MSE News: Should you call your bank before going abroad?

Options

Comments

• tobiascurious
    Options
    article wrote:
    Similarly, it's also a good idea to have your card provider's 24-hour telephone number with you, in case you need to contact it about any problems.
    Didn't a previous version of this article have a very useful list of what these numbers are? Because in my experience they're never that easy to find on bank websites..
  • markyuleuk
    markyuleuk Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I always let Halifax know when I am going away after my card was stopped in Japan In January. When I asked them why "It was because you never told us and your wife had used her card in the UK on the same day" since then I have not had a problem. I love the look on there face when I give the a piece of paper each month with about 5 counties that I will be visiting and dates, and say I may use my card abroad this month and here`s where.
  • WelshRarebit
    Options
    Last time I went abroad tried to use Co-Op Visa to pay for car hire in the States. Told them before leaving where I would be traveling, the dates and even the name of the car hire company I would be using. Also double checked they had up to date mobile phone details. In hindsight I don't know why I bothered. First time I use the card to pay for hire car card is rejected. Tried several more times which resulted in card getting blocked. Luckily I had other cards which worked no problem.

The best part is when I get home there are several messages on my home answer machine from Co-op fraud department asking me to call them back urgently. This is despite the fact that there were supposed to be notes on my account to say I would be out of the country and to contact me on mobile phone. I mean...whats the point of going to the trouble to inform these morons if they just ignore everything you tell them!?!
  • dmet
    dmet Posts: 21 Forumite
    edited 8 July 2014 at 11:58PM
    Options
    Reference Tesco Credit Card who say you don't need to contact them.

One thing not to do which I happened to do in New Zealand at the end of a 3 week holiday is use a credit card / bank card in a payphone. As it is a small value transaction, it flags up a classic low value fraud even though they are encouraged to be used in the call boxes.

It is common for card scammers to test the card with low value transactions before hitting it hard. I used a public phone box to call a friend twice as it didn't seem to connect first time which triggered a block. I didn't find out until trying to pay for a meal later. The downside was I had already paid for an apartment. Took a couple of days to track and got stopped.

I only found out when checking emails that they wanted paying, as well as the next nights accommodation calling through to my room at the same time I was on the phone to the card company who would not release it as I couldn't recall why I had low value transaction. To their credit I had a missed call on my mobile (not used overseas) and when I got home a message on my home phone. Not much use when you are on holiday.

Another note is a lot of public payphones in New Zealand and Singapore won't let you make reverse calls to companies so I couldn't sort things out until I got back to the UK 24 hours later.

My mistake was to not take a back up credit card.
  • lollipopsarah
    lollipopsarah Posts: 1,333 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We always phone ahead re holiday - i.e. where/when/how long and what we would use it for, likely duty free type stuff etc.
    xx
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,318 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    boots_babe wrote: »
    I don't understand why in the article Nationwide is listed as one of the ones you SHOULD call.

Every time we go away, I always call my banks just in case. Every time, Nationwide always tell me I don't need to tell them - I don't even get as far as telling them where I'm travelling, or dates.

They always say instead, to use the card for a transaction at the airport before leaving, as that way they'll know that I've travelled abroad.

So I'm not sure the article is quite up to date?

(I should add that I've rung them about 3 times a year for at least the last 2 to 3 years, and this has always been Nationwide's response).
    So if they don't need to know, why is there a facility on Nationwide's website to advise them of dates and destination for travel abroad?
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £460
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    NatWest don't want to know.
    I used to see how long it took them when I went to the US-it varied enormously.
    One time I bought an air ticket online and it showed as a US transaction and then bought stuff at my local corner shop that I use the card at frequently -so they blocked the card- as I apparently couldn't be in two countries on the same day (I now try to not use my card for 24 hours after arrival to avoid this issue).
    The one time my card was cloned and was used fraudulently in the US. I called -fraud dept said they had blocked the card- but the chap apparently didn't do it until I rang again two days later to say more charges had appeared (so their complaints team informed me when I complained at how long they were taking to replace the card)
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I phone ahead in the same way I check tetanus & EHIC status. Just to prevent it being an issue.
    I get responses from the trying to find somewhere to record it on the computer through to estimated dates & times - but I always call.
  • Indout96
    Indout96 Posts: 2,344 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    With HSBC you just fill in where you are going on the internet banking site and the dates. BUT it will only let you do one country at a time so on our cruise I had to fill 7 forms out :-(
    Totally Debt Free & Mortgage Free Semi retired and happy
  • Roger1
    Roger1 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    menai wrote: »
    I have just contacted SANTANDER, your information id incorrect. You do NOT have to notify them if using credit card in Europe.
    Yes, that's what they told me last time I called to tell them I was going away.
    harz99 wrote: »
    And what happens if your going further than Europe...............?
    Er, phone them?
    boots_babe wrote: »
    [about Nationwide] ... They always say instead, to use the card for a transaction at the airport before leaving, as that way they'll know that I've travelled abroad.
    :rotfl:

First time I've heard that! I make a point of NOT buying anything at the airport and have not had cards blocked. Even if I did, I'd use a different card.

Should I buy something on the way to Glasgow, just in case? :p

In any case, as pointed out by jackieblack, you can advise Nationwide in online banking. MBNA offer a similar facility but I don't use their cards outside the UK because of their currency surcharge robbery.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure