British Passport Services scam

Options

Comments

• hpuse
    hpuse Posts: 1,117 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Above and beyond legality - this shows how government is effective in tackling 'legal' rip-offs.

This guy Richard Howard must be a nutter to float this many copycat sites on the back of revenue from premium rate SMS scams, data theft and service numbers and then go ahead and issue court claims?....what a loser!?
  • hpuse
    Options
    Glad that copycat website are becoming a thing of past.
    The reason why I say is, now a days I do not see much of "customer servicing" in MSE forum , asking the all important question "Blyme, why did you not read the T&Cs - it is all written in bold" , isn't, wealdroam/Valli ? :o:o
  • hpuse
    Options
    The first 3 search pages of Google does not have any copycat websites index - including British Passport Services
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    hpuse wrote: »
    Glad that copycat website are becoming a thing of past.
    The reason why I say is, now a days I do not see much of "customer servicing" in MSE forum , asking the all important question "Blyme, why did you not read the T&Cs - it is all written in bold" , isn't, wealdroam/Valli ? :o:o

I have no idea what you mean by 'customer servicing'.

The point a lot of people made on various threads was that these companies redesigned their websites to prominently show a disclaimer that they were not affiliated to the official website and some even included a link to the official website.
    It was not hidden in the T&Cs.

I too am glad that these websites are becoming a thing of the past.
    Let's hope that it continues.
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/showthread.php?58752-UK-Services-amp-Support-Ltd-BRITISHPassportServices-Copycat-Website-issues-DISCUSSION&p=548833#post548833
    Clearly not having the balls to travel oop North, this what Mr Richard Howard missed today in Barnsley:

• A chance to meet Thelma, the loveliest court usher you would wish to meet

• A very brief hearing in which him and his company got a complete hammering

• His Claim dismissed in under 5 minutes (this should really now become the norm)

• A judge who was completely underwhelmed by Howard’s Witness Statement

• A judge who said that any alleged contract was terminated at the point that my step-son clicked away the site without going through the payment page.

• A judge who awarded damages of £1500 for harassment and breaches of the Data Protection Act. Along with £50 travel costs and £35 counter-claim fee. All to be paid in full within 14 days of the Order.

When is Howard going to learn he is unlikely to ever win in court?

Ideally I would like to see anyone – be it discontinued claims, dismissed claims or those who merely paid up out of fear – consider the prospect of issuing a claim for damages on the grounds of harassment & DPA breaches. If you have been sent multiple texts / emails or phone calls, you have been harassed. If your personal data has been compromised as it has been for my step son, they have breached the Data Protection Act and you deserve a damages award. Today has shown that we can stand up to pond-life spineless bullies like Howard and really hit him in the pocket. Let’s keep on doing it and then maybe, just maybe, he'll get the message.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    fermi wrote: »
    A judge who said that any alleged contract was terminated at the point that my step-son clicked away the site without going through the payment page.

I read the above and thought 'what a plonker this guy must be'.

I found the comment below on the LB website:
    Only a complete idiot would think a contract was formed when someone elected to not pay and therefore did not make an offer for the other side to consider, accept, decline etc. And its is a legal requirement in the formation of online contracts that a consumer explicitly acknowledges the need to pay by click the "Pay Now" button under the 2014 regulations for a contract to be entered in to - And prior to that it was common knowledge that was what was needed in order for an offer to have been made, and it was common knowledge that is payment failed or was declined then the offer was withdrawn.
    Let's hope this is the beginning of the end for these websites - regardless of the nature of the 'service' they offer - and also the end of this idiot taking people to court for ridiculous reasons.
  • hpuse
    Options
    This Richard Howard guy must have be high on drugs while having this great idea of sending court claims and winning default judgements ??

The judge has clearly said in this instance it is a breach of Data Protection Act.

No wonder some countries call such business and people floating them 'criminals'.....
    And folks....., do you now get it??
  • hpuse
    Options
    For Richard Howard of British Passport Services:
    SHERIFFS_STING_STILL001_640_360_s_c1.png
  • missprice
    missprice Posts: 3,735 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    hpuse wrote: »
    The first 3 search pages of Google does not have any copycat websites index - including British Passport Services

You keep asserting this but each time you do, I have a quick Google "renew UK passport" is the search term I use. And each time the first page has loads of copycat sites listed.

Although the first result is the legit site.
    63 mortgage payments to go.

Zero wins 2016 😥
  • esmerellda
    esmerellda Posts: 2,237 Forumite
    Options
    bingexample2.png 2015-06-03-21_15_30-british-passport-renewal-Google-Search-701x800.png
    googleexample2.png bingexample1.png googleexample1.png 2015-06-03-21_14_57-uk-passport-renewal-Google-Search-702x800.png

LegalBeagles
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure