Disability Scooter - on Road

Options

Comments

• schrodie
    schrodie Posts: 8,410 Forumite
    Options
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    At least hes not a tax evader !!

Just as well or you might have anonymously reported him for that;)

Well done again.
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    schrodie wrote: »
    And not an anonymous one at that!! ;)

Well done again.

Anytime !!
  • schrodie
    schrodie Posts: 8,410 Forumite
    Options
    Anytime !!

So it seems.

WAFI.
    :rotfl:
  • Parva
    Parva Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    Options
    Mobility scooters are made for one person. Going back to my youth days I used to give a 'saddle' (Yorkshire speak) to a friend on my bicycle. In the world today it's not the done thing I guess due to the compensation culture.

That said, mobility scooters are a much more recent thing and you certainly can't say that getting a 'saddle' or lift or whatever word you want to use is an accepted norm.

The usual trolls have jumped on this thread but the simple fact is simple, a 'vehicle' made for transporting one person is just that, designed for one person.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,097 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The line I picked up on was that "he can walk".

My wife can walk miles, but without a mobility walking aid would fall over after half a dozen steps, simply because of shingles in her ear, she had labyrinthitis and has complete loss of balance. Furniture is arranged to "grab" and poles erected with rope attached in the garden .

I look amazing for my age (so they say), but am a recovering bowel cancer patient, no bladder so have bag, heart attack, chronic kidney disease stage three, so the words "don't judge a book by it's cover" come to mind.
  • 50Twuncle
    Options
    islandman wrote: »
    The line I picked up on was that "he can walk".

My wife can walk miles, but without a mobility walking aid would fall over after half a dozen steps, simply because of shingles in her ear, she had labyrinthitis and has complete loss of balance. Furniture is arranged to "grab" and poles erected with rope attached in the garden .

I look amazing for my age (so they say), but am a recovering bowel cancer patient, no bladder so have bag, heart attack, chronic kidney disease stage three, so the words "don't judge a book by it's cover" come to mind.

But does this give him.the right to carry passengers ?
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just noticed that if a road has no pavement then you can legally use any mobility scooter on them - a lot of dual carriageways do not have pavements so this type of road could be used with any mobility scooter.
  • Parva
    Parva Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    Options
    boliston wrote: »
    Just noticed that if a road has no pavement then you can legally use any mobility scooter on them - a lot of dual carriageways do not have pavements so this type of road could be used with any mobility scooter.
    That's what I said several posts up. There is no obligation for owners of either 4mph or 8mph (road-going) scooters to be insured. I personally don't have either but I'll be damned sure to get insurance if and when I ever go the mobility scooter route, especially if I were to go for the road-going version. It's just not worth the risk doing without it.
  • 50Twuncle
    edited 8 August 2014 at 7:20AM
    Options
    Parva wrote: »
    That's what I said several posts up. There is no obligation for owners of either 4mph or 8mph (road-going) scooters to be insured. I personally don't have either but I'll be damned sure to get insurance if and when I ever go the mobility scooter route, especially if I were to go for the road-going version. It's just not worth the risk doing without it.

But not with passengers - that is my issue - not that be was risking his own life or causing traffic to swerve around him - whilst he negotiated a major roundabout at less than 4 mph !
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    But not with passengers - that is my issue - not that be was risking his own life or causing traffic to swerve around him - whilst he negotiated a major roundabout at less than 4 mph !

So how should disabled people get about with young children? Have you actually tried pushing a pram or holding a young child's hand while in an electric wheelchair?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure