We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

MPC may raise Interest Rates to 6% in August!

12357…19

Comments

  • dolce_vita
    dolce_vita Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    OK I've just spoken to my contact again and he says phlash is right.

    They could hold or they could go up.

    You heard it here first.

    I'll keep you all updated.
    dolce vita's stock reply templates

    #1. The people that run these "sell your house and rent back" companies are generally lying thieves and are best avoided

    #2. This time next year house prices in general will be lower than they are now

    #3. Cheap houses are a good thing not a bad thing
  • mystic_trev
    mystic_trev Posts: 5,434 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    dolce_vita wrote: »
    OK I've just spoken to my contact again and he says phlash is right.

    Looks like one way or another you'll be right! You're not a Politician, are you ?:rolleyes: No doubt we'll have dear Fiona in tomorrows Nationwide Housing figures telling us that although House Prices are still rocketing, there's no need for further rate increases 'cause prices will be leveling off soon :rotfl: Just like she's been saying for the past year or so.
  • phlash
    phlash Posts: 883 Forumite
    500 Posts
    dolce_vita wrote: »
    OK I've just spoken to my contact again and he says phlash is right.

    They could hold or they could go up.

    You heard it here first.

    I'll keep you all updated.

    :rolleyes:
    I can take no responsibility for the use of any free comments given, any actions taken are the sole decision of the individual in question after consideration of my free comments.
    That also means I cannot share in any profits from any decisions made!;)
  • Guy_Montag
    Guy_Montag Posts: 2,291 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    phlash wrote: »
    The next inflation report is out on the 8th of August, with the MPC's interest rate decision on the 2nd August. This is always an interesting one, because the MPC get sight of the inflation report whilst making August's decision. If the report is not favourable I suspect they will raise despite floods and back to back raises. The next CPI figure is out on the 14th August aswell.

    I suspect that they will not raise, but there will be a couple of votes of +0.25% from Merv and John Gieve. But Rachel Lomax and David Blanchflower will definately vote hold, which leaves the swingers who I am guessing will not want to 'shock' people too much, and will want a 'wait and see' approach. By doing that, they will get news of the inflation report and CPI figure in the following two weeks of the meeting, giving them perfect justification and media coverage to raise by 0.25% in September without it being too much of a shock.

    It's interesting to see how this split in the MPC's view pans out, I'd like to be there in the meetings, I think Merv is finding Rachel Lomax difficult!
    :kisses:

    I just like the idea that at the end of the meeting it turns into a swingers party & they all get naked & covered in baby oil.:grouphug:
    "Mrs. Pench, you've won the car contest, would you like a triumph spitfire or 3000 in cash?" He smiled.
    Mrs. Pench took the money. "What will you do with it all? Not that it's any of my business," he giggled.
    "I think I'll become an alcoholic," said Betty.
  • Melissa177
    Melissa177 Posts: 1,727 Forumite
    ROFL

    I've just nearly choked on my cup of tea as I read that.
    Errors of opinion may be tolerated where reason is left free to combat it. - Jefferson
  • Generali
    Generali Posts: 36,411 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Guy_Montag wrote: »
    :kisses:

    I just like the idea that at the end of the meeting it turns into a swingers party & they all get naked & covered in baby oil.:grouphug:

    How do you spell that noise Homer makes when a shiver goes down his back?

    The MPC

    It's the temp that takes the minutes I feel sorry for: "Now, I'd like you to take something down Miss Smith". Worst job in The City.
  • mystic_trev
    mystic_trev Posts: 5,434 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Guy_Montag wrote: »
    :kisses:

    I just like the idea that at the end of the meeting it turns into a swingers party & they all get naked & covered in baby oil.:grouphug:

    David Blanchflower would be up for it Slasher ;)

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Blanchflower
    Much of Blanchflower's work has focused on the economics of happiness. He has posited a correlation between age and happiness, declining through the 20s, 30s, and 40s before increasing in retirement. He has been labelled a "happiness guru" for his ability to quantify the increase in happiness for individuals who are married or have sex frequently
  • [IMG]http://www.homeincornwall.co.uk/Rachel Lomax gets oily.jpg[/IMG]

    looking goooood Rachel
  • RHemmings
    RHemmings Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Generali wrote: »
    Interesting news from the US.

    Interest rates being charged to big companies have risen by 1.5% over the past month meaning a rise in the interest charge of about 20%!

    This is very interesting. Can you tell us more or give references that would allow us to find out more.
  • RHemmings
    RHemmings Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Generali wrote: »
    The flooding should cause a short term fall in growth that will give the MPC a reason not to raise. It will do that for the simple reason that people can't get to work to produce the things that get added up to make GDP!

    But once the waters go down, won't many people be spending a lot of money to replace things that have been lost/damaged?
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.