PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Living on $12,000 a year

Options

Comments

• needmoney
    needmoney Posts: 4,932 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    moanymoany wrote: »
    It's surgical spirit. Has anyone used these as deoderant - and more importantly - does it work. :D

I know someone with very smelly feet and when they went into hospital the doctor remarked on this and advised using it once a day after washing and it does work :D
    Women and cats will do as they please and men and dogs should get used to it.;)
    Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Chipps
    Chipps Posts: 1,550 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What is in the tightwad gazette? I've never heard of it before reading the post.

The Tightwad Gazette is a compilation of articles from a newsletter started by Amy Dacyczyn, who believed that it was possible to have a family and buy a "rural pre-1900 New England farmhouse (with attached barn)" She said "I had a crazy notion that I could have both without the two-income/daycare frenzy that has become the norm for the modern American family"

She decided to do this by living as frugally as possible, to such an extent that she was nicknamed the "frugal zealot". Not surprisingly, she and her husband felt they were alone in this lifestyle, but realising there probably were other like-minded people somewhere, decided to publish a newsletter for "mutual support and the exchange of frugal ideas." The newsletter ran for 6 years, after which they had made enough money to be able to close the business and retire early, still living their frugal lifestyle.

The book is a combination of tips and articles where she has researched what is the cheapest way of doing/buying something. She says she received a lot of letters from people complaining that certain articles weren't relevant to them, but her reply was that "in each of these articles, the process - digging for the least expensive option - is relevant to me. And every once in a while I know that the lessons are getting through when a reader takes it upon herself to solve a problem."

So, although the individual articles may not be relevant here and now, it is the whole way of looking at things that is helpful. Her "tightwaddery" is probably more extreme than most of us would be comfortable with (I know it is for me) but then again, look at the results they achieved! It's definitely worth a read if you can get hold of it - see if it's possible to order it from your library!
  • Thistle-down
    Thistle-down Posts: 914 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Chipps wrote: »
    although the individual articles may not be relevant here and now, it is the whole way of looking at things that is helpful. Her "tightwaddery" is probably more extreme than most of us would be comfortable with (I know it is for me) but then again, look at the results they achieved! It's definitely worth a read if you can get hold of it - see if it's possible to order it from your library!

:T I agree completely. I do find much of it relevant to me but the most valuable thing about the book is that whenever I feel the urge to splurge I pick up the book and it gives me the right mindset to continue my frugal efforts.

I think it is a book worth owning.
    :happylove
  • azjh77
    azjh77 Posts: 925 Forumite
    Options
    Our annual income is about £12k, for a family of 6. When you take out the 'compulsories' like mortgage/council tax/utilities, you have 'spent' £8k, before you even start on food, a car, clothes, debt repayments......I long for the day when I can go SOS with my money.

15 crafts for 2015 challenge.
    Christmas 2015 - started to save/wrap!
  • FrankieM
    FrankieM Posts: 2,454 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    azjh77 wrote: »
    Our annual income is about £12k, for a family of 6. When you take out the 'compulsories' like mortgage/council tax/utilities, you have 'spent' £8k, before you even start on food, a car, clothes, debt repayments......I long for the day when I can go SOS with my money.

Thanks for that....
    I've been reading this thread with real interest, but those managing on such a small amount seemed to be singles or small families.
    I was wondering how possible it was for a larger family.
    We are 6 as well.
    I'd love to know what your budget break down is, if you wouldn't mind sharing it, that is.....
  • FZwanab
    FZwanab Posts: 472 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    :T I agree completely. I do find much of it relevant to me but the most valuable thing about the book is that whenever I feel the urge to splurge I pick up the book and it gives me the right mindset to continue my frugal efforts.

I think it is a book worth owning.

I wish she had done a follow up book for her teenagers, I'd love to know what way she is living now.
    Penny xxx
    Old age isn't bad when you consider the alternative.
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options

Buy this book with More-with-less Cook Book by Doris Janzen Longacre today! 11BB39DVZZL.jpg plus-sign-10x10._V45450770_.gif019FK5ZWVYL.jpg Buy Together Today: £20.21

My bibles ;) I wrote this review of More With Less on Amazon

stars-5-0._V45450368_.gifMy absolute favourite cookbook, 13 Dec 2005
    Reviewer: A reader

I am a cookbook addict, but amongst all the Jamies, Nigels and Nigellas on my bookshelf this modest little book is the one I actually cook from.The recipes require a set of U.S cup measures(easily obtainable), are all easy to follow and to adapt, and call for cheap, basic everyday ingredients.The introductory pages consist of a thought provoking call to all of us in the west to consume less so that others might simply live.I now have two copies; one for my bedside and one for the kitchen.I have read it cover to cover many times and always leave it feeling inspired
  • moanymoany
    moanymoany Posts: 2,877 Forumite
    Options
    Thriftlady, can you please give us some idea of the sort of recipies there are in the book. I'm interested in it but I don't want to buy it without some idea of the contents.

I've been to the library today and ordered 'Frugal for Dummies', but to get the Tightwad Gazette I would have had to pay £2.60 to get it from outside the area.....!

I looked for this book, but they don't have it in the area either.

Thanks.

Looking for Thriftlady's entry on Amazon I looked up Tightwad and ordered the original and II for .01p each, plus postage.
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi Moanymoany,
    The recipes in More With Less are pretty ordinary really. They are certainly not gourmet or full of fashionable ingredients. They use simple everyday ingredients but take very kindly to adaptation and experimentation. for example whenever a recipe calls for margarine or shortening I use butter, oil I usually use olive. You can spice things up if that's what you like.

These are some of my regulars -which I freely add to and adapt;
    basic dry cereal formula (granola)
    sprouts salad -beansprouts ,slad leaves, sunflower seeds other veg
    quick fruit cobbler -simple mixture of flour, sugar, milk with fruit -baked
    honey-baked chicken
    biscuits -these are like scones to serve with savoury dishes
    baked lentils with cheese (I posted this recipe on the thread about lentils)
    quick chocolate pudding -milk, cornflour, cocoa and sugar -kids love this and can be made into chocolate ice lollies
    roasted sunflower seeds -hm munchy seeds
    buttermilk pancakes -I use yogurt, I posted the recipe on the recipe board thread recently

There are lots of bean and lentil recipes so plenty for veggies.

These are the recipe chapter headings
    yeast and quick breads
    cereals
    beans, soybeans and lentils
    main dishes and casserole (note that US casseroles are more akin to pasta bakes than stews)
    eggs, milk and cheese
    meats and fish
    soups
    vegetables
    salads
    desserts, cakes, and cookies
    gardening and preserving
    snacks and miscellaneous

Why don't you go to Amazon.com and read the reviews there -there are loads -nearly all favourable ;)
  • azjh77
    azjh77 Posts: 925 Forumite
    Options
    FrankieM wrote: »
    Thanks for that....
    I've been reading this thread with real interest, but those managing on such a small amount seemed to be singles or small families.
    I was wondering how possible it was for a larger family.
    We are 6 as well.
    I'd love to know what your budget break down is, if you wouldn't mind sharing it, that is.....

I'm ashamed to say that my budget is rubbish, we barely cope, and I tend to feed the kids LOTS of pasta! Once all my debts are paid off though I will start doing things properly. As it is we have about £45 per week for food - we have lots of pasta/noodles/beans on toast. We grow some veg, (and have had a good crop of raspberries this year)...but mostly. We go without a lot!

15 crafts for 2015 challenge.
    Christmas 2015 - started to save/wrap!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family