We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

School Uniform - First time tips

Options
13»

Comments

• building_with_lego
    building_with_lego Posts: 2,606 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 31 July 2014 at 8:10PM
    Options
    They came in packs of 2, hence 2 sets (£5 for all 4 items). No idea how often they do PE, and I don't do washing every day so didn't want smelly kit hanging around.

Fair enough, though it's a bit of a bummer!
    Make-it-3 wrote: »
    What are daps?

Daps are those little black sports shoes children wear for PE. Some peope call them pumps, other people plimpsolls (me!) and down here they call them daps. And now I do, having assimilated somewhat in a decade...

(When I studied linguistics we were asked what we call those little black PE shoes, and also what we would call a small, round portion of bread (roll, bap, bun, cob etc.) There are lots of regional differences in both- barmcake anyone?!)
    They call me Dr Worm... I'm interested in things; I'm not a real doctor but I am a real worm. :grin:
  • saidan
    saidan Posts: 308 Forumite
    Options
    We've no choice................ :huh:

school uniform is not compulsary for primary school children.

its up to you what you put them in, despite what the school say.

i usually buy at mr T, and embroider at the local shop for abot 1/3 of the price of a school shop sweater ;)
    Proud mum :T

• flea72
    flea72 Posts: 5,392 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    saidan wrote: »

i usually buy at mr T, and embroider at the local shop for abot 1/3 of the price of a school shop sweater ;)

Is your school logo not copyrighted then? Or does the shop you get it embroidered at hold the templates? Our school uses tesco embroidery service, so its not expensive anyway
  • notanewuser
    notanewuser Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    Options
    saidan wrote: »

The welsh Government actively encourages them, though. ;)

http://wales.gov.uk/docs/dcells/publications/110803schooluniformen.pdf

Besides, I've raised enough other issues with the school already and she hasn't even started yet!
    Trying to be a man is a waste of a woman
  • onlyroz
    onlyroz Posts: 17,661 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    It is true that they can't make uniform compulsory for primary children. I'd say that a compromise would be to send them in a sweatshirt that is broadly the right colour but doesn't have the logo. E.g. our school has bottle-green sweatshirts. From the uniform shop they cost £9.50 with a logo but from Tesco a plain one costs £3.

We got sent a letter at the end of term saying that next year they would have a policy of ensuring that all children were dressed smartly every day. Surely, if they wanted this then they wouldn't have a white polo-shirt in the uniform? Even the most diligent launderer would have trouble ensuring that a white polo-shirt remains white for the entire year, especially when you have a 5-year-old who seems to spend all day rolling around in dirt.
  • Make-it-3
    Make-it-3 Posts: 1,661 Forumite
    Options
    We had our home visit yesterday (where one of the teachers comes to meet us, so my DD knows her on the first day) and when talking about uniform she actively discouraged us from buying the school logo stuff. Said it is expensive and doesn't wear well.

We are recommended to buy cheap, easily machine washable gear as messy play is positively encouraged!
    We Made-it-3 on 28/01/11 with birth of our gorgeous DD.
  • savingmummy
    savingmummy Posts: 2,915 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Nursery age mine had old clothing/shoes to wear.

School wear I buy from Tesco in August, and its still going strong albeit a bit on the small side the following July when they break up for summer!
    DebtFree FEB 2010!
    Slight blip in 2013 - Debtfree Aug 2014 :j

Savings £132/£1000.
  • gayleygoo
    gayleygoo Posts: 816 Forumite
    Options
    My DS was in preschool last year and had a "uniform". I bought one embroidered jumper and the rest was from Dunnes/ other high street shop. The teachers seemed to want the children to wear "full school uniform" when they went on trips, had their photos taken by the newspaper or school photographer, or if they had an "important" guest coming. I took this to mean logo jumper, but a plain red jumper would suffice. The rest of the time, uniform was not compulsory as long as they wore roomy trousers/shorts, t-shirt and had a jumper.

I got 2 plain red jumpers (the logo-ed jumper was red), 4 polo shirts and 4 pairs of jogging bottoms. Lots of pants and socks! Winter hat, scarf, mittens - the teachers normally ask for them when it starts getting cold. The preschool had a used uniform sale early in the year to raise funds - find out if yours does this too? I bought extras out of that, and had a spare change in a bag.

I was thrilled last week when, for the first year, I found green cardigans in a supermarket! Now it's £5 for a cardigan rather than £18.99. That said, I do wonder about the ethics of cheap school clothing- I wish some fair-trade clothing companies would make bottle-green uniforms!

We call the black P.E. shoes "gutties", although that tends to apply to trainers as well :)

One Love, One Life, Let's Get Together and Be Alright :)

April GC 13.20/£300
    April
    NSDs 0/10
    CC's £255
  • dizziblonde
    dizziblonde Posts: 4,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I bought out the stock of cheap gloves and hats from the Matalan clearance near my mum at the end of last winter - because I know the odds of getting a complete pair of gloves home are slim to none.

I've over-bought for pre-school because I know it's going to be a pain to find red polo shirts in the middle of the academic year so I'll name 'em all now and squirrel some away to restock when growth spurts or the middle of the year hits. If they had them in white polos I wouldn't have bothered as much.

BTW when I taught I always defined asking the kids to come in looking smart as "wear your least yoghurt stained jumper" - nothing more than that.
    Little miracle born April 2012, 33 weeks gestation and a little toughie!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure