PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Living on $12,000 a year

Comments

• oldMcDonald
    oldMcDonald Posts: 1,945 Forumite
    I belong to a frugal forum aimed at the UK which is good for discussing and shareing ideas

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FrugalGeniusUK/
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Thanks Pandora123 - off for a quick look.

PS Crikey - looking at your "signature" - you are doing well at clearing that mortgage! Obviously going to make it on target - is this preparatory to downsizing?! (I got rid of mine early and am generally sorting out my finances - as who knows how things are going to go in this society? - but I am not that optimistic about it). Hence MSE - now off to an old-style take on breakfast of the skim milk has been replaced by full-fat milk watered down and bits of bread are kept to be made into breadcrumbs and then I'll hope the rain has stopped, so I can line-dry the washing for once - rather than tumbledrying it (I'm picking up all the tips grannie knew from here - as I couldnt do so from either of my grandmothers - they both died when I was tiny)

PS; Just had another thought - theres another potential book to be written here - any grannies out there that maybe might like to write a book on "Tips Granny Knows" (as in - not another budget book - but one specifically written from a Gran's viewpoint - with tales of implementing them in yr life as a child - and nice illustrations? - just a thought)
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    ceridwen wrote: »
    Thanks for comment re Tightwad book - perhaps being bit of a tightwad I am not v. keen on paying for my info!!
    All other suggestions welcome.
    Try the library? :confused: I do know a number of UK people ordered The Complete Tightwad a few years ago via their libraries and if you ask for it, your library can check with other libraries to see if they have it and order it in for you :)

I have The American Frugal Housewife book, fascinating read.
    PS; Just had another thought - theres another potential book to be written here - any grannies out there that maybe might like to write a book on "Tips Granny Knows" (as in - not another budget book - but one specifically written from a Gran's viewpoint - with tales of implementing them in yr life as a child - and nice illustrations? - just a thought)
    Martin wrote one - utilising all the tips from here. It's a tips book rather than a story book recounting experiences with nice illustrations: "Thrifty Ways For Modern Days" :D
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Hardup_Hester
    Hardup_Hester Posts: 4,800 Forumite
    Hi Mics_chick

My car insurance is high, cos when I bought the car, 2nd hand, I still had 2 kids who didn't drive & so needed a bigish car to get them & stuff for their hobby's in. I could now do with a smalller car, but can't afford to change it. Also I had no, no claims as I'd always been on ex hubby's insurance.

I'm not really sure why hubby's disability is so low, he gets it for mobility as he's not allowed to drive, he lost some of his eyesight in an industrial accident 14 years ago.

He works about 6 to 8 weeks once or twice a year as a building labourer, for a friend. We've been to see about getting him more help, but they refused. They have no interest in helping, sent him to a temp job in a warehouse where he couldn't read the barcodes so that was no good. Then sent him for an interview for a dustbinman, but they only wanted people who could drive!!

So I do 2 jobs, one full time & one part time to cover the bills & take in lodgers to pay for food.

Never let success go to your head, never let failure go to your heart.
  • cupid_s
    cupid_s Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    Your lizard costs a fortune to feed! What does it eat?

They eat locusts and crickets - I think £8 a week is quite cheap actually
  • Pandora123_2
    Pandora123_2 Posts: 517 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ceridwen wrote: »
    Thanks Pandora123 - off for a quick look.

PS Crikey - looking at your "signature" - you are doing well at clearing that mortgage! Obviously going to make it on target - is this preparatory to downsizing?!

ceridwen... I've PM'd you.

:A
    I want to move to theory. Everything works in theory.
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi Pandora123

Havent done the PM bit either way before - so hope I got it right! Got yr message thanks. Have sent one back - at least I think I have managed it okay! - hope so.
  • moanymoany
    moanymoany Posts: 2,877 Forumite
    Aril wrote: »
    Is anyone aware of any similar UK sites [apart from this] or thrifty blogs from this side of the pond please? I always enjoy the American ones but would think that perhaps I could glean more ones I could relate to more. I've been following Lauren's 365 frugal challenge over on the DFW board with interest.
    Aril

http://frugalliving.about.com/od/frugalliving101/a/What_Is_Frugal.htm

This is a fascinating site. There is also a newslatter.

About.com has sites about everything. I get the newsletter on French, there are many languages, craft, cooking, sewing, finance, mechanics - just about everything.

Sorry, just realised this is also American!

Here's an English one http://www.frugal.org.uk/
  • moanymoany
    moanymoany Posts: 2,877 Forumite
    cupid_s wrote: »
    They eat locusts and crickets - I think £8 a week is quite cheap actually

Your SOAs says your lizard costs you £416 a month, so it was a teeny bit confusing. I imagined something the size of Godzilla! :eek: Glad to see it must be a touch smaller, the neighbours might object else!
  • cupid_s
    cupid_s Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    Originally Posted by cupid_s viewpost.gif
    this is what we spend in a year:

mortgage 4920
    gas/elec 720
    train pass 720
    groceries 1560
    lizard food 416
    water 290
    mobile phones 180
    tv 145
    christmas 100
    train to visit family 85
    birthday presents 100
    house insurance 375
    going out 1300
    clothes 500
    holidays 1100
    extras 900
    broadband 240
    contact lenses 120

totalling 13771

Everything was what we spend in a year! We'd be in serious trouble if we spent that much each month lol
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure