Banishing the black cloud

in Debt Free Diaries
219 replies 14.9K views

Replies

• maggieconmaggiecon Forumite
    408 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭
    Got home form work yesterday to find OH sitting on sofa with the heater on drinking a tin of beer, I went to training and came home at 7.30pm to find him still sitting in the same position with another 4 empty tins in the bin. No dinner made or anything. I started to cook dinner for me and the kids and next thing he arrives into the kitchen, when we sit down to eat asking where his is. I have never been so cross. Then he eats his dinner, leaves plates lying on sideboard and heads back to watch football in the living room. So I have decided the dinner plates will sit on my sideboard until OH decides that he can be bothered to wash them as I am not going to be his maid!!! Oh and when I get at him about it, he said he worked hard all day and DD spent all day lying around the house too. It's like I am the only adult in the house!! I am now officially on strike LOL

Now to get back to my budget after that little rant... I have so far spent £107.21/£175 weekly budget. I have managed to reduce grocery bill further it went from £90 last week to £71 this week.

So reviewing my groceries there are a few things that are putting our costs up, these include sandwich fillings particularly ham, which is about £4 -£5 per family size packet. I wont buy that reformed stuff, I don't know what's in it. The next big item is yogurts, OH and B love those muller corners and rices the best I can get is 10 for £4 in ASDA but that lasts them about 3/4 days. so these two items equate to nearly £10 per week alone. Everything else I am more or less happy with. I buy all Asda own brand where possible and I find it tastes just the same and sometimes better. We buy Asda Coffee, peanut butter, jam, tea-bags, bread, cereal, frozen veg, tinned beans and other veg etc. I have also started to batch cook, but no matter how much I make there never seems to be any extra as my family are just a bunch of eating machines. :rotfl:

Meals planned for the rest of the week

Tues :- Sausage and Bean Casserole with potatoes
    Wed:- Chicken and potato layer ( I will try making an extra one for freezing)
    Thurs:- Egg Fried Rice
    Fri:- Pitta Pizzas with pepperoni and basil
    Sat :- C's Birthday will need to find out how many I am feeding!!
    Sun:- Going out for dinner :j
    Mon :- Meatballs and Spaghetti (from freezer)
    Tues:- Chicken and Potato Layer (from Freezer)

Just looking at this list above, we are definitely not eating enough veg so must try harder next week to improve this.
  • NintudNintud Forumite
    191 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Muller corners are the bane of my life too! My tribe easily go through a pack of 6 per day. I've started buying Aldi equivalents (in the hope they won't like them as much!) but ds1 ate 3 yesterday and we're down to just fromage frais so complaints are coming in! Sometimes I think it would be cheaper to stock the cupboards with biscuits and cereal and be done with healthy eating!!

As it is, yogurts are the closest thing to 'treats' in my house so they get devoured first.
    MBNA 120/17120.
    Santander 250/9000
    - - - -
    What matters is how we live and love and how we spend our dash. (L Ellis)
    408 Posts
    ✭✭
    Nintud wrote: »
    Muller corners are the bane of my life too! My tribe easily go through a pack of 6 per day. I've started buying Aldi equivalents (in the hope they won't like them as much!) but ds1 ate 3 yesterday and we're down to just fromage frais so complaints are coming in! Sometimes I think it would be cheaper to stock the cupboards with biscuits and cereal and be done with healthy eating!!

As it is, yogurts are the closest thing to 'treats' in my house so they get devoured first.

Well its good to see I am not the only one with this problem. I have started buying the large tubs of plain yogurt for myself and then bulking it out with grapes and granola. A large tub of good quality yogurt is about £1.50 and lasts me all week. We don't have Aldi in N. Ireland and I don't think Lidl is any cheaper than Asda.

I found this great website, and I am thinking of making some Roast beef in the slow Cooker and making a pile of these sarnies. B and C can throw them in the oven when they get home from school, and it should keep them going until I get home and cook dinner. I reckon a good size joint should make about 30/40

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2013/03/hot-roast-beef-sandwiches/
  • NintudNintud Forumite
    191 Posts
    Those sandwiches sound gorgeous. Daren't count the SW syns though!!
    MBNA 120/17120.
    Santander 250/9000
    - - - -
    408 Posts
    ✭✭
    So I have made it to the end of the second week of my budget. I have spent £107.21 / £175 which leaves me with £67.79. and I still have the £55 from last week. It is such hard work to save this money for my "having a life" pot that I cant bring myself to spend it. This was not meant to happen, this was supposed to be my guilt free pot.

Rental income is still sitting at £820. Tenant nr 2 hasn't paid rent in about 6/7 weeks. My brother said he will have a word with him and see what is going on, I cant face having to evict him, its just not a nice thing to do. Anyhow hopefully it will be sorted soon. but I am still £930 short for my council tax bill due at the end of September :eek: At least when it is paid it is a huge chunk out of my current debt figure, about 23%.

B bought all his back to school pens and books yesterday with his wages bless him, sometimes I feel guilty that he is spending his money on things like this, but then I think he needs to learn the value of money. I am taking him today to sort out his school uniform, school bag and shoes. I have budgeted £170, I hope this will cover it.
    408 Posts
    ✭✭
    Well big spends are all sorted, C's uniform cost me nothing :j :j I got her to try on her "big" blazer it actually isn't too bad, it's maybe a bit big but the next size down would probably be too small. When she goes into fourth year next year there is a new style of blazer so I have told her I am not buying a new one for one year. She seemed happy enough with that. She also didn't wear her skirt that I bought her last year as she said it was too big and continued to wear her old skirt from first year. So no skirt needed either. Woo hoo.

B got his uniform yesterday £102, my mum offered to buy his shoes and school bag another result. She bought him cheap type shoes from sports direct, but hopefully they will last to Christmas and I can get him a good pair then. He is happy with them and that's the main thing.

I got B and C a card each and put a £100 into them for presents so they can spend themselves. I am going to take them shopping on Sunday to Belfast and let them loose. I only have to buy food for the party on Saturday, C has five friends sleeping over Friday night and then a few more coming on Saturday. We have done a shopping list so I am hoping I can feed them all for £25. I had originally budgeted £50 but I think I can better that. I also will attempt to make the birthday cake myself.... maybe.

I have only spent £300 from my emergency fund and £10 from my weekly budget to cover the above. I will buy the birthday party stuff from the weekly budget money too, which should motivate me to keep it affordable. I now have £225 left in the emergency fund and £110 in my having a life fund.
  • NintudNintud Forumite
    191 Posts
    Result on the uniform :)

I had to buy ds2 new trousers in June as he had a sudden growth spurt and he's already dipped into the new shirts I bought at the same time. I've spent so much time focused on ds4 going into reception that I've forgotten to check ds2's blazer and as he's at his Dad's until Tuesday he'll have to spend his first day of year 11 in Last years shoes too. Oops, dd2 finishing school has completely thrown me as I'd usually take them shoe shopping together! Fingers crossed I can get through his final year without a new blazer.

What are the plans for your 'having a life' fund?
    MBNA 120/17120.
    Santander 250/9000
    - - - -
    408 Posts
    ✭✭
    Nintud I don't know what to do with the money, I think I will let it build up for a while and then go shopping. Any time I go shopping I am always feeling guilty because I think I cant afford anything and therefore end up coming home empty handed, but with my new budget this hopefully wont happen.

I also want to do up my bedroom, we moved home a couple of months ago and I knocked the wall down between the two box rooms to make one good size room for myself, hence there is no carpet on the floors, no door, no curtains and I am using two of those nasty looking hanging rails for my clothes, its in dire need of a spruce up.
    408 Posts
    ✭✭
    Well got nominated for that bloody ice bucket challenge last night by my sister in law. Hubby was even ringing me to work today to remind that I have to do it!! Well I know who I am nominating LOL.

My brother rang me today to say that the tenant who hasn't paid is dropping in the money next Friday, If he does then I will definitely make the £1750 mark by end of September for the council tax. Current amount saved is £990.

I ordered curtains from Next and they look gorgeous in my bedroom, but not sure if I can bring myself to keep them. I just cleared my last debt with Next and don't want to start a new one. Hubby is adamant we are keeping them as we haven't had a decent nights sleep since moving into the house as our bedroom windows face East and we are blinded every morning when the sun comes up. I will have to think about it over the weekend.
  • NintudNintud Forumite
    191 Posts
    That bedroom sounds anything but an oasis of tranquility!

I find I sleep a lot better if my bedroom is nice so I think doing up your bedroom the way you want it will be a fantastic use of your 'having a life fund'.

I last decorated my bedroom 9 years ago (I hadn't realised it was that long ago!) and have it on my list of things to do during the course of 2015.
    MBNA 120/17120.
    Santander 250/9000
    - - - -
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides