MSE News: MoneySavingExpert.com sees second, more misleading pay demand from Npower

MoneySavingExpert.com has seen another disingenuous letter sent by Npower purporting to be from an external debt firm ...
Read the full story:

MoneySavingExpert.com sees second, more misleading payment demand from Npower

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• Gratis
    Gratis Posts: 478 Forumite

What a bunch of fraudulent cowboys!

I’d be minded to send them photocopies of the relevant number of £50 notes, clearly marked “FAKE”, and add in small print that the originals are owned by me. :D

This saga alone has put me off ever dealing with Npower, no matter how cheap their tariffs.
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jnr.
  • undaunted
    undaunted Posts: 1,870 Forumite
    I'm no fan of Npowers dreadful customer service but still can't really see this as much of a story.

Your reporting on a 5 year old letter and something that various co.s chasing debt have done for years as if its some big new scandal?

It is obvious to anyone with half a brain that the co. is registered at Npowers address & part of their set up in my opinion but even if it wasn't so what?

You know you owe the money, you know whether you can pay it or not. If you can't then what does it matter who tries to collect it. These so called debt collectors are of no importance. They aren't coming round with baseball bats and demanding money you don't have with menaces. In reality you can simply tell them to go away if you want to - though it's unlikely many of them will ever even call in person - ie they will only do what they would do if the letter was still headed Npower so where is the problem here?

A bigger scandal is probably that Npower will send out Meter Plus (or whoever) & then charge the customer £25 - £30 or so for the visit despite knowing that they can't pay the bill in the first place.
  • Daza
    Daza Posts: 3,936 Forumite
    Simple -- don't want to get letters like this

PAY FOR YOUR GAS & ELECTRICITY YOU HAVE USED
    IT'S NOT YOURS - AND IF YOU DON'T PAY FOR IT, IT IS THEFT
  • Daza
    Gratis wrote: »
    I’d be minded to send them photocopies of the relevant number of £50 notes, clearly marked “FAKE”, and add in small print that the originals are owned by me.

making copies of banknotes (even if you write FAKE on them) is ILLEGAL and could land you in prison
  • Gratis
    Gratis Posts: 478 Forumite
    Daza wrote: »

You miss the point. I owe nothing (to anybody) but I don't wish to transact with a company that behaves misleadingly and fraudulently.

making copies of banknotes (even if you write FAKE on them) is ILLEGAL and could land you in prison

That is why I wrote that I'd be minded to do it and not that I would do it. :)
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jnr.
  • undaunted
    undaunted Posts: 1,870 Forumite

No it's not. It's a debt! ;)
  • maas
    maas Posts: 512 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    What a scoop!
    undaunted wrote: »
    I'm no fan of Npowers dreadful customer service but still can't really see this as much of a story.

Your reporting on a 5 year old letter and something that various co.s chasing debt have done for years as if its some big new scandal?

I must agree its another desperate attempt to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

Why outsource these letters to another company which is going to cost Npower more, ultimately increasing the cost for everyone. Keep sending them out, if it gets more people to cough up then the better.

If I owe NP £100, it makes no difference to me whether the letter comes from NP or ScoobyDoo Limited acting on behalf of NP. The issue is the debt, not the logo on the letter.
  • Daza
    undaunted wrote: »
    No it's not. It's a debt! ;)

Debt is theft if not paid back -- it is borrowed (IE. Not belonging to you)
  • tizerbelle
    tizerbelle Posts: 1,824 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    So MSE-Towers have decided to run a witch-hunt against npower.

I can understand the sentiment behind that but the issues with npower are nothing to do with a letter that was used over 5 years ago and isn't used now and even when it was used, it wasn't unlawful to do so and was only done to get people to pay their bills.

If you want to appear as a valiant consumer champion then go after npower for something current and relevant - not this daily fail style journalism.
  • Alpine_Star
    Alpine_Star Posts: 1,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Debt is theft if not paid back -- it is borrowed (IE. Not belonging to you)

Consumer debt is legally recognized as a civil matter, it does not fall within the criminal law and therefore it is not capable of amounting to theft.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure