* Breaking The Habit.... Hopefully.

Comments

• Penguins86
    Penguins86 Posts: 373 Forumite
    Good luck with your goals Stewby it all sound a very positive :) I like the idea of the different pots for saving.
    NSDs January - 3/8 2017 total - 3
    declutter challenge 67/2017
    Goodreads Challenge 0/30
  • stewby
    stewby Posts: 1,206
    Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    I am glad it makes sense Habibiboo. It's the only way I can think of to save me falling into the trap of re-using the credit card.
    :undecided

To remain positive... once I have paid off the credit card in December, the plan is for that £400 to go into our wedding fund. So there won't be any spare money to use after the debt is gone.
    In 2018 though... woohoo!!
    ;)

This is why we need the pots. I have every faith in these pots providing me the necessary help next year. We are taking over the costs of the campervan next year so we need to save up the holiday pot for that. (MOT, insurance, tax and any repairs needed). We are grateful for it though as my parents are letting us have it for nothing (as long as they can use it a couple of times a year). We are thrilled as we love cmapervanning and hope to take it around europe eventually. I love future plans!!
    :D
    Mortgage: £0/£80,329.91
    Savings: £0/£6400
    :love:
  • Good luck! I love your clear goals! I'll be following your diary!
    Overdraft #1 £1300; Overdraft #2 £400; CC#1 £7258; CC#2 £978; CC#3 £812; CC#4 £330; Car Finance £6000;

Total Debt August 2014 £17,078
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,649
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Go stewby! Good luck with it all!
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • stewby
    Forumite
    edited 4 August 2014 at 7:00PM
    Hi losingmydebt and apple muncher. Thanks for the lovely words and thoughts.

I am feeling a lot more confident this time around and have decided to banish the negativity from my diary.
    Unless the world ends, I am still doing rather well and should be grateful for what I do have... a beautiful house, a lovely OH and a loving family.
    Reading through some of the other diaries on here, some people don't have that and it makes me feel quite selfish.

Wedding plans have stalled a bit... not in a bad way. There is just not much more I need to plan four years in advance.
    My dad paid £3000 + the wedding dress towards my brother's wedding and he is doing the same for us. That covers the venue hire for the whole weekend. The dress is being made for me (but shouldn't be expensive as I don't like the whole diamonte, glittery, sparkly stuff and it will be very plain with a lace-up back featuring a tartan ribbon).

I am still trying to get the invitation design I want so if anyone is any good in the artistic department then give me a shout... am wanting a photo transferred into a charcoal "painting" I guess you would call it.

Still planning holidays and trips away... Current fascination is with Europe. Would love to spend two weeks going round each section of France, Germany, Italy, Spain, etc in the bongo. There are people on another forum that I go on who are doing this just now and it sounds amazing. Reading a lot of books on travelling as well.
    Some day... when we are debt free and settled with steady incomes then we will do that too. Although not sure I am good enough with the english language to do a blog.
    :p

Had to giggle... OH had seen a picture of a castle and commented on it as we were driving up north. Complete facepalm moment as I was going to take him to that area to see that particular castle but had decided to go north instead.
    :rotfl:

Going to take him there next time instead. At least I know he will be happy with that destination as well.
    Am cursing him for one thing though. His parents are recently leaving a town close to london to head to the coast for their retirement. The whole time they have been living in the town, he had no inclination to visit London (despite me wanting to) and now they are moving... he has decided he wants to go to London for a weekend. Godamit!!
    :doh:

Still, can't complain as at least it gives me something else to plan. I would love a trip to london. I want to do all the cheesy touristy stuff. I just love being a tourist. It makes me feel so free when no-one around me knows who I am or what I am doing. It's amazing.

I know I splurged on the credit card in July so I am waiting until the 12th when the new statement comes in to see how bad it is.
    No matter how bad it is... I am determined to get rid of it by December 12th. There is no ifs, buts or maybes... I want to save for the wedding and honeymoon but am determined to get rid of the debt first.
    We want to stay in some awesome hotels in America but will only do so if we have the savings. Sorry Mr CreditCardMan but I am not going into debt any more.
    :grin:

Anyways... hope everyone is doing well.
    Hugs to you all.
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,649
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I love 'doing' London with dd. We get to Westminster and cross the river, walk along past the eye to a big wooden playground (spotted when we took dd on the Eye 2 yrs ago!), have an ice cream whatever the weather, go on the carousel, cross back over the river and walk up to Trafalgar Square. We usually have lunch here (couple of coffees for us, smoothie for dd + out come our packed lunches!) then make a couple of wishes in the fountains, head down the Mall and swerve into St James' park - for another ice cream if possible - down to Buckingham Palace. Then along the main road (boo hiss) to Victoria, and home.

Apart from the travel, we have been known to do the whole day for under a tenner!

I understand what you mean about having plenty and appreciating it. I've been trying to sell some books online, and the site isn't playing nicely. So I'm not going to keep on with it - I'll give them to the Sally Army as they can benefit from them more than me, and will get much more money in their coffers than the site was offering me.

I love hearing about your travel plans - although talking of the bongo just made me think of deepest darkest Africa!
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • stewby
    Forumite
    I would love to do all the silly stuff. I want to go and dip my feet in the fountain outside Buckingham Palace (I know that sounds stupid). I think it was for William's wedding, I saw about ten people standing in the fountain and everyone else was just everywhere. It made me want to go there to stand in the fountain. Did I mention that I am a bit daft??

I love the idea of going into Buckingham Palace for the tour thing... and the Tower of London. We went to Harrods once before (which was amazing, Oh's sister worked there at the time so treated us to lunch) and we went on the London Eye too. I would love to do the whole touristy thing in full.
    It does scare me as it always seems so expensive but it sounds like there is stuff to do that is cheap or worth the cost. We went to London Zoo once and I would love to do that again. I love animals.
    :o

I will have to bear your post in mind. It sounds like you saw a lot and yet paid for very little (I mean that in a good way)... besides, walking so much would be healthy.
    :p

I might wait until I have lost a wee bit of weight first so we can get a nice picture of us in london somewhere... maybe outside Buckingham Palace or something. Could pretend that it is our hotel.
    ;)

Went to a wedding at the weekend (complete opposite to what I want, it was big and OTT but nice I guess). It was absolutely roasting and the pictures of me look awful. Wet, limp hair and bright red nose and cheeks with sweat all over the place.
    Absolutely hated the pictures... but it made me want to change my ways. I need to make myself look better, it won't just happen by itself. I do need to do something. Went in to my parent's house to find they had put it on display!!
    :eek:

Considering paying off the n3xt account tonight as I never use it anymore and they are making money off me and keep sending me books that I don't look at.

Would mean adding it to the credit card initially before paying it off which I am a bit reluctant to do. However, would get rid of a debt and get rid of a temptation which is surely a good thing.
    :)

See.... positivity already. Going to lose weight to get a nicer picture and going to get rid of the n3xt account.
    Might even be flowers on this green green grass of mine.
    :j

P.S: probably mint rather than flowers seeing as OH's herb pot has gone wild with the good weather.
  • stewby
    Forumite
    Oh... forgot...

The bongo is a completely adorable campervan.

Don't know if this will work but this is a link to one of my photo albums for the bongo (it's the basic one with pics inside and out) -

http://s1284.photobucket.com/user/stewby8/library/bongo%20pics

It is one of my most favourite things in the world (obviously people and animals aren't things). It is just so brilliant for camping in.
  • stewby
    Forumite
    So... n3xt has been paid off!!
    I have possibly overpaid them but if I have then it will only be by £30 and I will get that money back (will get vouchers to use as xmas pressies if nothing else).
    But it is gone!!

That just leaves the loan which I am leaving to run its course.
    The loan took all the interest first then started paying off the actual money borrowed so paying it off early will achieve no financial reward (it only has about two years to go, might even only be a year). I really haven't gotten to grips with all my finances... but I am learning.

And of course... the credit card which will soon be gone too.

Watch out Mr CreditCard Man... I will be sending you a "good riddance" payment by the end of the year.
  • stewby
    Forumite
    Well... I had overpaid n3xt.
    :doh:

However, I used it to buy some xmas pressies for my nephew. My mum is taking some off my hands to give him as well. So I am getting £20 off her which will pay off the n3xt account in September.

Have spent a small fortune today but will get partially refunded for it. The poppies from the display at the Tower of London are for sale and some of the money goes to forces charities. So I have bought one for OH's grandad's xmas, one for my dad's xmas and one for us. It's a piece of history and will be a nice gesture for them. Grandad still does a lot with the navy and my dad is still very much a RAF man despite having left over ten years ago.
    :)

So xmas pot is slowly decreasing but only because we are buying presents as we see them. It is all going rather well.

However, I am still wanting a trip to London and I would now like to go at the end of October so that I can see the poppies outside the Tower of London. It sounds amazing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business