We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Front garden finally finished - only took 9 1/2 years!

Options

Comments

• jodles16
    jodles16 Posts: 1,477 Forumite
    Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Your colour combinations are beautiful! Garden looks great!

Joules :j
    MFW2020 #115 250/3000 J-250
    1% challenge- /1525
    Save 1k in 2020- /3000

Joining in UberFrugalMonthChallenge set up by the Frugalwoods!
  • In_Debt_Bet
    Options
    Some lovely pictures here, our garden is definitely a work in progress. This is how it looked when we moved in

lhttp://imagejpg9.jpg

This is how it looks today, there are large roots that need removing, the fence needs replacing, the lawn needs re-turfing and that's just the start of it. :) I'm new to gardening having lived in a flat for nearly 20 years so I love my garden even if it is in a bit of a state, I'll be following these boards for inspiration and maybe the odd bit of advice

http://imagejpg1.jpg
    Worrying won't stop bad stuff from happening, it just stops you from enjoying the good.
  • mrputney08
    mrputney08 Posts: 130 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You've got green fingers Ihavespoken, great stuff.
    In_Debt_Bet the top one looks great for wildlife, the bottom one not so much, but it all takes time doesn't it, often many years for a garden to feel loved and 'lived-in' again. I remember when I 1st started on my back garden I removed some hedging that was compromising anything growing underneath it, never did have the wren visit again which I felt bad about. But 10 years on I now have a pond, frogs, newts, slow worms, blackbirds bathing and feeding their young and many new shrubs and trees including several fruit trees which not only look great but my garden is now enjoyed by a much larger variety of flora and fauna. A garden, to me, anyhow is only 'made' by how others enjoy it and find it's usefulness in it, not only humankind, but for all.
  • aggypanthus
    aggypanthus Posts: 1,579 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The purple / blue flowers are Scabious 'Blue Jeans'. The large, pink thing in your garden is a Buddleja. I have three in my garden. The smell wonderful (you have to get up quite close and have a good sniff). They are known as the butterfly bush and are great for wildlife.

I Think its a lilac, buddleja flowers droop more downwards.
  • aggypanthus
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Gers, why did your neighbour cut down your plants?

buddleja should be cut down every yr, but I think it could be a lilac, if it is , it will have flowered earlier in late spring.
    Budd will be in flower now.
  • aggypanthus
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 18 August 2014 at 12:29AM
    Options
    Hello,

I am so pleased as I have finally finished my front garden. It has taken so long with lots of back breaking work, but all of the paths are in and everything is planted up and it looks lovely.

Just some of the back garden to finish now :rotfl:

Anyone else working on a garden project and if so how are you getting on?

spider
    Mine is 23 now and still evolving.

You have some good colour in yours.:T

protect the rudbeckia, mine didnt come up this yr due to the to underground slugs.
    or are they hellenium, ca nt quite see
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Gers wrote: »
    Here's one with three different leaves - on the right is definitely a buddjela but it didn't flower this year. The other two comprise the bush I posted up earlier.

[IMG][/img]Garden1.jpg

I hope that someone can identify the two plants.

Here's another view of the two plants which shows more clearly the differences.

Garden3.jpg

Sorry. No idea what these plants are. Not much use am I? :rotfl::rotfl:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Mine is 23 now and still evolving.

You have some good colour in yours.:T

protect the rudbeckia, mine didnt come up this yr due to the to underground slugs.
    or are they hellenium, ca nt quite see

Hello,

They are rudbeckias. I don't tend to worry too much about slug damage as I don't get that much. The holes in the picture are about as bad as things get. A combination of gravel paths and lots and lots or thrushes and blackbirds mean that most of the slugs and snails are eaten.

Now wind damage is another matter! The poppies in one of my pictures have now been flattened in patches.
  • aggypanthus
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Spider it looks like your plants are for sunny dry spots.
    I presume they are new plants this season, penstemmon may need protection if its a hard winter.
    Have you tried hardy cranesbill geraniums. ? Great snd varied for ground cover.
  • ClaireBetteridge
    Options
    gorgeous garden,

my husband and i, along with my 2 boys are just about to move into our new house we completed on yesterday, so cannot wait to get gardening :D only hope it doesnt take 9 years lol! xx
    Married in 2011. [STRIKE]buying[/STRIKE] bought our first house 2014 :beer::beer: :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure