Banishing the black cloud

in Debt Free Diaries
219 replies 14.9K views

Replies

• maggieconmaggiecon Forumite
    408 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭
    What a weekend, I am back to work and totally wrecked. C had 6 friends round for a sleepover on Friday night, then a full house for her party on Saturday. I then went to a BBQ on sat night, so yesterday was spent catching up on housework and trying to get kids ready to start back to school this morning.

We had planned to go away for the day yesterday but B's old school took £100 from my bank account for his fees. I was so mad, so now I have to ring them and tell them he is not going back and try to get my money refunded.

I had so much expenditure at the weekend, and I only have £25 left to the end of the week and still haven't done the groceries. Thankfully I have some meals in the freezer to cover the next few nights dinners. Hubby only give me £160 of his wages this week as he gave his sister £50 for a birthday present. I swear he would drive you mad. Money has no value to him and he is way too generous.

I also need to do an end of month review of my debt. which will probably look similar to the start of the month LOL.

Current status on savings £110 my savings, £370 emergency fund.
    408 Posts
    ✭✭
    American Express £1,550.00 / £0 BT to Lloyds
    Lloyds £1631
    HMRC £930.00 /£830
    Solicitor (house purchase) £430.00
    Council Tax £1,750.00
    Next £80.00 /£0
    Argos £210.00
    Insurance Excess £100 / £0
    Credit Union loan £450.00 /£430
    Credit Card husband £100.00 / £0
    Overdraft £700
    Loan £1000
    TOTAL £7300/£6980 (4.4% paid off)

Not a big pile of movement but I have been concentrating on building up an emergency fund and also I have been slowly putting the money towards the council tax away. I currently have £990 saved for it but don't want to count it until I actually pay the bill. So there should be a better outlook by then end of this month... I hope.
  • Hi, just wanted to say 'Hello' and tell you I have enjoyed reading your diary so far. Well Done on all your budgeting! I also have a very active, sporty family. My 2 teenage boys never stop eating & now have a thing about protein so bug me constantly for chicken. We have been eating chicken it seems every day for the last 3 months! It's not cheap either! I always joke and say if we didn't have to eat and could just pop a pill, I would be rich!

Best of luck and I will continue to follow you :)
    408 Posts
    ✭✭
    Hi, just wanted to say 'Hello' and tell you I have enjoyed reading your diary so far. Well Done on all your budgeting! I also have a very active, sporty family. My 2 teenage boys never stop eating & now have a thing about protein so bug me constantly for chicken. We have been eating chicken it seems every day for the last 3 months! It's not cheap either! I always joke and say if we didn't have to eat and could just pop a pill, I would be rich!

Best of luck and I will continue to follow you :)

Thanks penny saving. I have started to buy whole chickens and cook them in the slow cooker. Medium size chicken is £3 in tesco put it in sc at lunch time today, and have enough chicken to do sandwiches for the week. Just the little bit of extra work can save so much money. I also am gonna try making a stock with the carcass to see if I can get a nice soup from it as well.
    408 Posts
    ✭✭
    I still have my £25 left to get me to Thursday. So a bit of inventive meal planning required. Last night we had a freezer meal which was just okay, so I fancy something a bit more scrummy tonight. I think I will try some bacon, spinach and ricotta pasta, so I need to buy spinach and ricotta. I will do a potato and chicken layer tomorrow night using up the cooked chicken and spuds in the cupboard. I also put the leftover chicken carcass in the slow cooker last night so will try to make a soup with that too. Then all I need is some cereal, bread, milk and cheese and I should make it to Thursday without exceeding my £175 limit. Unfortunately there will be no leftovers this week for my little savings pot :( But on the plus side I didn't overspend.

B started his new school yesterday and when I asked him how it was he said " the food in the canteen isn't nice" But on a serious note I am really worried about him, he said he spent all day in a group with four girls who couldn't find England on a map and didn't know how to do Sudoku. I really think I am going to have to pay for private tutoring. We are going to sit down and agree a homework timetable so at least if he does 1 hour every night he might have a chance of getting his A-levels. The tutoring is £25 per hour, so if I save up for 8 weeks I need £200. Need to have a serious think about it.
    408 Posts
    ✭✭
    I made it to the end of the week, without going over my £175 target. I had planned to make a chicken and potato layer last night, but when I took the potatoes out of the cupboard they were mush!! I only bought them on Sunday. Anyhow decided to make soup instead which turned out to be a tasteless mess. So went to bed hungry. I would love to know the secret to good soup, I can never make mine tasty.

Big Cup final tomorrow night so need to start eating well. I had a poached egg for breakfast this morning but my stomach is turning cartwheels now. Its not used to a good feed that early in the morning.

Hubby working over time at the minute, he was sleeping at 8 o'clock last night on the sofa. He is working 7am to 6pm at the minute and then goes straight to running club from work and runs about 8 to 10 miles... and he wonders why he is so tired all the time.

I am really tired all the time at the minute too, I was in bed at 9.30 this last couple of nights which is not like me. maybe we just all go through wee phases of being tired. I have 7 days annual leave left to take before Christmas and I would love to head away to a spa hotel some time but they are so expensive. I am constantly checking for deals on websites... I can only dream.

I decided to keep the curtains I ordered from Next and then purchased another matching pair as there is two windows in my bedroom. So after clearing my Next debt it is back up to £140.

Current financial situation - No money transferred to my little pot this week so it is still sitting at £110 and I had to take money out of the emergency fund to cover some expenses that I hadn't expected it now has £225. However my leftovers from the utilities budget is sitting at a healthy £70. So a total of £395.
    408 Posts
    ✭✭
    I have always completed my own self assessment forms but things kind of got on top of me this year and I asked a friend who is a chartered accountant how much it would cost for him to do it for me. He said £200 but for me he would do it £175. Anyhow long story short bill arrives in post today for £384!!!!

I am completely livid, I am trying to hold off sending him an email until Monday until I calm down. This has just wiped out all my debt busting for August. I am gutted. The most annoying thing is I had done all the ground work and had sent him everything on a spreadsheet, there was actually very little that needed done.

Hubby gets his SA done every year for £150 by another friend. It doesn't make sense.
  • NintudNintud Forumite
    191 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    The accountant doesn't sound like much of a 'friend'. Has he billed you himself or has the company he works for produced the bill so you've lost out on the 'mates rates' agreed?

I think I'd be livid too.
    MBNA 120/17120.
    Santander 250/9000
    - - - -
    What matters is how we live and love and how we spend our dash. (L Ellis)
    408 Posts
    ✭✭
    Nintud wrote: »
    The accountant doesn't sound like much of a 'friend'. Has he billed you himself or has the company he works for produced the bill so you've lost out on the 'mates rates' agreed?

I think I'd be livid too.

Gonna drop him an email on Monday and see what's going on.

Played my final last night and I'm totally wrecked today, feel like I have done 10 rounds with Mike Tyson, and we were beat :(

Just checked with bro and tenant nr 2 has back dated the rent he owes so just got 8 weeks rent - £560. Total saved now is £1550 only £200 more to go to hit my target for the council tax bill. Feeling positive:)

Just got word that B got his remark for his GCSE and it has been moved up to an A. :T
  • NintudNintud Forumite
    191 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Fantastic news on the remark :j
    MBNA 120/17120.
    Santander 250/9000
    - - - -
    What matters is how we live and love and how we spend our dash. (L Ellis)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides