MSE News: MoneySavingExpert.com sees second, more misleading pay demand from Npower

in Energy
30 replies 3.9K views
13»

Replies

• chanz4chanz4 Forumite
    10.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    article 5 years tooo late?
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • jamesdjamesd Forumite
    25.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    They are still doing essentially the same thing and have said that they will continue to do essentially the same thing.

Since that same thing is contrary to the unfair debt collection guidance that means that it is likely to take punitive action by their debt collection regulator to stop them.
  • What on earth is wrong with avoiding tax?!

Funny thing is MSE will be the first to report if the general public could do the same thing but if a company does it then it's massively wrong!

What they've failed to miss is it then makes their reporting just desperate to get a story.

MSN news articles are about as educative as reading the Daily Sport recently.
  • This is a poor effort, your crusades are getting more desperate MSE. This isn't a news worthy story, never mind the way your gunning for nPower (and I hate nPower!)

A constant desire or need to be seen to be doing something and driving new traffic to the site now it's no longer private perhaps?
  • GratisGratis Forumite
    478 Posts

I disagree with those who regard either of these two letters as being trivial and I am grateful to MSE for exposing both of them.

A company is an inanimate entity which functions through the actions of its directors (who are legally liable for what it does).

What both letters reveal is the morality of Npower’s directors and the dishonesty with which, under their direction, Npower functions.

It’s irrelevant whether or not those who receive these letters have acted in bad faith; the company should always act in good faith.

I don’t do debt, so without MSE revealing this fraudulent misrepresentation I would never have known about it. That is why I am obliged to MSE for exposing it and revealing why Npower is a company that does not deserve to receive my family’s custom. We shun dishonest and unscrupulous companies; they don’t deserve our money.

What those who argue that Npower’s behaviour in this matter is acceptable are actually arguing is that they regard dishonesty as being fine. In practice, they are telling the world that they, themselves, are dishonest.
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jnr.
  • haynickhaynick Forumite
    521 Posts
    Wow up to the minute reporting MSE -well done.

By the way I'm no npower fan - had many battles in the past with their customer service department.
  • Robin_DaviesRobin_Davies Forumite
    28 Posts
    Forumite
    Martin says:

'It's time we demanded honesty from companies'

I say:

'It's time we demanded honesty from customers'

Some time ago, a utility company (not Npower) told me that that of the customers who did not pay their bills, only a quarter were in the 'can't pay' category. The other three quarters were in the 'won't pay' category.

If it were not for those who are deliberately trying to steal from companies like Npower they might go easier on those who are genuinely in financial difficulties.
  • undauntedundaunted Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    jamesd wrote: »
    They are still doing essentially the same thing and have said that they will continue to do essentially the same thing.

Since that same thing is contrary to the unfair debt collection guidance that means that it is likely to take punitive action by their debt collection regulator to stop them.

I doubt it unfortunately - The OFT will say they have no authority over Ofgem & it's a matter for them. Ofgem will do nothing & Npower will continue as always
  • undauntedundaunted Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Martin says:

'It's time we demanded honesty from companies'

I say:

'It's time we demanded honesty from customers'

Some time ago, a utility company (not Npower) told me that that of the customers who did not pay their bills, only a quarter were in the 'can't pay' category. The other three quarters were in the 'won't pay' category.

If it were not for those who are deliberately trying to steal from companies like Npower they might go easier on those who are genuinely in financial difficulties.

But was there evidence to support this or was it just someones opinion? Npowers record on dealing with vulnerable customers has been widely criticised (including by Ofgem / Energywatch reviews) in the past
  • alanfpalanfp Forumite
    155 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    undaunted wrote: »
    No it's not. It's a debt! ;)

Well, it would be theft if your intention is to never pay ;);)

But isn't it amazing how people who would never dream of running out of Currys with a TV and shouting as they drive away "I'll pay you next year - just call it a debt" think it's quite acceptable to do the same thing with utility companies.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Gin, gee-gees & groceries

This week's MSE Forum highlights

Team Blog

2for1 adult tickets to theme parks

Via selected £1-£3 Kellogg's promo packs

MSE Deals