We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
MPC may raise Interest Rates to 6% in August!
Comments
-
B.O.E. Governor would like to include cost of mortgages in the Retail Price Index?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/inside_money/6902569.stm0 -
MPC may raise Interest Rates to 6% in August!
About time too!0 -
Melissa177 wrote: »I've put a fiver on a .25 rate hike. Odds of 9/1 seemed to give a good risk:reward ratio.
That said, I won't be surprised if I lose my fiver.
Personally, I think you can wave goodbye to it. Given current events in the US credit markets I think the MPC is going to be pretty circumspect about raising rates any further.
They can't risk raising rates in the teeth of what is looking more-and-more like a US credit crunch.0 -
Im a total bear when it comes to property at the moment.
Will the MPC raise in August?
Not a chance in a million, back to back rate rises :rotfl:they dont wont to be the fall guys blamed with bringing down the housing market hence the softly softly approach in the hope inflation will go away.
Of course this approach can back fire big time in the future.0 -
I have just spoken to a major player in the city who is certain rates are going to hold next month.
You heard it here first.dolce vita's stock reply templates
#1. The people that run these "sell your house and rent back" companies are generally lying thieves and are best avoided
#2. This time next year house prices in general will be lower than they are now
#3. Cheap houses are a good thing not a bad thing0 -
Everyone just copies what Goldmans do anyway, as I understand it.
My boyfriends has just started heading the G7 interest rate trading desk at a medium sized bank in the City, and he reckons hold. That said, he reckoned it would rise in August earlier this year.Errors of opinion may be tolerated where reason is left free to combat it. - Jefferson0 -
Did I say hold?
I meant down.
You heard it here first.dolce vita's stock reply templates
#1. The people that run these "sell your house and rent back" companies are generally lying thieves and are best avoided
#2. This time next year house prices in general will be lower than they are now
#3. Cheap houses are a good thing not a bad thing0 -
dolce_vita wrote: »Did I say hold?
I meant down.
You heard it here first.
Interesting but I just don't see it. The quid would be destroyed on the foreign exchanges.0 -
Sorry, I meant up
You heard it here first
dolce vita's stock reply templates
#1. The people that run these "sell your house and rent back" companies are generally lying thieves and are best avoided
#2. This time next year house prices in general will be lower than they are now
#3. Cheap houses are a good thing not a bad thing0 -
dolce_vita wrote: »Did I say hold?
I meant down.
You heard it here first.
Not a chance I'm afraid! :rolleyes:
The odds are 169/1 on betfair. If your so confident, put 20 quid down and buy a new car for £3K on the 2nd August!
All the data that is out suggests it a two horse race, hold or raise. You'd only get one person voting cut at the MPC, and that would be David Blanchflower, and he's only done that once in the last 12 months. You'd need 5 of them to vote for the -0.25% for it to take place and it won't.
The swing voters (Tucker and Barker) are invariably hawkish, and therefore wish to raise rates, they just want to do it more slowly than Merv, Gieve, Sentance and Besley.I can take no responsibility for the use of any free comments given, any actions taken are the sole decision of the individual in question after consideration of my free comments.
That also means I cannot share in any profits from any decisions made!;)0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards