PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Living on $12,000 a year

Options

Comments

• Aril
    Aril Posts: 1,877 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks for all the leads everyone. I've just signed up for the Yahoo group. Hope some of you do set up a blog...would definitely be popping in:D
    Aril
    Aiming for a life of elegant frugality wearing a new-to-me silk shirt rather than one of hair!
  • Chipps
    Chipps Posts: 1,550 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi
    This is all really interesting. I love to read the US frugal living websites & blogs, and have a well-worn copy of the Tightwad Gazette.
    If you get a chance to read it, even though it is for the US and 10 years or more old, it is still worthwhile because Amy Da-whats-her-name says that the idea of the book is not just to copy tips for frugal living, but to learn how to approach things with a frugal mindset. So although the costings etc are not relevant, the process of how to cost things is relevant - if that makes sense.
  • moanymoany
    moanymoany Posts: 2,877 Forumite
    Options
    Has anyone read the book 'the millionaire next door' it is a real eye opener as many of the examples given are of people who live frugally through choice and accumulate the balance?

A penny saved is a penny earned.

Develop the Yorkshire war cry - OW MUCH!

I've a Yorkshire grandfather so it's ok - ;)

Buy this book with More-with-less Cook Book by Doris Janzen Longacre today! 11BB39DVZZL.jpg plus-sign-10x10._V45450770_.gif019FK5ZWVYL.jpg Buy Together Today: £20.21

Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought More-with-less Cook Book by Doris Janzen Longacre <LI id=sims.purchase.0091912776>Thrifty Ways For Modern Days by Martin Lewis <LI id=sims.purchase.0764554034>Frugal Living for Dummies (For Dummies (Lifestyles Paperback)) by Deborah Taylor-Hough <LI id=sims.purchase.1843170566>Mr Thrifty's How to Save Money on Absolutely Everything by Jane Furnival <LI id=sims.purchase.0764226126>Miserly Moms: Living on One Income in a Two-Income Economy by Jonni McCoy
    [*]Smart Spending with Jane Furnival: You Can Save a #1000 in Four Weeks by Jane Furnival
    I looked up Tightwad gazette and this little lot came up. I wonder if anyone has used any of them.

What is in the tightwad gazette? I've never heard of it before reading the post.
  • larmy16
    larmy16 Posts: 4,324 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I read this in a letter to a Newspaper today. "I don't need an incentive to save - I just need some spare cash!" We know how they feel. :)
    Grocery Challenge £139/240 until 31/01
    Taking part in Sealed Pot No.819/2011
    Only essentials on Ebay/Amazon

• moanymoany
    Options
    larmy16 wrote: »
    I read this in a letter to a Newspaper today. "I don't need an incentive to save - I just need some spare cash!" We know how they feel. :)

I come from a poor one parent family + grandma. There were times we ate bread and gravy for days. Mum was always in debt to the tallyman. I believed she was too poor to save anything and we lived very frugally anyway.

Then I read the Millionaire next door and at pages 52/53 my whole perception of my mother's ability to manage was changed.

This is a description of a similar family, one difference was 2 parents who smoked. It was their son who thought the way I did about his parent's money management.

What the person writing the book said to this man was, if your parents had invested the cost of the three packs of ciggies they smoked throughout their lifetime in the company who produced them, reinvested all the dividends and never sold the shares for the 46 years they smoked, the couple would have had a tobacco portfolio worth over $2 million. This is how small change can be transformed into significant wealth.

I thought about my mum. My grandma ran a three bed council house and herself on £4.10shillings a week in the 50's and early 60's. She had a lodger for 50% of the time at £3.10shillings a week, all meals provided. She very often fed my sister and me and she knitted all our woolies and bought the wool. She also made most of our clothes and bought the fabric from the market. She had no debt. This was before we went to live with her.

My mum earned £8 - 9 a week. We went to live with grandma when mum left my dad in 1961. She should have let grandma handle all the money. :rolleyes:

Those of us who read the moneysaving old style threads know how easily the little luxuries become essentials. The debtfree wannabees who can't live without mobile accounts at £30 a month, sky and gym membership. These things eat away at the money. My god. it's not easy, but it is possible to live on very little.
  • Lyndsay_21
    Lyndsay_21 Posts: 816 Forumite
    Options
    i think we have it easier over here when it comes to things like benefits etc, over there they get welfare which i thing is very much more stigmatised than people on benefits over here.

plus i remember watching extreme makeover:home edition and this family were literally living in a 2 bed hut and i think they're where 13 of them and i was thinking i dont think that would happen over here,it really was awful.
    Other women want a boob job. Honey the only silicone i'm interested in is on a 12 cup muffin tray, preferably shaped like little hearts :heart:
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just come across good book "Frugal Living for Dummies" - American again I'm afraid. Written in 2003. By Deborah Taylor-Hough ISBN 0-7645-5403-4. Reading my (borrowed) copy at present.

One tip is using with hazel, rubbing alcohol or baking soda as deodorant. Good idea thinks me - cant remember what the English translation of rubbing alcohol is tho - can anyone enlighten me please?
  • moanymoany
    Options
    ceridwen wrote: »
    Just come across good book "Frugal Living for Dummies" - American again I'm afraid. Written in 2003. By Deborah Taylor-Hough ISBN 0-7645-5403-4. Reading my (borrowed) copy at present.

One tip is using with hazel, rubbing alcohol or baking soda as deodorant. Good idea thinks me - cant remember what the English translation of rubbing alcohol is tho - can anyone enlighten me please?

It's surgical spirit. Has anyone used these as deoderant - and more importantly - does it work. :D
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks moany moany.

NB Typo - its witch hazel - not hazel. Apologies.
  • needmoney
    needmoney Posts: 4,932 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I earn £12,324 a year & we have lived on it, though it means only having £20 a week for food & no leeway at all for emergencies. I know I couldn't do it this year as all my utility bills went up by about £5 each a month & my council tax went up by £47 pcm. My wages went up by £4.16 pcm.
    How do they think people can afford those kind of rises.

I can remember all those things too JackieO and when she died at almost 91 my mother had never owned a washing machine.
    retired myself my income is just under £6000 but I have saving to draw on and every year have to use more so they are fast dwindling, how people with children to support manage these days baffles me they have my sympathy because things can only get worse everything but wages just seem to go up and up.
    Women and cats will do as they please and men and dogs should get used to it.;)
    Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport