We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Front garden finally finished - only took 9 1/2 years!

Options
124»

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Spider it looks like your plants are for sunny dry spots.
    I presume they are new plants this season, penstemmon may need protection if its a hard winter.
    Have you tried hardy cranesbill geraniums. ? Great snd varied for ground cover.

Hello,

Sorry not ignoring your post just been really busy over the last week so I have just not had the time to post.

The front border is in full sun and to the right of those plants (not shown in the photo) is a large Magnolia, large Elder and a Rowan. These trees keep that border quite dry. Most of the garden has really good soil except this border so I have planted for the conditions.

Thanks for the tip about the Penstemons. The plants are new this year. I do have the hardy geraniums (the pinks ones) further round the border I would like to plant some of the purple ones too as these are a nicer colour.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    gorgeous garden,

my husband and i, along with my 2 boys are just about to move into our new house we completed on yesterday, so cannot wait to get gardening :D only hope it doesnt take 9 years lol! xx

Hi,

Good luck with the gardening. A good idea is to grow some food as children love seeing things grow. Grow courgettes into marrows (not very edible anymore), but you can score names into their skins and watch them get bigger as the plant gets bigger. Peas are also great to eat straight from the pod.

Feel free to post pictures of the before and after on this thread if you want.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Tallu wrote: »
    That is just lovely - so well designed and beautiful. You must be thrilled!

You would be an excellent garden designer if you ever want a career change :rotfl:

Thank you for the flattering comment. However, if you saw how much I had changed the paths, and then made the path bigger, then smaller. Then planted things and then moved them I am not sure any one would have me design their garden. :)
  • REEN
    REEN Posts: 547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Gers, those 2 plants-there's a pink flower there that looks like spirea douglasii.
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,043 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Gers, why did your neighbour cut down your plants?

buddleja should be cut down every yr, but I think it could be a lilac, if it is , it will have flowered earlier in late spring.
    Budd will be in flower now.

My neighbour is a gardener and I asked her to trim things and tidy up generally. As I'm new to the place I want to wait a year to see what grows, what's good and what's not good.

She's cleared out nettles :j and done the mammoth task of removing huge and hated hostas and a number of overgrown ferns. Think the previous resident just filled the beds with green stuff, I want colour and herbs.

The lawn needs attention, in fact I think it needs removed, the soil replenished or replaced and new grass laid. My aim is to have it done next year.

Had a tree removed too which gives the remaining large spruce more room. Removing a large fern from under an old rose bush has rejuvenated it, it's now got masses and masses of lovely fragrant orangey-red flowers which are delightful.

The 'other' plant seems to be Spiraea tomentosa and it's right next to a Buddleja which didn't flower this year.

I'm so enjoying sitting out in the garden, it just needs a lot of professional attention so be even more lovely.
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,043 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Reen wrote: »
    Gers, those 2 plants-there's a pink flower there that looks like spirea douglasii.

Oh gosh... didn't read to the end of the thread before I posted! Sorry... :o will go and research the other spirea so thanks for the info.

My 'gardener' has advised me to have it removed but I'm not keen, it's got such lovely flowers and the birds love to sit in it.

Once again, thanks.
  • 9_inch
    9_inch Posts: 281 Forumite
    Options
    Seems a long time to do a garden.
  • REEN
    REEN Posts: 547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    9_inch wrote: »
    Seems a long time to do a garden.

It's taken me 23 years to finally get my garden the way I want it! No more swings, rabbits, basketball hoops and footballs, just plants and places to sit and chill with my grown-up boys!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure