct already, would you like to see the transcript of my call with CS representatives from BT. The usage monitor tells you what they say you have used for that month - if you speak to customer service they can give you a daily breakdown for the previous 7 days, but say then that they don't have access to the figures from any time further back from that.

If yours shows daily usage for the month, and also monthly usage for the last 12 months you must have a different monitor to me. I have just accessed mine through My BT and it doesn't give the information that your apparently does

The fundamental problem is that you have to trust what the BT representative says, and as they are so keen on pushing Unlimited on everyone, I'm afraid my experience with their CS reps is that they are working for an organisation that cannot be trusted in this regard, as they evidently cannot supply evidence of what has been used.

Iain
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport