🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Keeping child off school because it's their birthday!

Options

Comments

• Maryanneslapcabbage
    Options
    Do you still have to phone the school to let them know that your child won't be in that day? It's a long time since my kids were in school,but I remember I had to if they were sick.
    I wonder what that mum told the school?
    Can't imagine she said 'I'm keeping him off because of his birthday'!
    ;)
  • bluenoseam
    bluenoseam Posts: 4,612 Forumite
    Options
    At 15 it's probably not the wisest decision of all time! Then again I speak from the position of someone who's birthday falls during the school holidays.

So evidence suggests if you want your kid off during the school holidays, get busy around November/December.
    Retired member - fed up with the general tone of the place.
  • ecgirl07
    ecgirl07 Posts: 662 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    It was pretty traditional in a school I used to work in - just annoying that it didn't apply to adults in the building:(
  • JennyRowling
    Options
    I've seen lots of parents doing that. And I find it a waste. When I was little, I precisely wanted to go to school on my birthday AND volunteered to be examined :) No teacher dared to give me a low grade on my birthday (I studied of course).
  • catkins
    catkins Posts: 5,703 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    lika_86 wrote: »
    Who really cares? It's one day. Much worse to take your child out of school for a week to sit on a beach in Spain.

I agree that it's worse to take them out of school for a week but I wondered what other people thought of this as I don't think it is setting the child a good example.
    Firstly it's nobody else's business but the family concerned.

Secondly, this time of year they are doing nothing at school. Monday our school was closed for the Tour de France, yesterday my daughter spent the day spectating a teachers tug of war (yes the entire day, it was a knock out competition). Tomorrow the school is closed for a teachers strike. Next week she's out on school trips from Monday to Wednesday, Thursday is sports day, Friday is half day end of term clearing out classrooms and EOT assembly.

Would I take her out for something special that fell over these two weeks? Yes, I probably would.

They may not be doing much at school but just deciding not to send them because it's their birthday doesn't seem right to me
    Buzzybee90 wrote: »
    Most children want to be with their friends and family, thus go to school. None or my friends were ever kept off.

I'm guessing it was a boy?

No, it was a girl
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
  • catkins
    catkins Posts: 5,703 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Do you still have to phone the school to let them know that your child won't be in that day? It's a long time since my kids were in school,but I remember I had to if they were sick.
    I wonder what that mum told the school?
    Can't imagine she said 'I'm keeping him off because of his birthday'!
    ;)

Yes, dad phoned and said the child was sick
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
  • BAGGY
    BAGGY Posts: 522 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I wouldnt do it. But then I have twins so it would look a bit suspicious!
  • gingin_2
    gingin_2 Posts: 2,992 Forumite
    Options
    My son hasn't had a day off this school year, if there was something special we wanted to do on that day, I would. As it is, his birthday is always in half term, so it's never been an issue - I would be honest with the school though.

I've been doing the school pick-up and subsequent playground chat for 10 years now, parents are always very open, at least to me, about why they have kept their child off school when not sick. I could write a list of reasons why but it would take a long time. All have well adjusted, bright, happy kids who I am sure will turn into productive adults!
  • Mrs_Soup
    Mrs_Soup Posts: 1,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Haven't had this yet as my only child at school has an august birthday which is a pain in other ways. My son is actually quite upset that he doesn't get to go to school on his birthday as they take sweets in for the rest of the class. (they probably don't do this at 15 though.) When number 2 son with a march birtdhay is at school he'll be going. Pretty certain I must have gone to school on my birthday.
  • balletshoes
    balletshoes Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    Options
    catkins wrote: »
    What do people think about this?

Someone I know kept their child off school yesterday because it was their birthday (15). Although I didn't actually make any negative comment I did express surprise which didn't go down well!

I think birthdays are special days at any age but you can't just not have to go to school on that day. Why could they not do something at the weekend to celebrate it? Also what is it teaching the child? They start work and ask for their birthday as holiday and if refused they go sick?

Irresponsible parenting in my opinion

personally I think its a ridiculous idea and theres no way I'd ever do that.

However, its clearly not an exceptional case, as its one of the main reasons sent out on all of our letters from school on non-attendance (ie "children should not be taken out of school for birthdays, holidays, days out" etc).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport