🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Assets seized without my consent

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Partner-in-debt
    Options
    How did you accumulate 100k of furniture?

Well there are a few high value items, but also an entire house and outbuildings contents including electrical items, furniture and other fixtures and fittings.
  • MothballsWallet
    MothballsWallet Posts: 15,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Emphasis is mine.
    Thanks to everyone who gave their advice on this situation. Having now checked the paperwork that my ex has in her possession, it seems that whilst she signed the inventory of items stored, she never actually signed the contract with the terms and conditions. My lawyer is now saying that since there is no contract and the goods are mine and not my ex's, the storage firm had no legal basis for asset disposal as they could not be certain of ownership. Having spoken to the storage firm again, their story seems to be changing. They have now apparently 'retrieved a lot of my items from the auction house'. Which seems very strange since they had told me previously that everything was sold. Any advice on next steps?
    Okay, now I'm confused / puzzled by the highlighted bit.

How did the storage company go ahead with fulfilling their end of the contract if your ex didn't fulfill her end and sign the papers related to it?

Are you sure this is the actual contract and not a copy they gave her for her records as (sometimes in my experience), even though you should sign your copy, you're not normally forced to?

I've only hired a storage unit once in my life (so far), but if memory serves, the company I used wouldn't actually give me a unit until I'd signed a contract with them - I either then had to sign the second copy as well, or they made a photocopy of the signed one.
  • Takeaway_Addict
    Options
    How did you accumulate 100k of furniture?
    That matters why?
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,774 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Emphasis is mine.

How did the storage company go ahead with fulfilling their end of the contract if your ex didn't fulfill her end and sign the papers related to it?

Are you sure this is the actual contract and not a copy they gave her for her records as (sometimes in my experience), even though you should sign your copy, you're not normally forced to?

I thought that too and another poster asked that question.
    The OP said:
    I have the original contract in triplicate, it was NOT signed.

It sounds very strange to me, especially as the OP says the storage company have recovered some of the items they said had been sold.
  • MothballsWallet
    MothballsWallet Posts: 15,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    It sounds very strange to me, especially as the OP says the storage company have recovered some of the items they said had been sold.
    This is getting more and more like a Gordian knot.

And very confusing :)
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,774 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    This is getting more and more like a Gordian knot.

And very confusing :)

Yep.
    Very 'smoke and mirrors'. ;)
  • Partner-in-debt
    Options
    Emphasis is mine.

I've only hired a storage unit once in my life (so far), but if memory serves, the company I used wouldn't actually give me a unit until I'd signed a contract with them - I either then had to sign the second copy as well, or they made a photocopy of the signed one.

I am also surprised that the storage firm didn't insist on a signed contract, however it does seem to be the case that there is now no formal contract. That said, they are in possession of at least a proportion of my furniture so I am waiting for them to respond to my request for proof that there is any valid contract and for a full list of which items remain and which were sold (and at what price). So far they have been unable to deliver on this.
  • steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    That matters why?
    The first reason is that I was just curious. Its an awfully high amount.

The second reason is that kind of value takes the whole thing out of 'small claims' territory. This means that if the op decides to take things legal he would be able to recover his legal fees from the ex or the storage company if successful (but would be on the hook for their legal fees if he loses).

I hope the op can get something back here.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport