Forum Home» Budgeting & Bank Accounts

MSE News: Tesco Bank launches its first current account – is it any good?

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

MSE News: Tesco Bank launches its first current account – is it any good?

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
34 replies 9.5K views
Former_MSE_HelenFormer_MSE_Helen
2.4K posts
edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
Tesco Bank has today launched a new current account paying interest and giving Clubcard points...
Read the full story:

Tesco Bank launches its first current account – is it any good?
OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Replies

• hi,
    just applied for joint account, got declined!

I have several bank accounts, in joint names, i have been a club card customer for years.
    Yes i have a poor credit 'number' my joint applicant doesn't, i also didn't request an overdraft facility!

I am getting rather sick of been blocked for accounts (where no credit facility is requested) due to my other debts (all been paid on time !), rather quite sick of it.
    I have x2 AR markers on my accounts - should have defaulted!!!
    I have 20 months and counting unitl they are paid off, yes they will still show because the system stinks.... those who are trying to get on the straight and narrow after having problems, are given loans at high %, no wonder the pay day loan comapnies do so well!
    Sorry really pi**ed off at the system of credit files they need a major over haul to be fair to people trying to dig themselves out of an hole (my debt was due to 2007 down turn and caring for an elderly relative and shorter working hours!)
    Sorry to go on but feel better now - can the forum address the AR problems..........with the FSA!!
    :D
  • Butterfly_BrainButterfly_Brain Forumite
    8.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! Post of the Month
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wouldn't touch Tesco with a ten foot bargepole
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • Where would you go to pay in cheques etc? If its only being trialled in 3 stores?
  • If their Current Accounts are run like their stores I would not go neat them in a million years!
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • theianfoxtheianfox Forumite
    45 posts
    Where would you go to pay in cheques etc? If its only being trialled in 3 stores?

It says paid in by post on the website.
  • davethorpdavethorp Forumite
    1.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    hi,

If it is any consolation I got declined too, something which Tesco felt the need to leave 3 different messages asking me to contact them on an 0845 number just to tell me I was declined - most will simply send me a letter written in crayon telling me to sod off!

I have a Santander 123 and a TSB Classic Plus account so I'm not exactly losing any sleep over them declining me as both of them are far better than Tesco's account

• Where would you go to pay in cheques etc? If its only being trialled in 3 stores?

As the article says.

You can make deposits and withdrawals at the customer services desks of over 300 Tesco, Tesco Extra and Tesco Metro stores, but no other in-branch facilities are available. Customer service desks tend to open until 8pm/9pm, although this will vary by store.
  • GingerFurball_2GingerFurball_2 Forumite
    990 posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭
    hi,

I have several bank accounts, in joint names, i have been a club card customer for years.
    Yes i have a poor credit 'number' my joint applicant doesn't, i also didn't request an overdraft facility!

I am getting rather sick of been blocked for accounts (where no credit facility is requested) due to my other debts (all been paid on time !), rather quite sick of it.
    I have x2 AR markers on my accounts - should have defaulted!!!
    I have 20 months and counting unitl they are paid off, yes they will still show because the system stinks.... those who are trying to get on the straight and narrow after having problems, are given loans at high %, no wonder the pay day loan comapnies do so well!
    Sorry really pi**ed off at the system of credit files they need a major over haul to be fair to people trying to dig themselves out of an hole (my debt was due to 2007 down turn and caring for an elderly relative and shorter working hours!)
    Sorry to go on but feel better now - can the forum address the AR problems..........with the FSA!!

A current account is still a credit product, regardless of whether you wanted an overdraft.
    DEBT FREE!

Debt free by Xmas 2014: £3555.67/£4805.67 (73.99%)
    Debt free by Xmas 2015: £1250/£1250 (100.00%)
  • LeeUKLeeUK Forumite
    7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rather keep using a bank with a bricks and mortar branch for those times that I need to pay cash or cheques into the account. Preferably one with a large branch network with one on nearly all high streets. Things like Nationwide, Co-op, Santander don't cut it.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support