PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Living on $12,000 a year

Comments

• susan1
    susan1 Posts: 319 Forumite
    how can you eat 4 peanut butter and jam sandwiches for breakfast as reccomended in the living on $12,000. :confused:
  • luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Until I was able to go back to work we lived on OM's money. (This was 10 years ago): 2 adults, 3 kids + mortgage + a very shabby car (owned).

We were trapped as he j-u-s-t earned too much for any benefits. If we had been paying the same amount in rent as we did mortgage we would have been entitled to free milk, prescriptions, school uniform, etc as well as Family Income supplement (as it was then called).

Every time OM had a payrise it disappeared under the price rises and we had to take a step back. As Hester and Larmy said it felt like we were surviving not living. Packed lunches were compulsory - I could not afford school dinners, youngest was in terry nappies so that DD could go to playgroup, I did not have 36p to buy 3 mini milks (cheapest lolly in the park) so my kids had HM biscuits there and a HM squash lolly at home. They wore hand-downs, charity shop and HM clothes. - DD had to have a red jumper not a pink one so that her younger brother could wear it etc etc I just wish MSE had existed then - but we could not have afforded a computer!

It is so hard and I admire and respect your courage and determination.
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • larmy16
    larmy16 Posts: 4,324 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I am not sure but a few years ago I think I read that your accommodation should account for 1/4 - 1/3 of your income. Well my accommodation alone is very nearly 1/2 my income. OK I know that I am a single person but I think the tax allowances should reflect this also. I am all for the tax system aiding married couples, but one person cannot live as cheaply as two - its impossible.

Rightly or wrongly the benefit system is a very attractive alternative to low paid work, which is why lots of couples declare themselves as apart yet live together. All you need is another address and the DSS can do nothing.

I hope they raise the tax threshold soon or I shall be drowning under a mountain of living expenses.
    Grocery Challenge £139/240 until 31/01
    Taking part in Sealed Pot No.819/2011
    Only essentials on Ebay/Amazon

• cupid_s
    cupid_s Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    DH and I live on about 13.5k a year between us. We actually earn more (pick up 21k) but overpay our mortgage by about £7500 a year.

Looking at what we afford to do on that amount I can't understand how a couple with no children can spend so much more than us as we don't really go without anything.
  • Mics_chick
    Mics_chick Posts: 12,014 Forumite
    cupid_s wrote: »
    DH and I live on about 13.5k a year between us. We actually earn more (pick up 21k) but overpay our mortgage by about £7500 a year.

Looking at what we afford to do on that amount I can't understand how a couple with no children can spend so much more than us as we don't really go without anything.

Please share your secret with everyone else then... :D
    You should never call somebody else a nerd or geek because everybody (even YOU !!!) is an
    "anorak" about something whether it's trains, computers, football, shoes or celebs :p :rotfl:
  • cupid_s
    cupid_s Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    Mics_chick wrote: »
    Please share your secret with everyone else then... :D

this is what we spend in a year:

mortgage 4920
    gas/elec 720
    train pass 720
    groceries 1560
    lizard food 416
    water 290
    mobile phones 180
    tv 145
    christmas 100
    train to visit family 85
    birthday presents 100
    house insurance 375
    going out 1300
    clothes 500
    holidays 1100
    extras 900
    broadband 240
    contact lenses 120

totalling 13771

We get enough vouchers off survey and cashback sites to cover a lot of our christmas and birthday presents spends and some household things we need, and we use our tesco clubcard vouchers to go out for a nice meal once every couple of months.
  • Hardup_Hester
    Hardup_Hester Posts: 4,800 Forumite
    Here is how mine works out per month
    Mortgage £314.86
    Council Tax £120
    Home phone Mobile x 2 & Broadband £40
    Gas £31
    Electric £38
    Water £42
    Car Ins £70
    Car Tax £15
    Petrol £4
    TV Licence £9
    Monthly that works out at £742.16 & Yearly at £8905.92
    When I said I earn £12k I meant gross, my takehome pay is £9996pa.
    After all the above are paid we're left with £90 to feed & clothe the 2 of us for a month.

Never let success go to your head, never let failure go to your heart.
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    to person thinking of setting up own blog - might find few ideas here:

www.homesteadblogger.com/home.php

got this via the USA copycat site of MSE - ie

www.totallyfrugal.com
  • savingmum
    savingmum Posts: 72 Forumite
    This has been a very interesting thread as I visit US frugal sites and yes they seem to be able to live a lot cheaper than here in the UK.

I have a question though - are people not able to claim tax credits if they earn under £14000/yr as I thought even couples were able to claim?
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    further thought:

www.alternative.nu/ecologybeginsathome/EcologyBeginsAtHome.pdf

free e-book - all ideas that are grist to t'mill.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure