Bifolds

Options

Comments

• kah22
    kah22 Posts: 1,830 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    ytfcmad wrote: »
    That's over the top by roughly £2k, Schuco are a good brand but no better than many others and are far from the biggest seller in the UK for this type of product.
    The colour you want is probably RAL7016, the biggest selling Grey in the UK.
    If you want to know anything else let me know, i work for the UK's biggest Aluminium system company (only supply the trade) so cant sell you anything but can help with technical questions and who's worth trying.
    I'm moving my kitchen from it's present area to an unused bedroom ensuite. I'm hoping to include aluminium bifold doors. My architecht suggests 4x800mls opening out. The proposed new kitchen is single story.

I hope to visit some suppliers within the next two weeks. What are the practical key questions I should be asking regarding the likes of standards, heat retention. The kind of infomation that may be spun or mis spun in a sales pitch.

I'm living in the North of Ireland and if any of you guys can recommend firms operating in the North that would be great. As I live close to the border suppliers in the Republic are also a possible option.
  • ds1980
    ds1980 Posts: 1,213 Forumite
    Options
    We've just ordered 4m x 2m ral7016 smart visofolds with integral blinds. Fitted for just over £3k. Ask suppliers once you've decided on which types you want if they have any returns. Saved me nearly 50%. Thanks to all the help on here.
  • ytfcmad
    ytfcmad Posts: 380 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    kah22 wrote: »
    I'm moving my kitchen from it's present area to an unused bedroom ensuite. I'm hoping to include aluminium bifold doors. My architecht suggests 4x800mls opening out. The proposed new kitchen is single story.

I hope to visit some suppliers within the next two weeks. What are the practical key questions I should be asking regarding the likes of standards, heat retention. The kind of infomation that may be spun or mis spun in a sales pitch.

I'm living in the North of Ireland and if any of you guys can recommend firms operating in the North that would be great. As I live close to the border suppliers in the Republic are also a possible option.

There's not much they can spin, they all do the same thing, u values will differ but you will never notice, don't know what you mean by standards.
  • kah22
    kah22 Posts: 1,830 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    There's not much they can spin, they all do the same thing, u values will differ but you will never notice, don't know what you mean by standards.
    Standards: Good point not to sure what I actua mean myself. I suppose I'm thinking what is the key information I need to get from them eg you mentioned u values is there any other specification I should be watching out for?
  • ytfcmad
    Options
    kah22 wrote: »
    Standards: Good point not to sure what I actua mean myself. I suppose I'm thinking what is the key information I need to get from them eg you mentioned u values is there any other specification I should be watching out for?

Just the price, all the products above are about the same technically some just feel or look a little better, beauty is in the eye of the beholder so to speak.
  • nick4692
    nick4692 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just the price, all the products above are about the same technically some just feel or look a little better, beauty is in the eye of the beholder so to speak.
    All modern double glazing products are required to meet certain standards for security, thermal efficiency and others. All meet the standards, some products exceed them. It all depends how much these standards matter to you. For example some doors may have passed Secured by Design testing for security but that does not mean doors which have not are somehow less secure.
    A lifetime of double glazing and trying to improve the image of it.
  • nick4692
    nick4692 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    zum wrote: »
    Looked at ALUK today , not very good at all. At the moment our top 2 are Kloeber and Sunflex.
    AluK actually make very good bifolding doors and are one of the popular products out there. You can also look at Origin Doors that are arguably the market leader in bifolds with very high standards of customer service. Schuco, Reynaers, Kloeber, Sunfold and Sunflex are also targeted at the premium customer. Smarts are also "ok" but available at such varying prices throughout the UK it's hard to pinpoint the price points of Smarts. Some give Smarts products away, others charge much more.
    A lifetime of double glazing and trying to improve the image of it.
  • ytfcmad
    Options
    nick4692 wrote: »
    All modern double glazing products are required to meet certain standards for security, thermal efficiency and others. All meet the standards, some products exceed them. It all depends how much these standards matter to you. For example some doors may have passed Secured by Design testing for security but that does not mean doors which have not are somehow less secure.

Thanks for that Nick Dar.....
  • oaks20
    oaks20 Posts: 6 Forumite
    edited 22 March 2015 at 8:27PM
    Options
    We also went to Grand Designs Live and after lots of research we decided to go with Schuco Bifolds doors, our thinking, these doors need to work for a long time so better to invest a little more money in the product. Had them fitted two months ago by a company called slideorfold they are schuco manufacturers, very helpful and very reasonably priced.
    BTW Doors are fantastic can't wait for the summer.
  • leveller2911
    leveller2911 Posts: 8,061 Forumite
    edited 21 March 2015 at 6:48PM
    Options
    Oaks, you may want to delete the link you posted to the company, As a new member your not allowed to promote companies otherwise theres nothing to stop the company your promoting from setting up various accounts on here and posting what a great company they are to deal with.

May be an idea to read the rules re spam......

Glad your pleased with the doors.:D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure